Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic ZIP 1080 propaganda (Read 3611 times)
Marty Foote

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

ZIP 1080 propaganda
Dec 19th, 2017 at 11:33am
Print Post  
Letter sent to Laura Mills (Greymouth Star) and Will Harvie (The Press).

Dear Laura and Will,

I am writing to you as the two of you are at the media forefront of the promotional drive ZIP is running to promote ZIP's aerial 1080 business model. You have accepted everything ZIP has told, at face value, as fact without doing your own historical research into other aerial 1080 operations that have taken place in the Arawhata River area.

Contract trappers have proven to do a better job than aerial 1080 when all the information is gathered and analysed. When all the aerial 1080 monitoring results are analysed it becomes very apparent that the results being claimed, by the 1080 industry, do not match the results being recorded by successive wild animal monitoring data collections taken over many years.

I have received DOC monitoring data for the Kahurangi National Park going back to 2008. I have analysed about half the area covered by aerial 1080 and there is a very clear failure for aerial 1080 to meet both the possum and rat targets set out in the aerial 1080 reports and plans.

It is expected, by the NZ Public, that the mainstream media will check facts before printing or broadcasting and it is a legal requirement for the NZ media to present a balanced view of the issues being reported on. The reporting of the ZIP Arawhata project reads more like an advertisement for ZIP's aerial 1080 business model, than well balanced articles that are attempting to get truthful facts into the public domain.

I have done some research specifically on the Arawhata aerial 1080 possum control operations over the years and compared it to what ZIP is saying about their double dosing aerial 1080 trials. Here is what I found:

Arawhata aerial 1080 sowing rates.

ZIP is claiming that 4/kg/ha of 1080 bait is twice the rate 1080 is normally sown. The DOC Arawhata EPA reports for 2008 and 2016 tell a different story as does other DOC Arawhata data:

https://www.epa.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Documents/Hazardous-Substances/1080-repor...

https://www.epa.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/Documents/Hazardous-Substances/1080-repor...

In 1997 the 1080 sowing rates in two areas were 3kg/ha and 5kg/ha.
In 1999 there was an aerial 1080 operation. No sowing rate has been recorded.
In 2001 there was an aerial 1080 operation. No sowing rate has been recorded.
In 2003 there was an aerial 1080 operation. No sowing rate has been recorded.
In 2008 the 1080 sowing rate was 3.5kg/ha.
In 2012 there was an aerial 1080 operation. No sowing rate has been recorded. No EPA report submitted.
In 2016 the 1080 sowing rate was 3.0kg/ha.

Arawhata possum monitoring results.

ZIP is very careful to not report the actual monitoring results that were recorded. Instead, ZIP reports actual possum numbers (something that is unable to be determined with the monitoring methods ZIP uses) that range from 2,000-34,500 possums. These amazingly wide ranging possum numbers have come about by analysing the, unreported, pre-operation monitoring figures as is stated in the following media articles:

https://www.odt.co.nz/regions/west-coast/west-coast-1080-trial-success

https://www.stuff.co.nz/science/99128284/predatorfree-complete-removal-trial-wor...

Historical possum monitoring results, recorded by DOC, in the Arawhata area show a different possum density result after using 1080 at similar sowing rates. (The possum RTC%s that are not recorded in the EPA reports have been sourced from other DOC supplied data).

1997 had a post operation recording 4.5%RTC.
1999-2000 had a post operation recording of 6.2%RTC.
2003 had a post operation recording 5.4%RTC.
2008 had a post operation recording 4.1%RTC.
2013 had a post operation recording 7.5%RTC.

All of these post operation results failed to reach the normal <2%RTC target and only two reached the sometimes used <5%RTC target.

There was also one pre operation monitor that was done in 2009 with an 8.5%RTC being recorded.
The RTC% doubled in the 12 months since the 2008 post operation result of 4.1%RTC was recorded.

The underestimation of the post aerial 1080 operation possum results is common where the scientific advice, to wait at least 4 months following an aerial 1080 operation, is ignored and the possum monitoring is done immediately after the aerial 1080 operation. ZIP did not wait for the scientifically advised 4 months before conducting possum monitoring.

The DOC monitoring method, (Trap-Catch following NPCA guidelines) is more reliable than the ZIP Chew-Card monitoring method.

I also note that on page 26 of the ZIP 2016-17 annual report it is recognised that there are rats in the canopy. The ZIP solution to test the effectiveness of detecting and trapping rats, in the canopy, was to place the test chew-cards 1.5m above the ground. My understanding is that the canopy is at the top of the tree and that 1.5m above the ground is very close to the ground when you consider that the canopy trees are 20-30m tall. In other words, test cards set 1.5m up a tree trunk would be considered a part of the forest floor habitat and could not be considered as part of the canopy habitat.

ZIP is spending millions of taxpayers dollars in an attempt to recreate the, rhetorical, aerial 1080 wheel at Arawhata.
ZIP is providing as proof that ZIP is able to do what DOC has been unable to do, using similar 1080 sowing rates for 20 years, by using inadequate and unreliable monitoring methods. ZIP is not using the possum monitoring method that is recognised as being the best way of monitoring possums populations, for the last 30 years, and is considered to be the benchmark by which all other possum monitoring is judged.

Kind regards....Martin Foote

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Re: ZIP 1080 propaganda
Reply #1 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 5:51pm
Print Post  
2% rtc is ospiris target not doc. some doc areas target is 10% most are 5% depending on environmental values in the area.
trapping has been around longer then 1080. So to push thethe rhetoric that trapping does better then 1080 wouldnt have been needed in the 1st place but clearly ground control failed and so is 1080... Nothing beats nature

cant believe theres another 1080 thread, cant believe I was dumb enough to view it  Cheesy

in all honesty marty ground control would be best but unfortunatly theres not enough RELIABLE operators to undertake and will just get taken advantage of by cowboys. I personaly think thats a major reason 1080 is used the way it is in nz. they know what 1080 will do, its quick(aplication) and takes the headfook outve co ordinating 20,000  ground contractors and making sure its done right.

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #2 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 6:06pm
Print Post  
God loves a trier,

Merry xmas all.

Popcorn at the ready

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
Hunting  (47 Viewing)
All about big game hunting in New Zealand including all deer, tahr, chamois, goats, wild pigs and wild sheep.

This crap kills the forum. Nobody's really interested in another shit fight 1080 thread(hopefully).

IP Logged

Marty Foote

Reply #4 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:01pm
Print Post  
gonehuntin wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 5:51pm:
2% rtc is ospiris target not doc. some doc areas target is 10% most are 5% depending on environmental values in the area.
trapping has been around longer then 1080. So to push thethe rhetoric that trapping does better then 1080 wouldnt have been needed in the 1st place but clearly ground control failed and so is 1080... Nothing beats nature

cant believe theres another 1080 thread, cant believe I was dumb enough to view it  Cheesy

in all honesty marty ground control would be best but unfortunatly theres not enough RELIABLE operators to undertake and will just get taken advantage of by cowboys. I personaly think thats a major reason 1080 is used the way it is in nz. they know what 1080 will do, its quick(aplication) and takes the headfook outve co ordinating 20,000  ground contractors and making sure its done right.

How is an aerial 1080 drop engineered to give a 2% or 5% or 10% target kill?

Answer: They are not engineered to give a specific kill and the same thing is done on every drop and the costs are same for every drop.

The reason why there isn't enough reliable trapping operators out there is because DOC and OPSPRI refuse to offer the 1080 operations up as competitive tenders.

Make the 1080 areas into open, fair and competitively tendered operations and the numbers of reliable trappers will grow.

Most people that I know are not happy that public wild animal control funds are being channeled into private organisations that are not accountable and the private organisations are able to report without providing hard facts about what they are doing and achieving.

IP Logged

OWS
Donor Member

Let's get some deer

Reply #5 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
I wish anti-1080 propaganda could be kept within anti-vaccination, anti-fluoride, flat-Earth, tin-hat wearing groups, and not clog up forums like this.

1080 until something better is developed. Accept it and move on with your life.

You wot?

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
I appreciate your efforts Marty but do you hang your holey undies on your front fence too???

IP Logged

Flaxey
Just Joined

Reply #7 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 10:30pm
Print Post  
Sorry Marty, there are dimwits even in the hunting fraternity, to be dumb enough to say out loud that until something else is found we should keep on using 1080 is just plain dumb. It's not hard to pick holes in the newspaper articles.

IP Logged

Marty Foote

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 12:01am
Print Post  
OWS wrote on Dec 19th, 2017 at 7:38pm:
I wish anti-1080 propaganda could be kept within anti-vaccination, anti-fluoride, flat-Earth, tin-hat wearing groups, and not clog up forums like this.

OWS....Take a look at who set up the thread and the first post.

You read it at your own risk. If I was clogging up the data base with crap information I am sure that my threads would be deleted.

Are you suggesting that everyone that doesn't agree with your point of view should be banned from making their opinions known?

The good thing is, your post was one that I knew I could leave until the ZIP stuff became relevant again, to reply to, when there was serious conversation about what the new NGO's, that have formed private/public partnerships with DOC, are doing.

I can assure you that there are discussions happening about the private/public partnerships, about wild animal control, taking place.

I'm not going to go into the details here, however, you can be rest assured that the status-quo, as to the collecting, analysing and reporting of wild animal control, are going to have some changes made.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Mar 1st, 2018 at 8:21am
Print Post  
I wish too but its a fact of life at the moment and without any resistance and a strong lobby movement to reduce 1080 use alternatives will be slower in coming..

General policy is if its posted in the hunting section it stays there for a few days and then gets moved. If its about a specific area thats about to be 1080ed then that's useful info for hunters planning trips.

Its been like that for years.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 11:45am
Print Post  

I was reading some very interesting information (as in proper research) on flouride impacts on gut bacteria recently. It's pretty bad.

So what you say? Well poor gut bacteria has been linked to asthma, allergies and gluten sensitivity.

While you don't have to don the tin foil hat, it pays to keep an open mind. Remember scientists and doctors told us DDT and smoking were safe.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #11 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Vulcan wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 11:45am:
Remember scientists and doctors told us DDT and smoking were safe.

Interestingly, DDT is still widely used to this day, by the World Health Organisation no less. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2006/pr50/en/ The issue is how something is used, not the item itself. You know, like guns. Some people think they are inherently bad, for some reason.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Sorry mean't 245T.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #13 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Oscar wrote on Mar 2nd, 2018 at 12:21pm:
Remember scientists and doctors told us DDT and smoking were safe.

Interestingly, DDT is still widely used to this day, by the World Health Organisation no less. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2006/pr50/en/ The issue is how something is used, not the item itself. You know, like guns. Some people think they are inherently bad, for some reason.

Mosquietos and maleria are still today one of  the greatest killers of human kind on the planet. One child dies every 30 seconds or about 3000 children a day.

DDT has eradicated Maleria from many areas, dangerous to humans or not. The human misary before DDT was huge but after DDT mosquetos were totaly eradicated or brought under controll.

I lived on the Island of Sardinia for about 18 months in the 90s and heard the story many times how they eradicated maleria with DDT. Its now maleria free. When  WW2 ended the Americans mobilized the local population in a mosquieto eradication program and totally wiped them out.

They came back but there is no maleria there today.. still worth using Dimp though.  Roll Eyes

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2819864/

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #14 - Mar 2nd, 2018 at 8:24pm
Print Post  

I was reading some very interesting information (as in proper research) on flouride impacts on gut bacteria recently. It's pretty bad.

So what you say? Well poor gut bacteria has been linked to asthma, allergies and gluten sensitivity.

While you don't have to don the tin foil hat, it pays to keep an open mind. Remember scientists and doctors told us DDT and smoking were safe.

Not to mention clorinated water. It kills bacteria in our water, you drink it, which bacteria does it then kill in your gut?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards