Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Doc needs to put up the evidence (Read 5383 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Doc needs to put up the evidence
Oct 31st, 2017 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Press Release.
NZ Outdoors party
31/10/2017
The Department of Conservation's claim of 50 illegal Sika Deer being released in the North Taranaki is part of an ongoing attack on those who oppose the use of 1080, said Alan Simmons co-leader of the NZ Outdoors Party.
Alan who wrote the first book on Sika Deer hunting in 1986 (How To Hunt Sika Deer) said It was well known by the mid 1980's that Sika deer were already established in several parts of the country including the Southern Waikato / King Country and natural dispersion could account for the current sightings.
Sika deer are rarely farmed in NZ and notoriously difficult to hold in a deer farm situation, let alone transport in such numbers for release as claimed by DOC.
Mr Simmons said that DOC have been trying to exterminate deer from the North Taranaki Forests for nearly 30 years and shot several hundred deer in that region in the late 1990's.
The use of such emotive words as "eco terrorists" are designed to discredit those who oppose the use of 1080 and hunters. These sort of comments only drive DOC and the hunting community further apart. said Alan Simmons.
" if Doc have shot six of these deer then lets see the evidence such as photos especially of the ears to show whether these deer have ever been farmed or are in fact even Sika deer. The NZ Outdoors Party is demanding DOC put up the evidence to back up their insinuation that "eco terrorist" have released these deer.
The Director General of DOC needs to front up with the evidence now said Alan Simmons.
Ends
Alan Simmons
Co-Leader. NZ Outdoors Party

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Doc needs to put up the evidence
Reply #1 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
True. Talk is easy.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

EC
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
The DOC's so called credibility  has long gone from around these parts.
If this latest event turns out ti be bullshit then they have really hung themselves out,but hey they are great spinners,time will tell.

Wrinkles are the map of your soulful journey,,,you'd be lost without them,,

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Considering that the penalty for liberating deer is up to 2 years jail or $100k fine I expect that DOC and the police are taking this seriously. They would be foolish to publish what ever evidence they have because it might compromise any future court case.

The fact that liberations of Sika have previously occurred in the broader area in the past doesn't seem relevant to me - if in this instance they do have a letter threatening to liberate (as they say) and they have proof of a liberation why wouldn't/ shouldn't they enforce the Wild Animal Control Act and prosecute?

Equally, DOC would be unlikely to lie about the nature of the threat if they intend to prosecute because the letter is likely to be legally discovered and its contents known eventually.

If there has been a recent liberation on the back of a threat letter the perpetrators are just so dumb at so many levels.

If none of this is true, then its DOC who are dumb at so many levels.

I expect though that where there is smoke there is fire (excuse the historical pun Alan).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 31st, 2017 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
They claim they have shot 6 of them. Well are they ex farm deer or wild deer?... show us the ears as they will have holes in them if they have been farmed.... even so its a huge operation to round up 50 farmed sika deer and truck them and release them without anyone knowing.. we are talking about Sika deer here... No one is happy about the illegal release of deer however I really think there is some bullshit somewhere in this. Either the deer have been misidentified, the letter  is bullshit, or this is a big windup...  if you went to all the trouble to pull this off and then write a letter telling doc... you would have to be mad.... again if they  have shot 6 then show us.... simple...

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
IP Logged

Homer
Forum Font

Life's Short, Shoot Fast!!!

Reply #5 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 12:23pm
Print Post  
G'Day Fella's,

+1 Headcase, Talk Is Cheap. Show us the evidence.
Personally, you wouldn't be able to believe anything DoC said, or showed you on this issue.

What I can't work out is, if DoC believes 1080 is the best method to control Deer, why did they just go and SHOOT 6 of them?

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!!!

IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Homer wrote on Nov 1st, 2017 at 12:23pm:
G'Day Fella's,

+1 Headcase, Talk Is Cheap. Show us the evidence.
Personally, you wouldn't be able to believe anything DoC said, or showed you on this issue.

What I can't work out is, if DoC believes 1080 is the best method to control Deer, why did they just go and SHOOT 6 of them?

Doh!
Homer

DOC might well believe that 1080 could be used as a primary control tool for deer, but none of their operations are targeted that way and even historically there have been very few instances when deer were the primary target.

As much as people don't want to believe it deer are a bi-kill, not a primary target. If they were a primary target and the application was adjusted accordingly the deer would be totally decimated.

I don't believe that DOC are likely to purposefully target deer with 1080 in the current anti 1080 climate, but I'm sure they are pretty damned happy about the current bi-kill.

It will be very interesting to see how the deer population holds up after the northern Ruahine 1080 drop, and when we know the results I invite you to compare that with what might have happened if deer had been the primary target.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Im sure if deer were the primary target one could kill 95% of the targeted areas population in one night, or two at the most.

However the topic is, where are the shot deer, where is the evidence they were released, who are these eco terrorists, and why would they choose to use such a diffucult eco terrorism tool such as Sika to achieve their nefarious objectives.

This is prime conspiracy theory country, and this time round Doc are sounding a little paranoid.  Cheesy

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Nov 1st, 2017 at 4:10pm:
Im sure if deer were the primary target one could kill 95% of the targeted areas population in one night, or two at the most.

However the topic is, where are the shot deer, where is the evidence they were released, who are these eco terrorists, and why would they choose to use such a diffucult eco terrorism tool such as Sika to achieve their nefarious objectives.

This is prime conspiracy theory country, and this time round Doc are sounding a little paranoid.  Cheesy

This is the politics section. Accordingly I can distract and deflect. That goes with politics.

As to your questions, I can't answer them but it seems that there is no shortage of people on here who think they can.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
They once shipped sika to the Haka Valley in South Canterbury. Its not hard to believe someone could get some to Taranaki.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 6:52pm
Print Post  
I dont think they ever shot all of them. We see them regularly up the top end of the Haka while shooting wallabys.  Smiley

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 7:36pm
Print Post  
BC romour has it they HAVE used 1080 to target deer before...and payed local people to find and remove carcasses too if stories are to be believed
Stewart Island about 20 years ago,painted poison on bent over broadleaf was method of application so Im told.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Nov 1st, 2017 at 6:52pm:
I dont think they ever shot all of them. We see them regularly up the top end of the Haka while shooting wallabys.  Smiley

Sika?

Herbs before herbivores

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Nov 1st, 2017 at 7:36pm:
BC romour has it they HAVE used 1080 to target deer before...and payed local people to find and remove carcasses too if stories are to be believed
Stewart Island about 20 years ago,painted poison on bent over broadleaf was method of application so Im told.

That's no secret - its even been published for all to see (page 11): http://www.doc.govt.nz/Documents/science-and-technical/sfc204.pdf

Herbs before herbivores

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 8:52pm
Print Post  
Yes I spent part of a winter back in the mid 1970's smearing 1080 gel on broadleaf leaves.

We used to go back a few weeks later to assess the results (veg eaten and smell). As I remember it was pretty effective.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards