Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Green heads too green (Read 453 times)
chomp2
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Green heads too green
Dec 3rd, 2017 at 7:15am
Print Post  
Hi team we shoot on a reasonable sized pond in the Waikato and after the last two seasons have noticed that most our drake decoys avian x and higdons have very green heads compared to the Drakeís we shoot. has anyone got any tips on how to maybe dull down the heads on the decoys we have. I have been looking at getting a dozen avian x black duck flocked decoys as they resemble the ducks we have in residence greyxmallard has anyone used these decoys?

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: Green heads too green
Reply #1 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 7:41am
Print Post  
I don't think it matters , Have you noticed ducks flaring off the decoys ?
3 of the most successful shooters I know in the Waikato use matt black decoys - painted with blackboard paint

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

chomp2
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:53am
Print Post  
A couple of times we have had ducks flare on really clear days with a lot of sun but overall they come in wings out feet down. Iím just thinking of a more natural looking spread annoys me how when you buy decoys they come with say 4 drakes but only two hens

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #3 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 11:54am
Print Post  
Masking tape on the beaks and round the neck, lightly sand with some fine sandpaper the heads then wash with detergent, rinse and dry. Paint with wattyl matte black rust kill. Or you could just paint straight away and forget the prep, probably would work just as well. Or even better get your decoys custom flocked. They need a bit of looking after, pricey but look like the real thing with no shine in the rain or sun.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
green blackboard paint looks good too,no shine at all,a light puff with black spraypaint does wonders as well. my spread has about 4 really bright drakes and the rest have been dulled down somewhat.

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Yes you can do what puddleduk suggested,I have flocked all of my decoys,Just flat black paint works well,as for flaring ducks could be sudden movement or even a shining gun barrel,hope this helps

IP Logged

chomp2
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replyís guys not too worried about flaring birds as we havenít really had a problem Iím more so just looking for More natural looking decoys. I think I shot one maybe two nice green heads last season the rest were pretty drab colours

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 11:06am
Print Post  
I think mallards  decoy onto what their impression  of what a duck should look like and how a spread should look . I am certain that movement is more important than head colour .
The decoys come packed in the 4-2 ratio because that is what the US market requires and what the majority of NZ hunters require ,I have met any  number of duck shooters who think that the green heads are mallards and the hens are greys .
I have even had mail order customers ring up angry that the dozen mallards they ordered only contained 8 . Roll Eyes Shocked that situation often takes some explaining  Wink

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards