Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A couple of muzzle loader bucks.... (Read 889 times)
UstaBZee

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

A couple of muzzle loader bucks....
Nov 2nd, 2017 at 6:59am
Print Post  
My wife and I spent most of the 9 day season hunting at our place in the Ozarks... Raye was on the hunt for a big buck. We hunted the first 4 days in shirt sleeve weather and didn't see much deer movement. We have a bumper crop of acorns and the deer don't have to move to find food... by the time the first 4 days were over I could see that Raye was getting frustrated. We had some many pics of big bucks I could understand her frustration...we took a break and went home for a couple days.

On second trip to the 40, the weather changed and got cold with some rain...the next to the last day, I was in the box stand about 100yds from our camp well before daylight. About 7:30am an 8pt came down the trail and gave me a broadside shot at about 70 yds. Easy I thought...at the shot he ran, limping about 30 yds and then started walking up the hill to the stand. I was waiting for him to tip over, he didn't! Pretty soon I realized I had muffed a really easy shot, and I was scurrying to get the smokepole reloaded....then I couldn't find my capper! I searched all the 15 pockets I had on and still couldn't find it... By this time the deer was just standing about 40 yds from the stand and I knew he wouldn't stay there much longer. Finally, I found my capper in my pants pocket, in my jeans, under my coveralls...it was 24 degrees and I didn't think to move my capper when I put my insulated bibs on! Anyway, got the rifle primed and shot the deer again...this time there was no doubt and I heard him crash as he went out of sight running toward our camp....

Raye was hunting out of the porch window at camp...and never saw a deer...  We got the dog and let her blood trail the buck, then used the tractor to get it back to camp....

It was one of the smaller 8pts we had been watching, but he was big enough for me to put in the freezer and I have lots more time to hunt...

Raye was kind of disgusted with her hunting, but I told her she was trying too hard and it was supposed to be fun!  She left camp for the evening sit with a little different attitude.  About 4pm, I got a text saying that she had shot a 6pt and she heard him crash after he ran....  It was time to fire up the tractor again...

We had no trouble finding her deer...he was spraying blood from both sides and only ran about 40yds up the hill and died. She had made a perfect shot completely wrecking his pumphouse!  When we got to the deer she was surprised to find it was an 8pt...a small one we had not seen before!  She was thrilled to find those extra points....she finally had an 8pt!

The deer had jumped the fence from the neighbors and crossed right in front of her stand...he was on the move and as he moved away down the trail she tried to stop him by grunting at him and he ignored her....finally at about 75yds he turn almost broadside and she shot him...bullet entered right in front of the last rib and exited right behind the off leg....perfect quartering away shot!  Neat and clean shooting.... unlike my early morning performance!

It was all fun and now we have some fresh meat in the freezer...we each have a buck tag left for a big buck and rifle season opens in a week or so...

Zee

IP Logged

264Magic
Forum Font

Re: A couple of muzzle loader bucks....
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
nice one,, (i went hunting two days ago without the knife)

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Ahhhh...I feel better now!! Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Your hunting is very different to ours - and your deer are prettier. I got some on Stewart Island and tanned the skins. Thirty years later I got sick of tripping over the damned things and turfed them at our local dump on the way to work.
Arriving home after work I was met by an excited neighbour who told me I wouldn't believe what some idiots throw away - and there were my ex deer skins.

Would be interested to know more about your shooters - I like BP guns.
I'm also jealous of your pockets, I'm very much a pocket person as well. Used to wear a suit jacket hunting just because of the pockets - but that was a while back.

264Magic wrote on Nov 2nd, 2017 at 12:22pm:
nice one,, (i went hunting two days ago without the knife)

Did that a few days ago with my son - we were after rabbits and had got up the hill when I realised the knife wasn't in my pocket.
"We're gonna have to miss son, the knife's at home."
And we did - successfully missed every rabbit we fired at.

I think my best was taking my .303 bolt and my Mauser rifle - and I only found out after a two and a half hour drive.
I still spent the day hunting with that empty rifle, but drew the line at spending the night out - even though I'd carried my fly and all the gear.

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #4 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 1:27pm
Print Post  
SF90... I got a chuckle out of your post  Grin!  Maybe it's just us older guys that forget where we put stuff and leave important bits behind!  I make lists all the time but still manage to forget stuff!

As far as the BP shooters, we have a couple in-lines both 50 cal.
My wife shoots a CVA using 3 50gr pellets of pyrodex with a sabot and a 250gr shockwave bullet.  I have a Remington Genesis, and I shoot 3 pellets as well, but with 245gr power belt bullets.  Both set ups kill deer but I actually like my wife's rifle better than mine!

We have more deer hunting to do..the rifle season opens here a week from tomorrow.  Our Alaskan friends are coming down to hunt.  Should be interesting...

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Nov 4th, 2017 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
Cheers UstaBZee.

I think what I started off to say was I in your situation there'd be some swearing and panic happening - and I'm sure there was some of that going on.
Closest I came to that was with a caplock that refused to fire on an easy deer that just stood and looked. It was wet and while I thought I'd protected the lock fairly well, the cap compound had turned to goo and plugged the nipple. I discovered swear words I didn't even know I knew over that episode.

I don't know if I've ever seen an 'inline' - just in pictures I think.
I have read Doc White from over your way, both his hunting experiences with traditional guns and his inline rifle and bullet designs, I think your 'Powerbelt's' might be one of his - very interesting man.
I do know about BP substitutes, Pyrodex and 777 (I think) both loose and in pellet form and from what I've read they give superior performance to standard recipe BP - especially the latter.
I did get a little pottle of Pyrodex given to me a long time ago but never tried it.

And you are right with lists. I never used to bother with them, I always kept my pack loaded and a quick look would tell me what I needed, but now I've got older I have one for every occasion - and stuff still gets left behind.
And that applies a whole bunch more when you take your front stuffer.

Good luck with next week - hope it goes well for you.

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 11:47am
Print Post  
SF90...yep that capper was getting a good cussing while I was trying to find it!  Of course I should have been cussing myself!!

I used to hunt with T/C Hawkins in 45 and 50 cal.  Got tried of carrying them and they are unhandy in a deer stand not to mention dealing with percussion caps (yeah I dealt with caps turning to goo!).  The rifles we have use 209 shotgun primers for ignition...never had goo issues yet either.

I have actually been thinking about getting a muzzle loader barrel for my encore frame... Hope I quit thinking about it before I go ahead and spend the money...ain't like I really need it.   Tongue

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
And - this is how you live and learn - I really have to look at one of those guns one day.
And - I doubt there's a person on this forum doesn't have stuff they don't need - and I'm no exception.
I have three youngsters at home, the oldest eighteen, so that keeps the lid on my spending - and a good thing too - I think.

My sixteen year old is the next hunter in this family - and he keeps me at it - "C'mon dad, nearly at the top."
It's rabbits with the .22 at the moment, just up the hill behind my place - but that hill goes for a way and it's been a good few years since I enjoyed that walk, but it's something I have to do to retain any sort of fitness.
Our next bush trip is not far off - after his school exams and that will be with BP, either a .577" Snider or Enfield - both quite light and handy. We just take the one gun.
Have burnt a lot of powder getting those shooting - and am still playing with one, but getting close to where I want it.
Thirty yards is a long shot in our patch, we usually hear them before we see them - or my son does.

Cheers - good talking to you.

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #8 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 6:22am
Print Post  
Good luck on your upcoming hunting trip SF90!  As they say in Arkansas shoot a big 'un!!  Grin Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Nov 6th, 2017 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Yeah well - if we stay true to form we'll be lucky to get anything, but there's always the chance which makes it interesting.

Thanks UstaBZee - we will be going into a place I got onto a stag last year, more for a look than anything - am looking forward to it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards