Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) record numbers of rabbits about . (Read 1620 times)
rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: record numbers of rabbits about .
Reply #30 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:41pm:
Krico25 wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:45pm:
Are you a star gazer Trout?.
No, just get payed for driving gazers there so I can buy ammo,salmon gear and diesel. Wink

Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #31 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
What about you an me get together Trout. Ill hold your bus up off the quad as it climbs up Mt John. A variation on the old highwayman theme. Lots more loot to buy ammo.  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #32 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Nobody wants 60s + chippy anymore,unemployed for a month in chch,umbelievable.So went hunting twice a week around canterbury.Lots of deer around.👍

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #33 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
No, just get payed for driving gazers there so I can buy ammo,salmon gear and diesel. Wink

Hes a female barrtocks gazer as well .....it goes hand in hand with the bus driving Roll Eyes ...oh to have a perk like that ..... Cool Cool

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #34 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
rabbiter wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:44pm:

Hes a female barrtocks gazer as well .....it goes hand in hand with the bus driving Roll Eyes ...oh to have a perk like that ..... Cool Cool

Deer barrtocks are what realy turns Trout on. His pulse goes up to bout 160 resting.  Grin

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #35 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Back to the office. Went out night before last on the Quad shooting from whats known as Willow Ford along the embankment eaten out by eons of water erosion. Flatish plain with a high bank on the left and sparse scrubby bits all the way  running out onto the flats and not thick, so easy to drive between and also use as cover.

Started at twilight and the big blood moon had not yet risen over the range behind me, so there was a kind of perpetual twilight going on as darkness fell but the full moon rose ever higher at my back, still hidden by the mountains. Was shooting with a Ruger 10/22 and Win subs, with a XD50 thermal as a scope. The subs range and the XD fit very well together.

I knew from reports there were going to be a lot of rabbits along this stretch, and had also spotted way too many skittling across the nearby road at night while returning from wallaby shooting a bit futher up the valley. The subs seemed like a good choice for the first pass before rocking up with something noiseier.

Almost immediatly there were a lot of rabbits in front of me. Out to 70m everything was on the table but I could already see dozens further out feeding on the flat in longer grass under the embankment. 

The important thing at this point is to stay calm..easier said than done. When there are so many rabbits in sight its easy to get a bit excited.  Next its important to not miss, so take your time, but not too long. There are conflicting priorties to optimize a maximum kill in this situation. Its scan, confirm first target, decide on shooting direction, fire,  move to the next target and just use your ears to confirm the previous rabbit was hit.. keep fireing and change mag, reload,change mag. All going well youll empty 2 mags and reload before the rabbits a lttle futher out have even decided to move.

I only use 10 shot mags prefering a flat surface under the gun to assist with fast target aquisition between shots.

The twilight was helpfull. I didnt need a light at all to move forward with the quad.. just reload and very slowly move another 30 meters. Have a look, and the rabbits were all just as before, just alert and looking in my general direction but undecided what was happening.

Unload another 20 rounds and move forward again. They were like glued to the ground and soon I was moving through a field of carcasses their white bellys lighting the way.  Still they held and still they were mown down.. it went on for a long time and I was putting near 20 on the clicker every time.

And then the moon rose above the peaks behind me and the whole dynamic changed.  They became more aware where and what the danger was and started moving away. My kill rate dropped from almost 100% in a shootable arc in front to about 50%. It was sobering to observe.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #36 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 5:56pm
Print Post  
Good writing. How many do you think shot?

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #37 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:14pm
Print Post  
160 in the first flush. . 1 hour 30 bout. Was moving slowly and lottsa time just looking ahead and getting a picture before shooting, so the shooting bit was quick.  After that slowed down took bout 2 hours to find and shoot another 50, though I did move off into less productive terrain to make sure Id covered the area id set to do that evening. 

Ive generally had a rule of thumb to wait untill well after dark and let them fill their bellys before starting to shoot. Not always but never in any hurry to get started.

Lotsa time I have noted that just as darkness is falling I do pick up a lot.  dont need a light to drive around and no light needed useing the thermal, so that appears to keep them calm.

Only did bout 400m of the embankment. Theres still another 2km to go..

160 might not sound a lot in 400m but thats not what its about for me. Its about shooting every last visable rabbit and no survivors, hence when the percentage of rabbits shot dropped, I stopped and moved to another terrain.

The moral of the story is, dont educate rabbits to flight by missing them and giving them a second chance..  Grin

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #38 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 6th, 2017 at 6:14pm:
160 in the first flush. . 1 hour 30 bout. Was moving slowly and lottsa time just looking ahead and getting a picture before shooting, so the shooting bit was quick.  After that slowed down took bout 2 hours to find and shoot another 50, though I did move off into less productive terrain to make sure Id covered the area id set to do that evening. 

Ive generally had a rule of thumb to wait untill well after dark and let them fill their bellys before starting to shoot. Not always but never in any hurry to get started.

Lotsa time I have noted that just as darkness is falling I do pick up a lot.  dont need a light to drive around and no light needed useing the thermal, so that appears to keep them calm.

Only did bout 400m of the embankment. Theres still another 2km to go..

160 might not sound a lot in 400m but thats not what its about for me. Its about shooting every last visable rabbit and no survivors, hence when the percentage of rabbits shot dropped, I stopped and moved to another terrain.

The moral of the story is, dont educate rabbits to flight by missing them and giving them a second chance..  Grin

Spoken like a true believer ,a educated rabbit takes no prisoners.The trick as you know is to get as many killed quickly and quietly before the rest cotton on and it turns into a all out shit fight . Smiley

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #39 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 6:15am
Print Post  
Just a quick question - do you just leave them on the site to rot or you take them to pet food buyer? Or is it not worth it? I imagine 160 dead rabbits might attract a fly or two couple days later...  Grin

Warm beer is worst than cold woman!

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #40 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:35am
Print Post  
Will pick up the odd wallaby if its beside the truck, for a friend,  and petfood, but shooting for weight/picking up and pest eradication mix like oil and water.

I have worked in the small game petfood industry and I dont anymore. Its a total an absolute failure as far as control goes.

Without exception every station Ive seen that lets the pet food guys on as a mean to control numbers are abject failures, the problem often worse or no change after years of shooting.

Ive let a good friend shoot an area in one staion for the last three years, and left that area alone myself. There are more rabbits in that area than anywhere else on the 18000 hectares. Markedly more.

They only shoot the big ones so are farming them.

The other place I can think of is described in a previous post 17 where the petfood guys have been taking home 600 a week to process for the last 10 years. There are hundreds of thousands of rabbits on that station still. A dismal failure in usefulness when it comes to reducing numbers.,

After a couple of years of the Petfood Guys coming in every rabbit on the station is gunshy and you cant get near them.. its a luv fest of gunshy rabbits feeding and f**king and breeding up large.

The only way to deal with that is large scale 1080 or pindone drop and no one wants that, so they are part of the problem and not solving it.  Smiley

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #41 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 5:29am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:35am:
Will pick up the odd wallaby if its beside the truck, for a friend,  and petfood, but shooting for weight/picking up and pest eradication mix like oil and water.

I have worked in the small game petfood industry and I dont anymore. Its a total an absolute failure as far as control goes.

Without exception every station Ive seen that lets the pet food guys on as a mean to control numbers are abject failures, the problem often worse or no change after years of shooting.

Ive let a good friend shoot an area in one staion for the last three years, and left that area alone myself. There are more rabbits in that area than anywhere else on the 18000 hectares. Markedly more.

They only shoot the big ones so are farming them.

The other place I can think of is described in a previous post 17 where the petfood guys have been taking home 600 a week to process for the last 10 years. There are hundreds of thousands of rabbits on that station still. A dismal failure in usefulness when it comes to reducing numbers.,

After a couple of years of the Petfood Guys coming in every rabbit on the station is gunshy and you cant get near them.. its a luv fest of gunshy rabbits feeding and f**king and breeding up large.

The only way to deal with that is large scale 1080 or pindone drop and no one wants that, so they are part of the problem and not solving it.  Smiley

Oh my god ......you almost there ....you sound almost like a ....true rabbiter ...its taken a while  but you are getting there . Smiley Smiley SmileyTaking rabbits for pet food while doing pest control is like double billing or dripping ,the landowner is paying a good hourly rate while you drive around gutting and picking up rabbits .In this hot weather they would require cooling down & to hit the ice quickly ,just more mucking around for the shooter.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #42 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 6:44am
Print Post  
Interesting, makes total sense to me! Just shoot them bastards!  Cheesy

Funny that hares aren't the same problem? What is the reason? Smaller litters, fussy about tucker, don't breed as quick?

I have never ever seen wild rabbit in Europe. Mostly the are protected by law, gone (apart for UK of course) due to lack of habitat and industrial-scale poisioning (mainly Eastern Europe, with extensive use of tractors in 50's and 60's small field have been joined together, while smashing down scrubby/stony shelterbelts around them) or because they have just been eaten down to zero (France, Italy). Still some around Spain and Portugal I think, but they are all on "red list" as protected...  Grin

However hares are still all around, but to shoot them you have to stick with given quota, in some countries they are highly priced and valued game animal!

Warm beer is worst than cold woman!

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #43 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 11:43am
Print Post  
Pete you answered your own question about the hares.

Rabbiter  the reason I stopped picking up and gutting is it make your hands dirty and the skin cracks on your fingers from the fluids. My girlfriends didn't like that dead rabbit smell either. Gets in your hair and  clothing. My wife was complaining lots about that. 

Far more fun and satisfaction financially just shooting the buggers. Grin

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #44 - Dec 8th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Having planted quite a few Ha of steep stuff on my farm into pines I am getting stuck into the hares. The .223 is great on them, as they don't seem to scarper if you keep your distance. They only ever seem to have 2 or 3 leverets inside the females, and apparently only breed 2 or 3 times a year: That up against rabbits that  often have 2-3 times that number of baby rabbits, and keep cranking them out all spring and summer long. Will explain why when I go out I tip over 4 times as many rabbits as hares.
Picked up some cheap Freedom Munitions .223 from the Sika Show and I have to say I am impressed with the stuffs accuracy for once fired reloads. Hares and bunnies are toast out to 220-240m

Funny how in the EU and Europe they spent the post WW11 period enlargening farms and mowing down anything that got in the way of the tractors.....then about 30 years ago it all turned around and you were paid as a farmer to NOT cultivate about 10% of your land, up against hedgerows etc. Called Setaside from memory. Most Kiwis would not know that a typical European or UK farmer got about 25-45% of their income from subsidies.
Headcase, as long as your wife only smells rabbit guts on your fingers you should be fine Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
But never as bad as possum grease. that stuff stays  on your hands for weeks Sad.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards