Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic small base dies (Read 453 times)
Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

small base dies
Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:25am
Print Post  
ok so we have an older BLR .308 and have been having issues with reloads......plurry tight to chamber even an empty FLR case using hornady new dimension std dies.
after much research people telling me we should be using small base dies that will make case tas narrower at web area and issue should go away.......
tried a FLR case in older set of .30/06 dies and buggamesideways it wouldnt slide in so gave it a wee lube,took out neck sizing button and worked it through press....it appears to have brought case down to closer to factory size...... can anyone with small base dies in.308 do a measure (my calipers dont measure fine enough) and see if they take it down to same specs as .30/06
looking up specs it APPEARS the 06 case is slightly smaller at web area (maybe they made 08 case fatter to prevent chambering???) have I stumbled over a poor mans small base die????

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: small base dies
Reply #1 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Have a look at the dimensions
3006 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.30-06_Springfield

308 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.308_Winchester

any way it is the fired dimensions you need to worry about not the factory new dimensions .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:30am
Print Post  
This issue arises in mil brass used in std gun. Overcome by annealing and sbd. Only have experience in 223.

IP Logged

shooternz

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Don't be tight buy a Redding Small base body die I have them in 6mmBR and .223 and a small base bushing die in .308 which with
a bushing change works as a 7mm08,
The 30/06 case has more taper than the .308 so would over work the brass and with no shoulder in the die you could have headspace
problems down the track

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 6:43am
Print Post  
sako wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:30am:
This issue arises in mil brass used in std gun. Overcome by annealing ..

Annealing is NOT the way to deal with brass that's tight in a chamber near the base. No significant heat should ever be applied to the bottom two-thirds of a case.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 12:43pm
Print Post  
Rob,I was intending to put through the .308 die after making body smaller in .30/06 or vice versa,just wondered if the diamentions of .30/06 as similar to what you get from small base. its the bottom 1/2-1/4 of case that got reworked by 06 die....

IP Logged

shooternz

Reply #6 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 12:43pm:
Rob,I was intending to put through the .308 die after making body smaller in .30/06 or vice versa,just wondered if the diamentions of .30/06 as similar to what you get from small base. its the bottom 1/2-1/4 of case that got reworked by 06 die....

I think that depends on the make of die not all are the same you would need to try a few to find the one that sizes to the diameter you want, all the 30/06 and .308 case based cartridge bases are .470"  so unless you find a die tighter than standard they should all size them the same diameter finding an out of spec size die would be like winning LOTTO

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
thats what I thought but then the .30/06 die "shouldnt" work a case that has been through a .308 full length cycle.....I tried it on a flr case, just to see and was surprised how much "work" it did do.

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Buy another full length resizing die and cut the neck off, this will allow you to set the case in deeper without changing the headspacing, then resize with the ordinary die to get a good fit. It may be that you will need to have two dies set up at the same time. (OK for me as I have a 6 station press)

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #9 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
hmmmmm food for thought..... thanks for taking the time to ponder this and get back to me with thoughts....

IP Logged

Rugersst
Forum Font

Victory is mine...

Reply #10 - yesterday at 2:13am
Print Post  
Have you tried turning the die down another 1/8 -1/4 of a turn? Had a similar issue with a lever action some years back and this fixed it, thought I might have been over doing the resize but never had an issue.
Was the same Hornady dies also.

Also had a problem once where I hadn't used enough lube on the inside of the necks and was slightly stretching the shoulder with the collet just enough to make them tight, took me a while to track down.....

IP Logged

noelfj
Forum Font

Reply #11 - yesterday at 7:31pm
Print Post  
I had the same sort of problem when setting up a Remington 742 semi as a pump action in 30-06, my supply of odd brass, 25-06, 270, and 30-06 was very varied and about 30 cases just would not size down with my standard dies.
I set up a case holder, one of my specials as a push only and used a punch through the center of the die to remove the case. This reduced the body diameter to fit the rifle but stuffed up the head space as the case was some 1/16" too short to the head spacing shoulder.
This was fixed by making a little tool to form 3 out standing bumps on the case shoulder and then sizing each case to headspace correctly for my rifle.
The cases head spaced on the sized bumps
On firing the case fire formed to the exact chamber size.
All the cases involved were annealed twice during the process.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards