Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic By-Kill of Brodifacoum (Read 3289 times)
Ruger260
Forum Senior

It makes good reading

By-Kill of Brodifacoum
Nov 30th, 2017 at 7:56pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: By-Kill of Brodifacoum
Reply #1 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 6:27am
Print Post  
yeah, nah, she'l be right mate.  Isn't it crazy that you can buy and spread as much of this around as you like!  humans, ya dooomed

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 7:45am
Print Post  
I notice there was one specific species not tested brodifacoum residues, us.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Stupid indiscriminate usage.

At least with Pindone the body can rid itself of sublethal doses within bout 3 weeks.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 11:56am
Print Post  
Broadifacoum should be banned asap its worse then 1080!!! it accumulates in the liver and not supposed to harvest animals for 3 YEARS!!  with pigs being the most affected as they get secondary poisoning from eating carcasses.

where nz is going to run into trouble is this shit is used on lots of farms in nz through bait stations and we all know how messy a feeding coon is and we run a huge risk of it entering human food chain.  its been proven to get into wild deer populations when it was used through possum baitstations a number of years ago in southland so highly likely its in a number of animals sent to the works.

Only good thing is its illegal to aerial drop the stuff so handlaid only to reduce bykill

IP Logged

Ruger260
Forum Senior

It makes good reading

Reply #5 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:19pm
Print Post  
They did the Brook Reserve near Nelson with an aerial drop of this shyte, just recently.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:26pm
Print Post  
Theres handlaid and handlaid..  Roll Eyes Some dosing is better than others.

Assume though that even as a carcass breaks down the stuff then goes into the ground or water and eventually some of it wil still find its way into plants etc.. 

And that which is oversown and just lies there has an even more direct route into the food chain as it will distribute through the ecosystem even more quickly..

Why is this stuff even available? What advantage does it offer over Pindone?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Dec 1st, 2017 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
Brodificoum is only used on mainland islands or offshore. Effective but bad side effects.
The problem as pointed out is by its use as rat poison or in bait stations. I think Talon might be brodificoum.
Having said that there has been tonnes of it dropped on Maungataurtari and theres plenty of wildlife up there.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 7:34am
Print Post  
meathunter72 wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 7:44pm:
Brodificoum is only used on mainland islands or offshore. Effective but bad side effects.
The problem as pointed out is by its use as rat poison or in bait stations. I think Talon might be brodificoum.
Having said that there has been tonnes of it dropped on Maungataurtari and theres plenty of wildlife up there.

Thanks but that still doesnt tell us why its used at all when there are alternatives.

will have to do some research.

Ive killed rats, mice, possums, wallabies, and rabbits with Pindone pellets. Possum Pindone seems to be a popular food with all of the above. The scent makes it easy to find.  Why arnt they using that.

The pellets break down as fast or longer depending on what type one uses. Secondary poisoning is still a risk but its not cumulative to the same degree as Brodi.

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Dec 16th, 2017 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
Anybody can buy brodifacoum (TALON) at almost any hardware shop and drop it wherever f**kwits might feel like. Taking wild pork was banned in Marlborugh Sounds years ago because bach owners had chucked so much of it around that the food chain, including wild pigs are contaminated. Its very bad shit and virtually  banned by the United States EPA, but not by our idiots in EPA NZ.

Obviously, DoC and Forest and Bird love the stuff.

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Need to use something much less toxic and persistent.......I wonder what that might be?  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

huntnfish
Forum Senior

Reply #11 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 10:57am
Print Post  
bullets and traps

If you don't know it all, then you don't know what you don't know.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #12 - Dec 18th, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 7:34am:
meathunter72 wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 7:44pm:

Thanks but that still doesnt tell us why its used at all when there are alternatives.

will have to do some research.

Ive killed rats, mice, possums, wallabies, and rabbits with Pindone pellets. Possum Pindone seems to be a popular food with all of the above. The scent makes it easy to find.  Why arnt they using that.

The pellets break down as fast or longer depending on what type one uses. Secondary poisoning is still a risk but its not cumulative to the same degree as Brodi.

I think you will find that the reason it is used so commonly used is that it is a highly effective anti-coagulent but due its higher toxic loading there is less needed to kill an animal and therefore less needed to buy and carry by those using it. You can now get it in 20P or 50P (really grunty). DOC do not allow its use on DOC managed land but it is regarded as the only poison capable of achieving island eradication of rodents. It is everywhere in the environment and is a shocker! What makes me shake my head is that there are so many anti 1080 people out there but they don't make a peep about Brodi. The other ironic thing is that where people have actively stopped aerial 1080 being used and required ground control, Brodi is often the alternative toxin used and they are OK with that. Unbelievable! Pig hunters are the most at risk due to most pig populations being in contact with Brodi and their scavenging nature. I for one would never eat pig offal and am also very careful about where I take my meat from. This year a lot of the public land around me has been 1080d and the remaining private land has a heap of Brodi on it. At least I can go back in and hunt and take meat from the 1080d areas next year. Not so with Brodi  Sad

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 11:03am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Dec 1st, 2017 at 12:26pm:
Theres handlaid and handlaid..  Roll Eyes Some dosing is better than others.

Assume though that even as a carcass breaks down the stuff then goes into the ground or water and eventually some of it wil still find its way into plants etc.. 

And that which is oversown and just lies there has an even more direct route into the food chain as it will distribute through the ecosystem even more quickly..

Why is this stuff even available? What advantage does it offer over Pindone?

If you chucked it out the door of a helicopter by hand then would that classify as handlaid?

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Marty Foote

Reply #14 - Dec 19th, 2017 at 11:40am
Print Post  
DOC started using using Brodificum as a part of the ground operations at the Urewera Mainland Island.

DOC quickly made the decision to stop using Brodificum after most of the deer shot were tested as being positive to brodificum.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards