Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Cannon SX50 vs SX60 (Read 890 times)
stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Cannon SX50 vs SX60
Oct 28th, 2017 at 6:38pm
Print Post  
Is the cannon SX60 worth the extra price for another 10x zoom? Or is the SX50 a good option being a pinch smaller and lighter? I was set on the SX60 but then saw the SX50 in the store for a bit cheaper and a slightly smaller unit.

Cheers.

Sako-Tikka-Howa-Lee Enfield-Franchi-Vortex-Leupold-Black Labrador
YouTube  
IP Logged

Grunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Cannon SX50 vs SX60
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 7:53pm
Print Post  
How much is the price difference?

The sx60 actually has an extra 15x zoom, but there is a catch with that.

The sx60 has a lower focal length than the sx50.

The sx50 has a zoom range from 24mm to 1200mm.  24 x 50 = 1200

The sx60 has a zoom range from 21mm to 1365mm.  21x 65 = 1365

If the sx60 started with a minimum focal length the same as sx50, 24mm, the zoom range would only represent approx 56 x.

It does have 65x, but starting at a lower base, you aren't getting as much extra top end magnification as you might think.

Saying that, I have the SX60 and am very happy with it and would buy it again.  Is the SX50 still available new?  I thought it had been discontinued years ago.

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #2 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 8:14pm
Print Post  
Interesting alright. I was just in Noel Leeming having a look and saw the two side by side. The SX60 was $750 and the SX50 was about $500 i think.

YouTube  
IP Logged

Grunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
stagstalker wrote on Oct 28th, 2017 at 8:14pm:
Interesting alright. I was just in Noel Leeming having a look and saw the two side by side. The SX60 was $750 and the SX50 was about $500 i think.

Wow I got mine for $450 3 or 4 years ago.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #4 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
The "Little brown shadow" has both of these Canon cameras, and does most of our videoing with the upgraded SX60 now. I hardly ever carry one of my Sony video cams now, as she can take watchable videos of deer/pigs out to 1200 mtrs, verified distance with the Ultravids.
Check out "Pricespy nz".... SX60 is listed by reputable traders, like PB Technologies for around $550 to $580,check out PB's website, full details of cam there. It pays to do your homework and shop-around. I think you would be happy with the SX60, we certainly are.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Mad_Fisho
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
I just picked up the SX60 for $469 at noel leemings, was on sale last week... It's certainly bulkier than my mates SX540 but I like it, hopefully like it just as much when I'm carting it through the bush and around the hills  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 1:24pm
Print Post  
Anyone have a video thingy mounted to their rifles? I often think that having some footage of the stalk and shot would be neat, but rarely do I have time in the scrub to do both things.

Suggestions warmly received.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 10:01am
Print Post  
son made up monopod for his..... well he found that the crappy old brass finished bolts from bbq fitted thread.... I looked at the big flat end with allen key slot in it and headed out to garage and rummaged through my bits n bobs... found old alloy tent pole from my 80s vintage pup tent and walah the botl fitted neatly into fat end so I horify crimped it into place using vice so he now has 18" long mono pod with spike on bottom (the bit that went up through tent roof ring) and thread on top.
as said in another thread Iceman...the issue I have with rifle mounted cameras is when guys video walking along a walking track...rifle pointed in front.....not really a safe direction if you just happen to be coming the other way.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Earth?

Reply #8 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Very hard to do both, shoot and video at the same time, in my experience, although easier now some cams have much better image stabilization.  I toyed with the idea of making a a head mount for a cam. many years ago, long before Gopro cams came on the scene. Our better footage has been  with, one person shooting and a second concentrating on videoing, harder to achieve in the bush, piece of piss, in open, or semi-open hunting locations.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Earth?

Reply #9 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Heads up, Canon SX60 now on special at PB Technologies $579 - $100 cashback =$479 cost.  Smiley

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 10:26pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Nov 5th, 2017 at 10:01am:
son made up monopod for his..... well he found that the crappy old brass finished bolts from bbq fitted thread.... I looked at the big flat end with allen key slot in it and headed out to garage and rummaged through my bits n bobs... found old alloy tent pole from my 80s vintage pup tent and walah the botl fitted neatly into fat end so I horify crimped it into place using vice so he now has 18" long mono pod with spike on bottom (the bit that went up through tent roof ring) and thread on top.
as said in another thread Iceman...the issue I have with rifle mounted cameras is when guys video walking along a walking track...rifle pointed in front.....not really a safe direction if you just happen to be coming the other way.

Yea understand that MD, No tracks where I want to use one, maybe just get one of those  Hero Go Pro thingies and strap it on my head is the best, but I can see me heaving it into the scrub after the 3rd or maybe 4th time it gets ripped off by Lawyer.

IP Logged

stagstalker
Donor Member

Work to go Hunting

Reply #11 - yesterday at 5:26pm
Print Post  
My wife just came home with an SX60 for my early Christmas present. Stoked!

YouTube  
IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Earth?

Reply #12 - yesterday at 10:34pm
Print Post  
Lucky you, good lady, what's it going to cost you for Xmas?  Grin
Don't forget to buy a couple of extra batteries, from ...jerryscience on Tardme $10 each, also extra battery chargers for $6 and $9. Our ones from jerry work fine, enjoy your new pic's and videoing.  Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards