Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 'Pritchett' Bullets for Enfields (Read 371 times)
Varmint
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

'Pritchett' Bullets for Enfields
Nov 16th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
Anyone in New Zealand sell .550 calibre 'Pritchett' type bullets as used in the 1853 pattern Enfields?

Like this:

(Found this one off Point Chevalier)

Smooth sided, conical nose, with or without plugs.

I want to make up some military style paper cartridges for my Parker Hale two bander.

Have tons of .58 cal minie balls, but they are too big to be paper patched.

There's a few people offering them on the interweb, but quite expensive to get shipped to NZ.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Re: 'Pritchett' Bullets for Enfields
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 11:41am
Print Post  
I found this bullet in a paddock that had been ploughed up for planting  in south Taranaki , there was a small skirmish there during the land wars ( 1860's) and about 6 shots were fired , I guess this was one of them

As you can see it a Minie with grease grooves and quite a blunt nose , note the rifling grooves and the large hollow base .

I think you need a .550 bullet for a paper cartridge .
I don't know of any one making Pritchett bullets , either for themselves or for sale . You can buy moulds on line , but the problem is they may cast bullets that will not work in your rifle .

Will you be tearing off the base and loading the whole thing .?
Paper cartridges use thicker paper than paper patched bullets .
and in my experience  cartridge paper cartridges are not always totally consumed , including nitrated ones, and need a clean out between shots . My mate was loading with paper cartridges when a spark ,from the previous load ,ignited the charge , burnt his hand , fired the loading rod down range and gave everyone a fright  Roll Eyes, luckily the rifle was ok  Shocked.

If you just want to paper patch your bullets use "rag " paper , I have some you can try .

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: 'Pritchett' Bullets for Enfields
Reply #2 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
I want to make some where you tear off the top, pour the powder in, turn the cartridge over and insert the paper wrapped bullet into the muzzle and tear the excess paper off.

The bullet I picked up a few weeks ago from the site of the Kaitake Redoubt, southwest of Oakura in Taranaki was smooth sided. Where did you find yours?

The cartridges I want to make are like these ones:

https://www.papercartridges.com/pritchett-bullets.html

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards