Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic MSR Tents! Bloody Fantastic! (Read 399 times)
Wild South

Wild South

MSR Tents! Bloody Fantastic!
Dec 6th, 2017 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

Not going to ramble on, other than to say that if anyone is in the market for a new tent, I can highly recommend MSR.

As we all know, and have heard, they make a top quality, and usually very expensive tent. I bit the bullet and bought a Hubba Hubba NX 2 Person, and have had it out on a number of trips over winter in the South Island (tops, snow, wet bush, open windy areas, you name it). It has held up very well and is easy to pitch, durable, and light weight. Haven't used the fly/footprint combo yet (ie: without the inner so as to pitch it like a shelter), but I will try it over summer.

I tossed up between Macpac, Exped, Marmot, etc, and ultimately came down to what had the best reviews. Like I said, it has been an awesome tent so far and I am sure will continue to be in the future.

By the way, if anyone is after one I can point you in the right direction of a heck of a good deal! The prices as follows:

Hubba Hubba NX 2p - $640
Elixir 2p - $599
Freelite 2p - $680

I am sure they can get more, but it's a private seller so may take an order and some time.

Cheers!

IP Logged

Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

Re: MSR Tents! Bloody Fantastic!
Reply #1 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Mate thats great you rate them. But for me and my experience ( I had just the Hubba Hubba), I would never suggest to use it on the tops or exposed windy areas. Took be 2 very bad experiences to realise this. They are in mop great for sheltered maybe under canopy conditions but nothing more. Definitely not a 4 season or suitable exposed tops shelter.

Every hunt is successful, pulling the trigger is a bonus;)

IP Logged

i_e
Forum Senior

Reply #2 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
Sika 9 wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:37pm:
Mate thats great you rate them. But for me and my experience ( I had just the Hubba Hubba), I would never suggest to use it on the tops or exposed windy areas. Took be 2 very bad experiences to realise this. They are in mop great for sheltered maybe under canopy conditions but nothing more. Definitely not a 4 season or suitable exposed tops shelter.

I share your experience...Hubba Hubba was continually knocked flat

alcohol doesn't agree with me , but i sure do enjoy the argument!

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 6:02am
Print Post  
The MSR lightweight tents are sold as 3 season tents and need to be used as such. On the tops you have to find a sheltered spot if wind is forecast.
Lightweight and bombproof don't go together.

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Too light to be bombproof and their pole and support design is definitely 3 season, as advertised.

IP Logged

TG
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Great tents in sheltered conditions but agree with other comments here. I have an MSR Hoop 2 which is similar to the Hubba Hubba. It folds in half in the wind and was flattened by an inch of wet snow. Definitly only 3 season tents max

IP Logged

blackgear nz
Donor Member

Custom thermoforming knife
sheaths

Reply #6 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
+1 MSR

Yeah I agree Hubba is a three season but like anything given the right conditions. I got away with decent snow dump on mine last season however it wasn't getting hammered by the wind.

Instagram blackgear nz

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards