Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Outboard tote tank (Read 478 times)
bigbang

Outboard tote tank
Nov 26th, 2017 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Hi guys. Just discovered a problem with my tote tank. Its an Eastern with the lid below the top. Last time we were out we had problems with the outboard cutting out so I thought I'd flush the tote tank out but because of its design you cant get the last 3-4 litres out. In my case once I syphoned it, it was mostly water. So either I'm after a new tote or going to somehow fix a new drain in it. Anyone struck this before?

A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Outboard tote tank
Reply #1 - Nov 27th, 2017 at 5:20pm
Print Post  
Hey mate, sorry I have been unable to post photos for quite some time so cant illustrate, but I would look at fitting a fuel filter with a visible water trap into your boat so that you can see and drain if needed.

Tote tanks condensate, more than inbuilt tanks in my opinion, especially if left less than full.

Many boating incidents and tragedies  have occured from water in the fuel lines and its preventable.
Don't leave fuel in tanks for too long either before using.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 8:37am
Print Post  
ive just got the spin on water filter , like a oil filter before the torpedo primer. Outboard cutting out could be a variety of faults. What outboard is it. I usually use up the gas in the tote tanks if not using the boat.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:34am
Print Post  
QUACKERS wrote on Dec 2nd, 2017 at 8:37am:
ive just got the spin on water filter , like a oil filter before the torpedo primer. Outboard cutting out could be a variety of faults. What outboard is it. I usually use up the gas in the tote tanks if not using the boat.

Are you able to tell if the filters holding water, or do you just unscrew it to check before each trip? nothing more reassuring than a glance at your fuel bowl showing clean unpolluted fuel as you do your regular pre start checks.

After he mentioned it was mostly water in his tank after siphoning it I presume water is his main problem.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #4 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
Nah can't pull it apart . Have just replaced it and  I pulled the old one apart.. and had some rubbish in there . The one in the yamaha outboard under the cowling is good aswell. I've just replaced that too.

I'm pretty sure I can fit a glass bowl type innit as they use similar bases.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #5 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
Keep ya tanks outta the sun aswell. Stop extra expansion condensation happening while not using them.

IP Logged

bigbang

Reply #6 - Dec 12th, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Hey thanks guys. I saw some of those in line filters in Burnsco the other day. The tank had been sitting in the weather for a while on and off as it sits in the cockpit of our trailer sailor most of the time so it could have been a combination of condensation plus the outlet fitting was a little loose. Its a 15 horse Mercury and its in getting a service now. It did cut out at exactly the wrong time in the channel between Kawakawa and Ponui Island with a 35-40kt wind against the tide so got a little exiting with kids and mum vomiting and me hanging out the back trying to pull start the dear thing while side on to the chop!!

A man begins cutting his wisdom teeth the first time he bites off more than he can chew.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards