Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic First billy (Read 933 times)
Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

First billy
Dec 14th, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Got my first billy this September. I am not a trophy hunter but when you got the beasts running around your backyard it gets you thinking...

Excuse my english and typos as its my second language:

Lucky enough to live 30 minutes form Christchurch and have small mob of goats running in the forestry above the house... It was rather a mission to get contact details of some owners of the forestry blocks and trying to get permission to shoot there. Just when everything looked sorted one of the owners started pretty much harassing the others for letting me go in so I have pulled out as didn't wanted to cause problems for the other guys... So I have sucked it up and let it go...  Cry

However couple months later whole mob of about 14 animals moved right onto to the land we have in lease! Couldn't believe my luck when I saw them feeding on scrubby face about 500m from my living room!  Shocked

Since them I have shot few nannies and kids up there for next month or so. Pretty easy as they have hardly ever been shot at so as long as I have watched the wind direction I was able to sneak within 20m and watch them quietly before shooting. Never had a wild goat before but first roast pretty much showed that its going to be my favourite meat, not mentioning curried leg, yum!  Smiley

After some time when freezer was full I started thinking about taking a billy as well, there was 3 big ones - two grey and one funny coloured (black, brown, white and grey bits all over). One of the grey ones was a lot bigger the other two. As I said before - I am not a trophy hunter, hate to be wasting meat, but what can you do with smelly billy eh? Well one of my neighbours (don't have many of them, haha) got a dog and its freaking out every time when hears a shot so I am giving them a notice call when target shooting/hunting up the forestry so they can close the dog inside. So I thought that utilising all the meat for dog would make good excuse for me to take the head and would also keep the good neighbours happy  Cool

So one afternoon I have sneaked up there but was sort of rushed and didn't watched the wind as much this time...Well they caught me when I was about 300m away and immediately dived into the thick bush. Never saw them in such a hurry and freaked out! Couple shootings and they bloody well have learned the lesson. So with them being in the thick bush higher up the hill I have just passed through bellow so they couldn't wind me anymore. Have sat down for about 20 minutes, sure enough latter on they emerged on small clearing above the bush, completely relaxed and feeding now... Up the hill hiding under pine stands I went, bloody steep climb through rocks and gorse. Finally got above them and was able to sit down and watch them, looking for grey billy. Took one picture (with bad focus, oops) and just when ready to move to better position grey one walked out of gorse and stood right in front of me about 40m away. Old Brno screamed into the valley one Federal 150gr and it was a solid chest hit, but poor choice - billy bolted away and run about 50m downhill and than falling down the cliff into blackberry...

After bit of mucking around he was recovered, cut up into quarters (he did stink alright) and carried downhill only to realise couple days later that I have shot the smaller one when mob was back and the big beast still amongst them! Shocked Cheesy Anyway, dog was very happy (so our cat actually, he loved the meat!) and I was able to try out first European mount which came out alright I reckon  Cool

He's only 27 inch but a good start to my possibly-rather-limited collection of trophies...

bad focus sorry, but gives you the idea of terrain and situation:

pulled him out of blackberry, smeared blood looks like I hit him too high but it was a lung shot, next time I should go for a high shoulder:

mount done (test nanny on right):

closer up:

« Last Edit: Dec 14th, 2017 at 9:37pm by Pete82 »  

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: First billy
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 11:13am
Print Post  
Nicely done.

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Good. You made a nice job of cleaning the skulls.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #3 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 1:49pm
Print Post  
Nice work, 1 less bleater to chew up the country side Smiley pretty impressive looking horns too Smiley

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #4 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 8:54pm
Print Post  
Very nice job on the cleaning. You will have to do a write up of how you got it so pretty.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards