Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How to stop dog getting keen on rabbits (Read 3422 times)
gunsmalone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

How to stop dog getting keen on rabbits
Dec 12th, 2017 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Any you fellas have any tips on training a dog to not bolt after rabbits?
She's going to be a deer dog so the last thing i want is her taking off after them, possums to i guess.

There's rabbits galore where i live and while out walking her (on a long line) she's started to get a bit more keen on them. She'll start eyeing them up quite hard when ever they're in view,
A few days days back while coming up to some bushes she stated showing some eye and sneaking in really slowly and then a rabbit took off when we got about 1m away. She tried to take off after it i think but the long line stopped her, i gave her a growl and a yank then carried on.

Just thought there might be a good way to nip it in the butt before it becomes to much of a problem.

Cheers

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Re: How to stop dog getting keen on rabbits
Reply #1 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 5:58am
Print Post  
Completely ignore them and growl her if she even looks at them

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #2 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 8:00am
Print Post  
Rabbits are a high level distraction. Start by removing them from the training environment.

The tricky bit about the forum is that there's eyeing up a rabbit and there's EYEING UP A RABBIT.  Hard to say witch.

Once you have the final product having loads of rabbits nearby is going to be an asset.  You could even reintroduce chasing a few once you have the obedience sorted.   Excellent acid test on a top command.

Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:26am
Print Post  
You need a bombproof stop command. The dog will learn after a wile that the rabbits are not the intended game animal.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:35pm
Print Post  
What Stug says. Took a while but my terrier will now just point and wait for me to either allow it, or call her away.

The stop, or drop command has to be first taught sans rabbit.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gunsmalone
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Dec 13th, 2017 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Sounds good.
Cheers

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 9:12am
Print Post  
Do you want some ideas on how to teach a stop at distance or are you up to speed on that bit?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gunsmalone
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Dec 14th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Yer any tips would be great.

She's only ever been on a long line so never further away from me than 7 or 8m when out of her run. She'll go on a stop pretty good when asked under no to little distraction.
I'm starting to increase the distraction bit by bit while she's on a stop. Should i start trying to get her to go on a stop under a bit more distraction?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 7:46am
Print Post  
No rabbits yet.  Does she walk and stop everytime on a loose line. ?  It she does you can move to a place where there are zero distractions for a training and have the dog stop without the line as a further step. Start real easy with the dog close to you building to that same distance as with the line. 

At the same time keep doing some trainings with the line. Your looking to keep alternating for a while. On the line you can introduce some more distractions, people, different enviroment, but no rabbits yet.

This is not all done in a week. Its best to train this over a couple of weeks or more. Depends on the results your getting. The longer you train this with 100% compliance and no cockups the better the end result will be so steady as she goes is the key. Always stop your trainings on a high point. If something goes not to plan break it off. go back to just the line for a while.

There are other things you can do to introduce different situations and keep the dog interested and focused on you. Do you have a reward or toy for the dog. Not saying you have to but just intersted as these can also be used to reinforce of shape behaviours.

Make it fun anyway.

We can chat about it...

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #9 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:34am
Print Post  
Headcase,

Please  could you go over your stop technique on the long line.   Im interested to know if you teach a stop (stand)   or  an anchored stop (sit). 

Its some thing i need to sharpen  up, with my 13mnth old lab , who has  range control  off the long line , but is  reluctant to stop sharply without me getting right on top of her to get the pressure on.  She will still often requires a push down on her back end, to Finally get her to stop (sit).   Or she will turn on verbal command ("hiss"  or  "sit" )  and return to me and then require the pressure.

IP Logged

gunsmalone
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 11:45am
Print Post  
[quote author=6A67636661637167020 link=1513110749/8#8 date=1513323969]No rabbits yet.  Does she walk and stop everytime on a loose line. ?  It she does you can move to a place where there are zero distractions for a training and have the dog stop without the line as a further step. Start real easy with the dog close to you building to that same distance as with the line. 

At the same time keep doing some trainings with the line. Your looking to keep alternating for a while. On the line you can introduce some more distractions, people, different enviroment, but no rabbits yet.

This is not all done in a week. Its best to train this over a couple of weeks or more. Depends on the results your getting. The longer you train this with 100% compliance and no cockups the better the end result will be so steady as she goes is the key. Always stop your trainings on a high point. If something goes not to plan break it off. go back to just the line for a while.

There are other things you can do to introduce different situations and keep the dog interested and focused on you. Do you have a reward or toy for the dog. Not saying you have to but just intersted as these can also be used to reinforce of shape behaviours.

Make it fun anyway.

We can chat about it...

Walks and stops when i do? Yer she's pretty good, occasionally will walk a metre or 2 before shes noticed I've stopped if her heads down sniffing.
I only need to touch the line a couple times while walking now.
Shes pretty good around most distractions, just when she sees a rabbit her ears prick up and she'll stop, walk a few metres, stop and repeat and her eyes widen up as if she got the chance she would be off.
My main worry i wont see the rabbit until to late for eg if we're walking along and shes sniffing away in a bush or walking thru long grass and theres a rabbit within a metre, rabbit get spooked and takes off and she goes after it while im not holding the line.
I guess im worried she'll forever be wanting to catch rabbits after that.
I spose i was hoping there was some magic way to tell the dog that rabbits are bad, like a rabbit aversion training system and that she would then completely understand and id never have a problem  Grin
Is it just a matter of working on control, descent stop and ignoring the rabbits?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Some one might suggest the EC but you can do it without that by the sound of things. ECs can have unexpected consequences in making the dog timid to all things. My experience anyway.

Do you also have a stop or leave it command. It would be wise to start building one in if your talking an emergency stop or drop, which will serve you well in general and untill she forgets about rabbits as Stug and others have talked about.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #12 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:22pm
Print Post  
Stagrinon wrote on Dec 15th, 2017 at 9:34am:
Headcase,

Please  could you go over your stop technique on the long line.   Im interested to know if you teach a stop (stand)   or  an anchored stop (sit). 

Its some thing i need to sharpen  up, with my 13mnth old lab , who has  range control  off the long line , but is  reluctant to stop sharply without me getting right on top of her to get the pressure on.  She will still often requires a push down on her back end, to Finally get her to stop (sit).   Or she will turn on verbal command ("hiss"  or  "sit" )  and return to me and then require the pressure.

Hey you are probably the better or more current trainer than me, but I want to talk about it and can talk on the broader principles of training dogs with some assurance.

As Lovitt says as we are not watching each other and offering comments on the spot so we need to talk a bit more to build a picture..

What is your command when telling the dog to stop (sit) so we are talking the same language? when I offer some comments.

Your obviously wanting the dog to just stop within a step on your command wherever it is in relation to you,  which can be broken down into small bits and then sewn together to obtain the desired behaviour.

IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #13 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Have to agree diving in too soon with out the background can cause a few issues.   Grin.

Okay, the verbal command for a stop (sit )  is "Sit".   I also use a Hiss  (  lots of sSSSssss).   Flat palm raised for the non verbal.

The desired behaviour,  is to stop sit and stay put.    

We could talk about her auto stop too , which is to stand still and not move any futher forward,  this should be in unison with me stopping. This works a little better when I do it more abruptly,  and the body language is more pronounced, But I have the same issue with her turning back and coming to me rather than staying put. 

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #14 - Dec 15th, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Do you work with any rewards Stagrinnon (tactile, verbal, toy, food) while you train, or is your reward an occasional good dog  and/or a bit of lavish verbal praise/game when the training is over?

Im not talking about the finished product in the field,, just training something. By the time your working a dog in the field the reward is the task.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards