Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) record numbers of rabbits about . (Read 1587 times)
rabbiter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

record numbers of rabbits about .
Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:50am
Print Post  
Id say without doubt that the hubble rabbit is now back ,in some areas in huge numbers.I for one aren't the least bit surprised & it looks like its set to continue .

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Re: record numbers of rabbits about .
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:55am
Print Post  
Yet I'd say numbers are at the lowest I've seen them since I been down here surprising considering tarras i.e. home of the rabbit

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 12:28pm
Print Post  
rabbiter wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:50am:
Id say without doubt that the hubble rabbit is now back ,in some areas in huge numbers.I for one aren't the least bit surprised & it looks like its set to continue .

Lambings over. Now the killing fields begins.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:55am:
Yet I'd say numbers are at the lowest I've seen them since I been down here surprising considering tarras i.e. home of the rabbit

I was working out of Tarras for quite a while,used ti see ol Wong quite a bit in those days..
$5 a bunny at one stage till the cocky clicked  Grin Grin
Nice area.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
That would have been very big money.. and the best bit, theres never the last one shot.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
I was working out of Tarras for quite a while,used ti see ol Wong quite a bit in those days..
$5 a bunny at one stage till the cocky clicked  Grin Grin
Nice area.
[/quote]
What blocks?

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Its a fact that rabbit numbers have climbed steeply over the last ten years ,reports are most of the hot spots in the south Island  including Southland  also  around lake taupo in the north all  have alot of rabbits now  .Several times a week the phone rings asking for help to address a growing problem.  Farmers and land owners are screaming out for the release of the K5 expected in march 2018,but given the expected % rate of kill its not going to be the answer,only another tool in the box. The battle against the rabbit is a very old one ,its had alot thrown at it and yet hes still with us .

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Yes a lot of $ gets spent round this area on control most is dun with a helicopter

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
Should be charging $90 an hour.  Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
padox wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 4:56pm:
Yes a lot of $ gets spent round this area on control most is dun with a helicopter

So like a lot of methods the numbers shot are high at first but drops off rapidly as more and more rabbits become helicopter shy.

I can detect a helicopter approaching from at least a km, and a rabbit probably from further.  After two or three passes over an area there are thousands of rabbits left that are chopper/gun shy.. You wont see them again but they are there breeding, and litter after litter are trained in flight response, down the hole, to the sound of shots, or the chopper approaching by their savy mature rabbit elders.

In the end the problem may become worse..

I used to watch em at dawn racing into the distance from 500m away as I drove across the barren rabbit warren and totally eroded landscape on Maryburn Station. Dozens of em disappearing into the distance and down  warrens, long before youd have seen them in the dark with a spot.

Posen is the answer, and then a follow up shoot later on to polish off a few of the survivors.

IP Logged

scottrods
Forum Font

Aim small, Hit small

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 6:04pm
Print Post  
I shot 141 two weekends back with the 223 down in Tarras.

Kids who learn to Hunt and Fish,
Don't learn to Steal and Deal.

IP Logged

padox
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
We don't see a lot of chopper shy 1s we do do follow up shoots etc last run I think was 53 out of machine 5 shot for a night with the light

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 7:07pm
Print Post  
After this extremely wet winter I thought to myself, at least it will have knocked the bunny population hard this year....Ha! Haven't see this many bunnies about Taupo for yonks!!!

Then I went and spent 10 days down around Queenstown recently, and realised we don't have a bunny problem in Taupo, we have a few cute furry critters about. Now Queenstown and environs, now THEY have a bunny problem. Ye gods they are everywhere Shocked Shocked Shocked

IP Logged

rabbiter
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 4:56am
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 7:07pm:
After this extremely wet winter I thought to myself, at least it will have knocked the bunny population hard this year....Ha! Haven't see this many bunnies about Taupo for yonks!!!

Then I went and spent 10 days down around Queenstown recently, and realised we don't have a bunny problem in Taupo, we have a few cute furry critters about. Now Queenstown and environs, now THEY have a bunny problem. Ye gods they are everywhere Shocked Shocked Shocked

I have a ex rabbit board mate whos been contacting around the bottom  of lake taupo . Over the last few years he reports a rising population in pockets of course,this now has caused DOC (who never spent a penny unless its required) to
to pay him to action some of their land . Some night shoots hes shooting a couple of hundred .Hes just spent two weeks solid gassing and filling in warrens on several farms.
« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:08pm by rabbiter »  

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 7:45am
Print Post  
There are so few rabbits here in Marlborough that my mate has just sold his spotlight truck and the rabbit shooters club is now purely social

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards