Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kayak fishing Papamoa Domain 22nd Nov. (Read 252 times)
productovnz
Just Joined

Power is nothing without
accuracy

Kayak fishing Papamoa Domain 22nd Nov.
Nov 23rd, 2017 at 2:27pm
Print Post  
Went out for a kayak fish off Papamoa Domain yesterday morning towing a soft bait along the bottom.  Paddled out to my mark over a cockle bed about 2.5km out. 

The soft bait got molested by leather jackets, but surprisingly no snapper.  A couple of kontiki fishers I spoke to on the beach reckoned the Snapper were moving in closer to shore as the water temp was about 17 degrees.

Continued paddling south until I spotted a small work up with Petrels, Black back gulls and Sea gulls.  Towed a soft bait with no weight along the surface and hooked up on a very large Kahawai (approx. 2kg). 

Caught another 3 around the same size and released two.  They were feeding on slender silver bait fish, about 30mm long.  Possible juvenile pilchards, I didn't have my glasses so couldn't clearly see the distinctive mouth.

I hadn't fished a work up before in the kayak, quite neat being able to get into the middle of it without putting the fish down.  The birds reluctantly shared their fishing spot with me.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipO-a2PWO3INsjI27bw9Nh6Jyyktg2Q01bp0hHIK

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards