Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Poll
Poll closed Question: How much would you be willing to pay yearly for "Wild game license"?
bars   pie
*** This poll has now closed ***

nothing at all, its been always for free!    
  84 (52.8%)
$50    
  12 (7.5%)
$100    
  44 (27.7%)
$200    
  15 (9.4%)
$300    
  2 (1.3%)
more than $300    
  2 (1.3%)

Total votes: 159
« Created by: Pete82 on: Nov 28th, 2017 at 6:33am »
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Wild game license (Read 2244 times)
Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Wild game license
Nov 28th, 2017 at 6:33am
Print Post  
Following bit of discussion at Molesworth 1080 thread I setup a poll to see if all of us can agree at least on something like fighting 1080 with our own money...

According to my quick research there is 230.000 gun license holders in New Zealand. Let say that 60% of those are hunters which leaves us with about 138.000 people. If half of us would be willing to pay $200/year towards "Wild game license" we can have about $13.8 million at hand yearly to opose drops, use repellants, fund lawsuits and research, etc.

We can discuss here how licensing could/coudn't be done, who will be doing it and what benefits license holder could have when compared to unlicensed hunter (ballots only for registered hunters, creating hunting zones for registered hunters only etc.).

What do you think?

And don't throw stones at me please  Grin I am just trying to figure out how we can all get out of the cycle we are at right now. Because if don't do anything we sure will have not much left to hunt in few decades...  Undecided
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:18am by Pete82 »  

Warm beer is worst than cold woman!

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Wild game license
Reply #1 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 7:00am
Print Post  
Support to idea of an licence fee.

This topic has been raised before. Hitop started a good thread about it, probably a couple years ago

But hunting issues are not just about fighting government departments etc.
theres more to Game Management than that.

The organization that this funding supports  needs to be clear

because it potentially involves challenging the Minister of Conservation, the Game Animal Council cant do this. AFAIK. They are accountable to the MOC.
But the GAC does have a mandate to manage recreational hunting and  is able to levy hunters that benefit. They are also mandated to manage hunting, is certain areas (HOSI).
But I doubt that they could be used to legally challenge the governments decisions

Logically, the NZDA is the national hunting organization that should do lobbying on behalf of hunters. They are the most established hunting organization and have a mandate to advocate for hunting.

But to set compulsory fees, manage game herds on public land is not in the power of the likes of NZDA.

Herds of special interest can be managed by hunters, but these come under the umberela of the GAC.

So trying to combine an organization that cant legally "manage" hunting (on public land) versus one that is simply a lobbying group may not work

At a local level, the Lower North Island Red Deer Foundation (LNIRDF) are a lobby group, that did take DOC to court. Potentially that group could also manage a game herd, but only as an HOSI.

PS, I don't think hunters in NZ would ever agree of what they want, would pay fees and accept additional restrictions involving Game Management. 

IP Logged

gonehuntin
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 7:14am
Print Post  
f**k management by organizations that IMO are just becoming gentlemens hunting clubs (nzda) and are after "blocks" and private land to only benefit a few.

id rather side with doc on this then let stupid gac and nzda dictate who where and what is hunted get stuffed. doc have it right kill em all and f**k the rest of ya  Smiley

if you can get a group of people together that are unbiased and take a very open view on hunting and the variety of hunters we have in nz then id go for it but when its mainly head hunters and private land warriors that want to make the rules they can stick it up their arse.

IP Logged

OWS
Donor Member

Let's get some deer

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
In theory I'd be happy to pay for a licence to hunt on public land, like duck shooters to to fish and game. But it would depend on what the money is used for, and by whom. I agree with Tararua Hunter - the hunting community is very diverse and would be difficult to reach a consensus on the optimum balance of recreational hunting goals versus wider conservation goals. I don't like 1080 (no one does) but I would be reluctant to put my money in the hands of the extreme anti-1080 movement. Not interesting in this thread being hijacked by 1080, just saying my answer to the original question is a big "yes, but it depends".

Winston Churchill is credited with the quote “democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.” Perhaps our current approach to big game management is the worst, apart from all the others?

Gotta admit: we have some pretty f***ing awesome hunting.

You wot?

IP Logged

300wsm for life
Donor Member

I Live for the Nelson
Lakes

Reply #4 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
I would have to  read all  material about what said foundation was protecting and where there management strategy lies before I commit even $1 to the cause. Personally not interested in NZDA, been to a couple of their meetings and found them more of a dick measuring contest rather than a group of like minded people gathering. Have seen new hunters leave fairly down trodden after a meeting with some member, was quite disheartening to see. Why would I give my hard earned money to an organisation like that or one similar if a new organisation wss founded. Would rather pay a yearly fee to DoC for a licence to hunt public land.

IP Logged

OWS
Donor Member

Let's get some deer

Reply #5 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
I've been a member of NZDA branches in cities and a member of an independent club in a more rural area. I've found the independent club to have a much more positive, community feel to it, whereas the NZDA city branches were tight-knit old boys clubs, pretty unwelcoming and unsupportive of new members. I didn't shoot my first deer until I left NZDA.

Unsure if this is a city versus rural thing or something particular to the culture of NZDA branches. I hope the NZDA branches out in the regions are a bit more friendly and inclusive.

You wot?

IP Logged

Rumpy
Donor Member

Wishing I was out in the
hills.

Reply #6 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 6:32pm
Print Post  
300wsm for life wrote on Nov 28th, 2017 at 2:27pm:
I would have to  read all  material about what said foundation was protecting and where there management strategy lies before I commit even $1 to the cause. Personally not interested in NZDA, been to a couple of their meetings and found them more of a dick measuring contest rather than a group of like minded people gathering. Have seen new hunters leave fairly down trodden after a meeting with some member, was quite disheartening to see. Why would I give my hard earned money to an organisation like that or one similar if a new organisation wss founded. Would rather pay a yearly fee to DoC for a licence to hunt public land.

Don't your taxes already pay DOC to look after our public land?

For me, I would like DOC to realise why the animals were released in NZ in the first place. There are enough hunters in NZ for DOC to do what's right and stop trying to kill every PEST in the country.

.270 WIN   AWESOME SINCE 1925       "REMEMBER THE 6 P's" POOR PREPARATION PROVIDES PISS POOR PERFORMANCE

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #7 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Thank you for your insight Tararua Hunter! It seems all pretty complex and rather broken up into different groups chasing different goals...same as hunters...  Roll Eyes

Yes it all depends how the organisation would work, structure etc... Funny enough DOC did crossed my mind first of all as they would have to look after the hunters to receive the yearly money so I think it could work.

Its wonder that whole thing with hunters, DOC and all didn't start falling apart a lot sooner. It does need some rethinking as we all see its not going to last like that for long and most likely outcome is that we are going to be left out. Some groups might have power over small areas but we really have to start thinking about NZ as one hunting ground for us all!

Where I came originally from its all pretty grim when comes to hunting. Gentleman clubs have somewhat bigger scale there, there is quote for just about anything, if you are from bigger city you have basically null chance to hunt. If you are form small village/town than you spend first few years just feeding the animals and flushing game in autumn before they allow you to shoot pheasant and one hare... I ma not joking, this is reality around most of European countries. We all live in paradise here so it pays of to manage it - something good to leave for next generations!
« Last Edit: Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:40am by Pete82 »  

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

7mm08Roks
Forum Font

Leather Work 027 5422
985 www.hgd.co.nz

Reply #8 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 5:39am
Print Post  
All that money would be used to police the licence, to have someone stationed at all public land entry points 7days a week. Next minute poof all that money gone

Hamish

AIM  
IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 6:12am
Print Post  
I agree with Hamish.
If there is a license, there will need to be enforcement.
And ultimately it’s public land that we are all free to walk on to any time we like.
Just creates another layer of bureaucracy.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #10 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 6:21am
Print Post  
So you guys reckon hunters cant be trusted? That's probably the cause of lots of issues we face then.

Whether a big game licence is right or wrong, the equivalent seems to work for Fish and Game.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #11 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
I don't think that policing is nesessary. If whole scheme is self-policing so to speak then there is no need for "wardens" running around checking hunters licenses.

How about letting only Wild Game Licenses holders to access ballot system for a start? How about letting only them to access restricted hunting areas? Make it easier for them to take dogs into certain areas? Discounts for huts? Access to DOC pellet survey results or latest field reports so they we where animals are?

What I am thinking is definitely not creating extra bureau apparatus  but rather implementing license into existing system!  Cool

I am puzzled that someone can actually think that paying taxes should make them eligible for extra treatment or somehow that we are all entitled to these animals without doing anything for it. Wake up guys and look around, its not working so far is it?

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

TJ
Online Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #12 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 10:53am
Print Post  
I am not too sure about the South but shit counts went out the window a long time ago up north

IP Logged

pope
Donor Member

SAVE A HORSE, ride a cow
girl

Reply #13 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
another idea would be to put a levy on all sporting goods like firearms and ammo,and pool that money into areas that need money,

IP Logged

chilly

Reply #14 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 3:02pm
Print Post  
Why is it that some people on this forum think that they OWN
dept/con/land you own zilch, nada,and never will own it.
Within certain perameters you are allowed the use of it, untill
the bureaucracy  decides you are not welcome,and as for the
pest we wish to keep on such lands, well well well.
Look at the license poll, its not doc whos the problem it ourselves.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards