Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) record numbers of rabbits about . (Read 7100 times)
EC
Forum Font

Re: record numbers of rabbits about .
Reply #45 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:35am:
I have worked in the small game petfood industry and I dont anymore. Its a total an absolute failure as far as control goes.

Without exception every station Ive seen that lets the pet food guys on as a mean to control numbers are abject failures, the problem often worse or no change after years of shooting.

They only shoot the big ones so are farming them.

The other place I can think of is described in a previous post 17 where the petfood guys have been taking home 600 a week to process for the last 10 years. There are hundreds of thousands of rabbits on that station still. A dismal failure in usefulness when it comes to reducing numbers.,

After a couple of years of the Petfood Guys coming in every rabbit on the station is gunshy and you cant get near them.. its a luv fest of gunshy rabbits feeding and f**king and breeding up large.
  Smiley

Yeah what yi say mate is true, shootin fi a dollar in regards ti pet food I must admit is good quick dollars but lets face it it don't cost the cocky nothing ti let the shooter on his turf and that in the eyes of many is great,after they trust and get ti know the shooter that is.
But as yi say and we both know that it aint the best way ti control ol bugs.
But hey do these cockies that let their shooter come and go see that maybe the bunnies are still getting up there in numbers? or does he just say to himself '' the shooter is due back tonight for a few days'',all good.
At the end of the day it is up to what the land owner wants,or is happy with.
When things got real bad back in the day and areas were crawling then those blocks were shut up ,left alone and then poisoned.
At the end of the day the ol run holder don't like partin out the dosh all day long and that can put him onto petfood shooters...if he has a brain then control methods.
These cockies as we know can change at the blink of an eye eh  Grin

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #46 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
EC wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 4:32pm:
headcase wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:35am:
I have worked in the small game petfood industry and I dont anymore. Its a total an absolute failure as far as control goes.

Without exception every station Ive seen that lets the pet food guys on as a mean to control numbers are abject failures, the problem often worse or no change after years of shooting.

They only shoot the big ones so are farming them.

The other place I can think of is described in a previous post 17 where the petfood guys have been taking home 600 a week to process for the last 10 years. There are hundreds of thousands of rabbits on that station still. A dismal failure in usefulness when it comes to reducing numbers.,

After a couple of years of the Petfood Guys coming in every rabbit on the station is gunshy and you cant get near them.. its a luv fest of gunshy rabbits feeding and f**king and breeding up large.
  Smiley

Yeah what yi say mate is true, shootin fi a dollar in regards ti pet food I must admit is good quick dollars but lets face it it don't cost the cocky nothing ti let the shooter on his turf and that in the eyes of many is great,after they trust and get ti know the shooter that is.
But as yi say and we both know that it aint the best way ti control ol bugs.
But hey do these cockies that let their shooter come and go see that maybe the bunnies are still getting up there in numbers? or does he just say to himself '' the shooter is due back tonight for a few days'',all good.
At the end of the day it is up to what the land owner wants,or is happy with.
When things got real bad back in the day and areas were crawling then those blocks were shut up ,left alone and then poisoned.
At the end of the day the ol run holder don't like partin out the dosh all day long and that can put him onto petfood shooters...if he has a brain then control methods.
These cockies as we know can change at the blink of an eye eh  Grin

The problem has always been ,shoot 10 and scare 20 ,the ole bunny soon works out ANYTHING out of the normal and they are out of there,under ground or hidden away behind scrub .There has been a big swing away from spotlighting by controllers (we are all controllers in one form or another )for good reason either to IR or thermal scopes.Once the older rabbits wise up to the sound of the motorbike  & spotlight danger,when he then hears the farmer coming on his bike during the day ,he does as he can do & thats.... disappears fast.The farmer then views the block as 'pretty clean" only to go out one morning & see that the rabbit numbers have " exploded over night" is always quoted,but the truth of the matter is that they have been really building for quite some time going
unnoticed,once again playing us.There's nothing wrong shooting a few rabbits for either pet food or sport but neither is a good form of control when numbers build up as headcase has stated poison is about the only way to gain control.SHIT did I just say that  Grin Grin
Over view of the rabbit :
Eyes like a feckn hawk.
Very nearly has 360 alround vision.
Fur pulls out if grabbed by a predator  .
Independent hearing out of either ear .
Fine hairs along the edges of those  ears to help pick up the very finest sound.
Animal that can run  speed of a greyhound.
A animal can  turn on a dime .
A animal that can jump straight up in the air 15 times its own height
A animal with the same iQ as the average dog.
Now for the big one ...
a animal that breeds EVERY single damn month(6/8/10 kits at a time ) if conditions suit,after giving birth with in hours shes had a  visit back to the buck so when the first lot of kits are weaned within hours another is on the ground.
The c**T as i often call this devils beast has been involved in a battle/war  with us for years ,what needs to   change is our mindset  ,we cant beat him by doing what we are already doing for a number of reasons  .....we can however stop them becoming a problem by ......buy eating him to bloody death ,& wearing his coat,using his fur.All of these things add value to the animal .
Beef ,Sheep & lamb meat has slip off the shopping list for most new zealanders now that its to expensive,this opens the door as rabbit offers plenty of sweet meat,plenty of meat to bone & can be cooked in so many ways.
We just  badly need a easy simple system not bogged now by either p/c ,rules or b/s to allow this to happen if we can't handle the volume the world is screaming out for food ,given some good marketing there's no reason why it wouldn't work ,it did a number of years ago .It can only HELP with the present day situation,our present day system is simply not working and is unsustainable....   what we really need ..is some good ole "can do kiwi attitude".We have to get smarter.

« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2017 at 6:52am by rabbiter »  

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #47 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:43am:
Pete you answered your own question about the hares.

Rabbiter  the reason I stopped picking up and gutting is it make your hands dirty and the skin cracks on your fingers from the fluids. My girlfriends didn't like that dead rabbit smell either. Gets in your hair and  clothing. My wife was complaining lots about that. 

Far more fun and satisfaction financially just shooting the buggers. Grin

Don't be scared to share that ole buck juice around ,once the wifes gets a real whiff there will be no need for any girl friends as you will be too buggered ....incapable of handling a sparrow.
« Last Edit: Dec 9th, 2017 at 6:47am by rabbiter »  

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #48 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 9:13am
Print Post  
Grin  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #49 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 1:46pm
Print Post  
Prior to devaluation 1951??  [and supermarkets] I remember most/many butcher shops featured racks of fresh rabbits for sale. Good cheap meat at the time, although I am not suggesting we go back to those "good old days"

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #50 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
we eat the lil critters all the time, kiddies love it aswell rabbits a very underated meat  hare backsteak is also superb.  think the biggest hurdle these days would be the amount of fluffy animal lovers around would frown upon it big time.

can their fur be utilized? like plucked possum fur is

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #51 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
I think that rabbit pelts are good for coats and stuff like that,not sure about the hair itself though, definitely not as good as possum!
In Eastern Europe breeding rabbits in hutches is very common practise,very popular meat!Altgough I very mfch prefer hares to rabbits,cant stand that rabbit smell and also its white meat,quite lean....while hares,oh boy I can eat that all day long.Underated meat here in NZ for sure!

Possibly not viable to ship all the little bastards frozen to Europe,but mind you if you want to buy one you pay a bit more than for chicken!

IP Logged

Weathered
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Amor Fati

Reply #52 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Biggest night recently was 823.  Definitely out of control.

"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #53 - Jan 22nd, 2018 at 9:49pm
Print Post  
Weathered wrote on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 9:16pm:

Saw this coming for a number of years ,its just not in  central otago either ,some smaller populations have grown to huge numbers now.Sadly at sometime a pair were seen but discounted as either "I cant be bothered shooting them "or "oh its only a couple"  Grin Grin Grin The ole rabbit LOVES that type of thinking ...

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #54 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Weathered wrote on Jan 22nd, 2018 at 9:16pm:

I've heard this number be weathered wasn't playing round a vinyard was it

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #55 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Yes it was and a small area at that.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #56 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I know one hotel down here,you could shoot 50 from your own private balcony.Il drive pass them tonight about 8 times.One grassy area about the size of a double garage,has up to 30 rabbits on it and nobody can shoot them.Just too public. Grin

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #57 - Jan 23rd, 2018 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
Cops been busy lately chasing reports of people/xmas holiday makers taking pot shots at rabbits inside the village boundrys.

.22s richochet a helluva long way. One bloke report walking his dog and a shot went purdy close past him. Been quite a few complaints since xmas.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #58 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 12:34pm
Print Post  
The double garage size lawn on the main street last night had 32 rabbits on it at 4.15am.There would have been 50 in 100 mtrs befor that corner.Another 20 on squash courts frontage.Another 70 on road side down to camp.
Its like an invasion Sad,go down the local river a few ks and look thru the thermos over the river flats.Just hunreds of moving white dots.
If the government got their shit together,there wouldn't be any unemployment in the SouthIsland. Angry

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #59 - Jan 25th, 2018 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Jan 25th, 2018 at 12:34pm:
The double garage size lawn on the main street last night had 32 rabbits on it at 4.15am.There would have been 50 in 100 mtrs befor that corner.Another 20 on squash courts frontage.Another 70 on road side down to camp.
Its like an invasion Sad,go down the local river a few ks and look thru the thermos over the river flats.Just hunreds of moving white dots.
If the government got their shit together,there wouldn't be any unemployment in the SouthIsland. Angry

Its without doubt a HUGE problem,which has me thinking everybody is hoping K5 can make a impact .....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards