Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic all hard work (Read 1352 times)
264Magic
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

all hard work
Nov 28th, 2017 at 8:05am
Print Post  
on the trail of a big bull,,half an hour after leaving the car i spotted a bull and a red in a lovely gut which had never produced for me before but its a ideal looking little gully
went  around the back of the hill to get the wind right and left most of the gear at the bottom just taking the spotter and camera n tripod
at three hundred i set up to cover the two guts that the animals were hiding in then proceeded to yell to get them moving as i had a long way to go,,no reaction for a minute or two but then the bull surged up the hill and sprinted around the face to disappear,,of the deer no sign so i assume it to be a hind with a fawn and lying down in among the rubbish
got to my camp late and went downstream to see what was around,,my new spotter told me the nearest bull looked damn good(did i mention the day was hot and muggy)leaving all my gear behind on the flat amongst the tussock i quickly set off as the time waited for no man and darkness was in an hour,,
not much to say about the climb apart from it was bloody hot n muggy,,into the gut i go to see his two companions just being enveloped by fog but the gods smiled on me as the big fella had split off an had fed down a wee way,,myself i like to get close and the closer still,,really gets the blood pumping,at sixty yrds i set my pack down over my knees and took a deliberate shot to flatten him with a spine and between the blades hit
only come in at 13 so im still on the trail of the big boy
early the next morn i sneaked in on two fallow(bow range)and gave them a bloody good fright Grin Grin(education its called)i will shoot the white one soon for xmas
had a wee problem finding my gear in the dark among the tussock as id taken off in such a hurry that i left the torch behind

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Re: all hard work
Reply #1 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 7:03pm
Print Post  
Those little 13's still getting in the way mate. Grin Grin   Thought at your age you would have learnt that finding stuff in the dark is a lot easier when you take your torch.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

MeatHunta
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
264Magic, Put one of these on your pack. The battery lasts forever.
http://www.dx.com/p/ultrafire-xp-01-led-2-6lm-3-mode-red-bike-tail-safety-light-...

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 6:33am
Print Post  
meathunter...the trouble is he would leave it at home Grin Grin

keep at it old boy,sooner or later you will trip over one of the big fellas.

IP Logged

live free or die
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:06am
Print Post  
I'd be happy to get those little thirteen inchers outa your way when I come back Les! Smiley

IP Logged

264Magic
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 10:29am
Print Post  
live free or die wrote on Dec 3rd, 2017 at 3:06am:
I'd be happy to get those little thirteen inchers outa your way when I come back Les! Smiley

be happy to let you Cool

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

smiddy
Forum Font

hunting,  not working

Reply #6 - Dec 5th, 2017 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
good to see your still out there doing it my old friend Les,  i two was just in the hills for a few nights but could only manage a 12in, although been a few years since id shot a bull,  i have my 10inch buck and 13in bull already so now looking for that 14 like you are by the sounds of it

IP Logged

264Magic
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2017 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
smiddy wrote on Dec 5th, 2017 at 9:11pm:
good to see your still out there doing it my old friend Les,  i two was just in the hills for a few nights but could only manage a 12in, although been a few years since id shot a bull,  i have my 10inch buck and 13in bull already so now looking for that 14 like you are by the sounds of it

with luck i should have a vid up of a horse for you to look at next week,,can have a guess as to its length

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards