Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Packraft (Read 590 times)
edwin
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Packraft
Nov 28th, 2017 at 9:07pm
Print Post  
Hi intending to purchase a packraft mainly being used for hunting trips has any one used the Koaro packraft made in new zealand or other makes , Smiley would welcome feed back

IP Logged

P.G
Donor Member

Lost my bloody profile...

Re: Packraft
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Will follow this with intrest, also keen to purchase 1 when i return home next year.

IP Logged

Winded
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Don't know much about it myself, but here's Josh James Kiwi Bushman and co using it and talking about it.

https://youtu.be/1pA_WViSTkk

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Saw a bloke down the river with an Alpacka made with 400d Vectran.It is the goods. Using it for some low water stuff and reckons it is bullet proof. Costly but ooh so nice.

IP Logged

blackgear nz
Donor Member

Custom thermoforming knife
sheaths

Reply #4 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
I'm interested to see what anyone has to say about them.

I haven't worked out the logistics of how I would use one though. Ideal for a heli in and raft out and I have been on plenty of trips when walking out wishing I could be on the river but the thought of carrying a paddle, skirt, life jacket, helmet and raft certainly adds to the weight and bulk of an already full pack.

Instagram blackgear nz

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Dec 7th, 2017 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
If you can see if you can locate the Kennett bros using an incept kayak raft which they walked and packed  into head of Mokihinui and rafted out. Awesome vid.

IP Logged

willfish
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Dec 9th, 2017 at 5:30am
Print Post  
edwin wrote on Nov 28th, 2017 at 9:07pm:
Hi intending to purchase a packraft mainly being used for hunting trips has any one used the Koaro packraft made in new zealand or other makes , Smiley would welcome feed back

I've got an AIRE BAKraft (my FnH profile is restricted from posting links...sorry). I got the "Expedition" as I intend to be doing longer trips and packing game on it, though I've yet to actually do more than day-runs.

The price is dear, but it's a burlier material and design than most of the other brands (translates to more weight though). In general, I've found stuff made by AIRE tends to be slightly on the heavier side, but is usually an optimal blend of durabilty and field repairability (only ever had to once, but it was way easier than other brands would have been). I've been super-impressed with the boat's performance so far. I've rowed and IKd upwards of 5,500 kms of rivers and creeks (all classes) and would feel comfortable taking the boat into class IV.

At any rate, I'm looking for exploration partners and have a few spots in the Tararua, Ruahine, and Kawekas in-mind, though water levels are likely too low for most of them at the moment. At any rate, hit me up, if you're interested in coming up to the N Island.

Good Luck,
Will

PS. As you consider paddles, I recommend the Werner Tybee.
A bit hard to find, even in the US, but they're a better quality 4-piece than most without breaking the bank on one like the hardshell hairboaters use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards