Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic helicopter into the Landsborough! (Read 2348 times)
the sweede
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

helicopter into the Landsborough!
Dec 14th, 2017 at 7:32am
Print Post  
Hello!
What helicopter operator do you recomend flying in to the Landsborough area?
Am gonna be based in QT.
Does the rates vary between operators, or is it pretty much the same.
What is a normal fare for 4 guys, depending on how far in you fly that is.
Flew in with Greenstone Helicopters last year and was really well taken care of.
As i have printed before, if anyone is keen to go to the northern hemisphere and check out the hunting here, let me know.
Gonna go out and pusch some snow around, had a real dump last night.
Perfect for tracking  Wink Smiley

IP Logged

cb14
Forum Font

Re: helicopter into the Landsborough!
Reply #1 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
Give James Scott a call.  Alpine Adventures.

IP Logged

Al3x
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 10:43am
Print Post  
+1 for above
https://www.haastheli.co.nz/contact-us - drop them a line and they will give you a price for your intended location.

Might take you up on the northern hemisphere hunting hookup when I move back northward next year!  Smiley

IP Logged

Huntdeepsouth
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
we flew into toetoe flat from the landsbrough homestead last roar with James scott, i think it cost us about 800 there and back.  he only takes 2 guys plus gear now so that will be 2 trips

IP Logged

wobblyboot
Forum Senior

whose that following me

Reply #4 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 11:37am
Print Post  
The top of the Landsbugger is probably closer to Glentanner where Heliline fly from or up the road you have Heliworks flying out of the Mt Cook strip.
The top of the river up around Mt Burns is the most interesting bit.

only dirty people wash

IP Logged

Chinnook

Reply #5 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:00pm
Print Post  
Totally agree with above-if flying into upper Landsborough, flying in from Glentanner would be far closer and quicker -From Glentanner its straight up Bush Stream-Across the top of the Dobson and Hopkins and into say the mid Landsborough is only 17 miles from the Glentanner helipad-20 minutes at most.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #6 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:55pm
Print Post  
Isnít the upper Landsborough a wilderness area? Ie the only permitted landing in there is for those successful in the tahr ballots? Or is that what youíve got?

For the open landing areas in the lower Landsborough, flying from the old homestead would still be the best bet Iíd have thought.

Iíve done both in the distant past, doing some survey work. The main concern flying from the east side was getting out if weather was a bit off, seemed better chance of getting in from the West  than over the Divide?

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Chinnook

Reply #7 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
Your right as far as weather goes-if its a howling westerly at Glentanner-it will be an ugly ride-and maybe not possible,however if its pissing rain on the coast a Haast based aircraft would get up the Haast and Landsborough valley in most cases.

IP Logged

wobblyboot
Forum Senior

whose that following me

Reply #8 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 4:59pm
Print Post  
Oscar wrote on Dec 16th, 2017 at 1:55pm:
Isnít the upper Landsborough a wilderness area? Ie the only permitted landing in there is for those successful in the tahr ballots? Or is that what youíve got?

For the open landing areas in the lower Landsborough, flying from the old homestead would still be the best bet Iíd have thought.

Iíve done both in the distant past, doing some survey work. The main concern flying from the east side was getting out if weather was a bit off, seemed better chance of getting in from the West† than over the Divide?

Woops, I may have put those fellas on a false scent. I forgot all about the Wilderness area.
However you can always walk in via Broderick or Elcho or Karangarua or for the really keen and slightly suicidal there is always the Scissors route.

only dirty people wash

IP Logged

Greg Duley, NZ Hunter

NZ Hunter Magazine

Reply #9 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
We're just back from a big trip climbing up from Mt Cook Village, over Mt Burns on the main divide to the very head of the Landsborough, and then followed it hunting all the way down to the sea.
Above Kea Flat is wilderness area - so no flying/landing outside the tahr ballots (if you're lucky enough to win one).
Episode goes to air 8.30pm Jan 31st, on TVNZs Duke channel, if you wanna see the Landsborough from the very top to bottom! Cheesy

IP Logged

High country boy
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Dec 26th, 2017 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
Greg Duley, NZ Hunter wrote on Dec 26th, 2017 at 6:03pm:
We're just back from a big trip climbing up from Mt Cook Village, over Mt Burns on the main divide to the very head of the Landsborough, and then followed it hunting all the way down to the sea.
Above Kea Flat is wilderness area - so no flying/landing outside the tahr ballots (if you're lucky enough to win one).
Episode goes to air 8.30pm Jan 31st, on TVNZs Duke channel, if you wanna see the Landsborough from the very top to bottom! Cheesy

We passed your truck in the Lindis going round to your pick up obviously and was wondering what big trek you guys mustíve been on

IP Logged

wobblyboot
Forum Senior

whose that following me

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2017 at 6:59am
Print Post  
Greg Duley, NZ Hunter wrote on Dec 26th, 2017 at 6:03pm:

Burns is a cool climb. Congratulations.

only dirty people wash

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards