Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tripod advice please (Read 1203 times)
Scroopa
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Tripod advice please
Dec 18th, 2017 at 1:10am
Print Post  
Got myself a spotting scope in anticipation of a tahr hunt next year. What am i looking for in a tripod?

Thanks guys

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Re: Tripod advice please
Reply #1 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
You need to spend up when buying a tripod, otherwise all that great magnification is wasted, as the scope can't stay absolutely still. You need a good quality pan and tilt head  to join the tripod to the scope. Manfrotto make good stuff.
Its a bit like blowing 4 grand vs 8 hundy on a scope. The difference is night and day, and 20 years on you will have forgotten the pain of purchase but still be in awe of the rock steady perfectly crisp images you get from quality gear

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 5:44am
Print Post  
Yep,  Manfrotto Befree. Ball head.

The world is not full of arseholes. But, they are strategically placed so you'll come across one every day.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Dec 21st, 2017 at 7:52am
Print Post  
its not only to spot with,,absolute must to take quality vids or pics

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

JackHorton
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Feb 7th, 2018 at 12:16am
Print Post  
are you searched on Amazon?

IP Logged

HuntGatherRepeat
Donor Member

Big Lake Country

Reply #5 - Feb 11th, 2018 at 10:29am
Print Post  
What height tripods are you gents buying? Just in the process of doing something similar and need to get a tripod for long distance glassing in SI. Spent ages researching binos and spotting scopes but seems I forgot to look in to the obvious.

If all else fails, read the instructions.

IP Logged

Huntertoo
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Feb 12th, 2018 at 6:08am
Print Post  
The tripod needs to have a full range of movement and extension
from being fully extended so in my case I can glass the tops from the valley floor and be standing behind the tripod, to be able to fold almost flat so I can see just over that last rocky ridge without being seen.
Small to go in or strapped to your day pack without catching vegetation but stong and sturdy enough to give you the movement free platform required.
The bigger / heavier the spotting scope the the tripod will have to be bigger too or a top heavy setup may occur however a 60x would be sufficent for NZ tops.
Ease of setting up and speed of adjustment may be a consideration and also if your are wearing gloves.
What the tripod is made of which may determine its durability and life.
Last of all, what you are prepared to pay. As mentioned above the cost will long forgotten while enjoying crisp views years later.
Rather that just a spotting scope pod, I made a binocular plate out of an old alloy oven tray to sit my binos on with a couple of velcro straps around each objective lens this is screwed to the tripod for effort free glassing or set it and come to check that same spot each time. When game is found change to the spotter.
You could make a V and screw this to the tripod also which gives a nice solid rifle rest.

The world is not full of arseholes. But, they are strategically placed so you'll come across one every day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards