Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) record numbers of rabbits about . (Read 1586 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Re: record numbers of rabbits about .
Reply #15 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 7:45am:
There are so few rabbits here in Marlborough that my mate has just sold his spotlight truck and the rabbit shooters club is now purely social

Dammit Flintlock, you and your mates have shot the last one.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:25pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 6:01pm:
padox wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 4:56pm:
Yes a lot of $ gets spent round this area on control most is dun with a helicopter

So like a lot of methods the numbers shot are high at first but drops off rapidly as more and more rabbits become helicopter shy.

I can detect a helicopter approaching from at least a km, and a rabbit probably from further.  After two or three passes over an area there are thousands of rabbits left that are chopper/gun shy.. You wont see them again but they are there breeding, and litter after litter are trained in flight response, down the hole, to the sound of shots, or the chopper approaching by their savy mature rabbit elders.

In the end the problem may become worse..

I used to watch em at dawn racing into the distance from 500m away as I drove across the barren rabbit warren and totally eroded landscape on Maryburn Station. Dozens of em disappearing into the distance and down  warrens, long before youd have seen them in the dark with a spot.

Posen is the answer, and then a follow up shoot later on to polish off a few of the survivors.

Thats interesting and something I already knew first hand ,when about 5 years ago a station owner from along the shores of lake Dunsdan contacted me seeking some work to be done around some old mine tailings .A mornings work with the dogs did not result in many(65) given the areas rabbit history  .The owner got very excited when I passed on my tally and asked me to return the very next weekend to undertake more work,something I couldn't really understand till the manager informed me the owner had used his chopper over the same area the morning before I arrived for a total of 15 .He also told me of one gully that had a black rabbit living in it & if I managed to get that, he would consider it a test . I sneaked up where I spotted several normal colored rabbits out feeding along with "darky ' but decided to leave him and shoot one of the others to better gauge how "gun shy" they were .With the one shot "darky" disappeared under ground & wasn't seen again that day on my many checks .The next day I worked out that gullie by other methods & recovered a total of 3 black bunnies,that seemed to make  the land owner even MORE excited  but given the task, I passed on any more work as it appeared to be almost a full time job .I cant comment on the state of the rabbit population on that place now but I'm picking nothing much will have changed unless control has a lifted effort these days.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #17 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:47pm
Print Post  
Lol,, I also just turned down more work on a station that had had/has a huge history of chronic rabbit overpopulation syndrome.

Recently asked to just clear the rabbits on 400 hectares flat and deer fenced land, me and  Striker turned up the 1st evening an went to shoot just 3 of the paddocks under the scrubby hillsides.   Using a thermal we can count rabbits over a wide field of view out to about 1km. They were streaming down off the hillsides and coming through the broken rabbit fence in little waves like the ocean running up onto a shallow sandy beach.

1st night we averaged 100/hour using a semi auto, shooting strings of 10 at a time. They were everywhere around the vehicle.

after resting for a week 2nd night was a bit slower but still ok.

after resting for a few more nights, 3rd night shooting was pretty slow but still getting a few.

4th night  went back on my own and walked in for a good look with the thermal. 

I was stunned to see probably twice as many as the 1st night.  Had literally possibly 5000 rabbits strung out over a 1km by 1km quadrant, over the paddocks and up on the slopes above. But around me within 200 meters there were only a few. Little waves of rabbits were moving away from me like the bow wave of a boat as I progressed across the terrain.

Gave up and went home. Rung the bloke the next morning and recommended he make a 5 year plan and 1080 the whole station.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #18 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 3:59pm:
I was working out of Tarras for quite a while,used ti see ol Wong quite a bit in those days..
$5 a bunny at one stage till the cocky clicked  Grin Grin
Nice area.

What blocks? [/quote]

Started on Richard Snows in the Lindis then Tinburn,out to and around the Fat mans hut area,,big trout out their,can still see them Shocked
Then up into Ida Valley,Moa crk.Blackstone ridge,list goes on.Used ti work up around the Oldman rock area also.Just cant remember all the big blocks names now.
Lota good memories down there eh.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #19 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 2:29pm:
That would have been very big money.. and the best bit, theres never the last one shot.

That was a great earner fi sure,two of us were involved.
Bendigo was the spot.Went down ti $3  Roll Eyes talk about slaughter on tenth avenue  Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
The lower reaches of Bendigo are covered in grapes these days.

Guess what, the rabbits are still there.  Roll Eyes

Our mutual friend, Steve the Terrible is making good coin shooting rabbits in vineyards and dogging life style blocks. Hes camped just across the lake..  Grin

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #21 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:34pm:

Our mutual friend, Steve the Terrible is making good coin shooting rabbits in vineyards and dogging life style blocks. Hes camped just across the lake..  Grin

Yeah had a few trips down there aways back,grape city all right. Surely we got the last bugs..hard ti imagine there's any left  Roll Eyes
S the terrible  Grin I like that..he's doin what he likes eh.
The big Maori is still throwin plenty of lead not far from your turf,,doing alright also.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #22 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
The big Maori is still throwin plenty of lead not far from your turf,,doing alright also.

He was spending a lot of time on my turf.  Roll Eyes Grin so I shot the last wallaby and now hes a bit upset about that .

IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #23 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:52pm:

He was spending a lot of time on my turf.  Roll Eyes Grin so I shot the last wallaby and now hes a bit upset about that .

The poachin bastard....I taught him well  Grin

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #24 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
Grinheadcase wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:47pm:
Lol,, I also just turned down more work on a station that had had/has a huge history of chronic rabbit overpopulation syndrome.

Recently asked to just clear the rabbits on 400 hectares flat and deer fenced land, me and  Striker turned up the 1st evening an went to shoot just 3 of the paddocks under the scrubby hillsides.   Using a thermal we can count rabbits over a wide field of view out to about 1km. They were streaming down off the hillsides and coming through the broken rabbit fence in little waves like the ocean running up onto a shallow sandy beach.

1st night we averaged 100/hour using a semi auto, shooting strings of 10 at a time. They were everywhere around the vehicle.

after resting for a week 2nd night was a bit slower but still ok.

after resting for a few more nights, 3rd night shooting was pretty slow but still getting a few.

4th night  went back on my own and walked in for a good look with the thermal. 

I was stunned to see probably twice as many as the 1st night.  Had literally possibly 5000 rabbits strung out over a 1km by 1km quadrant, over the paddocks and up on the slopes above. But around me within 200 meters there were only a few. Little waves of rabbits were moving away from me like the bow wave of a boat as I progressed across the terrain.

Gave up and went home. Rung the bloke the next morning and recommended he make a 5 year plan and 1080 the whole station.

Grin Grin Grin outstanding

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #25 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 11:10am
Print Post  
EC wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:27pm:
headcase wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:34pm:

Yeah had a few trips down there aways back,grape city all right. Surely we got the last bugs..hard ti imagine there's any left  Roll Eyes
S the terrible  Grin I like that..he's doin what he likes eh.

Steve the terrible always has done what he likes  Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #26 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 12:51pm
Print Post  
I'm driving night tours for star gazers,the amount of rabbits I see on the roads around town and up the mount is bloody amazing.Some areas in town would have 20 rabbits in the area of a double garage.Last night I would have seen a 100 small ones the size of a big coffee mug.
I could do with 2 shooters on the roof of the bus.That would make for a interesting night. Grin Grin

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Krico25

Reply #27 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Are you a star gazer Trout?.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #28 - Dec 4th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
There are as many rabbits in South Canterbury as stars in the Cosmos.  Cheesy

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #29 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 12:41pm
Print Post  
Krico25 wrote on Dec 4th, 2017 at 4:45pm:
Are you a star gazer Trout?.
No, just get payed for driving gazers there so I can buy ammo,salmon gear and diesel. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards