Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Arthurs pass meat mission (Read 1350 times)
Hook_Grass

270. win

Arthurs pass meat mission
Nov 19th, 2017 at 10:46am
Print Post  
The state of the flat freezer was pretty sad and with a long weekend coming up it was a good excuse to ditch the antics of the Christchurch races and head for the hills.

Driving in mid arvo on Friday I was greeted with some drizzle and patchy low cloud but it still looked worth a crack. I was heading into a spot that one of my mates had gone into a month earlier. He hadn't been able to stay the night in there but reported seeing lots of sign and it sounded like a primo spot for an overnight mission. So with his blessing i was going in there to see if it actually was a primo spot.

After a good 3hr grunt uphill from the truck I'd reached the bushline and set up a rough fly camp before having a quick bite and heading out for the evening hunt, it had only just gone 6pm but I figured I'd get into a good vantage point well back from the good country and just glass all evening and hopefully pick up something easy to target in the morning. I was positioned on a knob in the center of two creek heads, both with fingers of beech and snowgrass, the perfect place to find a deer. The wind was blowing from right to left so I was tucked down on the leeward side of the knob and had already picked up a hind and yearling feeding down on the grassy flats by the creek. I was just grabbing my gear to poke around the other side of the knob when the sound of hooves and a flash of movement out to my right caught my eye, DEER! only 30 meters away a mob of 3 stags had emerged onto the face below me. They were unaware of my presence. The older stag was chasing around the wee spiker, reminding him of who's boss. The oldest stag was definitely safe from me, with a full set of lower tines he was worth leaving to grow it out and besides he was a big bodied animal and I was on my own so it'd of been a waste.

(this guy had plenty of potential so was left to keep growing)

I quietly slid a round into the chamber and waited for a chance at either the spiker or the young nobbly stag that by this stage was only 20 meters away but partially hidden by the contours of the land. after a tense 10 minutes of taking pics and trying to get a shot the inevitable happened. A sharp downdraft took my scent directly to the stags and they made a break for it. I was in two minds whether to try for a shot or leave it and not disturb the area anymore but as the stags filled out through the beech face opposite the young stag stopped right in a clearing at only 150m and that made my decision for me. I let rip and heard a solid hit but it felt low and my follow up shot was well off line.

(The spiker that was getting harrased byt he older stag)

I heard a loud crunch from where he'd disappeared into the thicker bush and cautiously made my way over there. I was pretty annoyed at myself for my sloppy shooting as it was 7:30pm now and the last thing I wanted to be doing was tracking a wounded deer in this steep country in the dark. I found the first drop of blood and followed it around the face for a mere 20m before I walked into the arse end of a dead stag! The shot had taken out the junction of the heart and lungs, perfect. I dragged him down to a slightly less steep spot and set about gutting him and a quick butchering session. The eye fillets, backsteaks, both back legs and the least damaged shoulder were all ferried up to the ridgeline and hung in trees for pick up in the morning. Heading back to camp the cloud clagged right in making it hard enough to navigate let alone glass. I was definitely hanging out for a feed and a sleep by the time I got back to camp.

(how I found the stag hooked up on a tree)

(Me with the young stag for the freezer)

(plenty of meat ready for the carry out)

The morning brought more claggy drizzle and low viz so a morning glass in the undisturbed right hand creek head was of the cards. I boned out the legs, threw the load on my back and set off for the truck with intentions of a quick trout fish in the way home. I decided to drop into the creek and follow the DOC track out, sounded easy in theory. A couple of hours of ducking and weaving through fallen beech trees later and I eventually reached the track for an easy walk out. As always the truck was welcome sight, the shoulders definitely appreciated dropping the pack.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Arthurs pass meat mission
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
great story but as you will have seen by now Photobucket has done the dirty on you.

IP Logged

ashfishman
Donor Member

Always ready to learn

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 1:30pm
Print Post  
Good reward for your efforts.  Well done.

IP Logged

brian
Donor Member

why tiptoe thru life only
to die safely

Reply #3 - Nov 20th, 2017 at 5:23pm
Print Post  
Good story thanks.Great feeling when you find a dead deer your not sure about. I can see the photos.

Never argue with an idiot anyone watching may not be able to tell the difference

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 8:29am
Print Post  
Can't see pics.......... shame. Sounds a good trip  Cool

One KNHNTR. Any day on the hill beats a day in the office.

IP Logged

brian
Donor Member

why tiptoe thru life only
to die safely

Reply #5 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:55am
Print Post  
I did that photobucket thing Alan's got at the top of this forum. Works great and all the photos are in the old stories.

Never argue with an idiot anyone watching may not be able to tell the difference

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Cheers Brian, I'd tried another add-on to fix the photobucket issue, but it didn't work as well.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Aren't we lucky?

Reply #7 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Well done! Good on you for leaving the older stag behind, not that I am a trophy hunter.. Smiley

Been to AP just once but complete waste of time (first bit of Cass-Lagoon), country looked really good (plenty of feed, clearings, shelter...) but there was hardly any sign. I guess some areas even when perfect don't have to hold deer... I am still learning tough...  Lips Sealed

Warm beer is worst than cold woman!

Brno ZKK 600 in .270

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 8:49pm
Print Post  
Great story and pics.  Cool

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #9 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Good hunt, pic's and report. It sure is a bit of a piss-off when you take a casual, seemingly easy shot and the animal keeps running, or gets up and takes off.   HuhRestores your confidence when you find it, reasonably close. Mental note to self.... take a bit more time/care on shot placement, next time.   Roll Eyes  Been there.... done that.  Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Nicely done - cheers for the share

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards