Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pigeon shoot over decoys. (Read 945 times)
HowieNZ

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Pigeon shoot over decoys.
Oct 26th, 2017 at 7:17am
Print Post  
This a link to short video from last summer of shooting feral pigeons being decoyed into a paddock, they feed on grain left over from feed meant for dairy cows. the shooting is challenging and a fun way to spend a few hours.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTpl5jA6g7w&t=46s

IP Logged

HowieNZ

Re: Pigeon shoot over decoys.
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
A new video from a shoot last week. We really shot badly however a good morning out. Of the 17 birds shot and recovered 15 were males, I found out that when the birds are nesting the males fly until around 11 am then spell the female birds on the nest for the afternoon, so if we had shot the afternoon the female birds would have predominated.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drCQZcKi2kg

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
they can be hard little buggers to kill, I started using trap 7.5 loads and found it only worked on under 30 m shots . now I use 5s and my kill rate has gone up , even out to 50 /60 m

IP Logged

HowieNZ

Reply #3 - Nov 2nd, 2017 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Yes I agree, not that it really helped my bad shooting, I had 7.5s in the first barrel and 5s in the second barrel.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #4 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 8:15am
Print Post  
I exclusively use 7.5 trap ammo.  The main deciding factor is that it's cheaper than game loads.  You might be loosing a bit of range but you have better killing power at close range and I only shoot when the birds are over the deeks doing that fluttering thing they do when landing.

Pigeon shooting is great fun so thanks for sharing.  I use two dozen soar no more full body deeks and two mallard spinners.  The deeks weren't cheap but they were worth every cent I paid for them.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #5 - Nov 3rd, 2017 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
we pretty much did the same until recently, had a friend over from USA. he suggested a different approach. set up your blind, instead of spreading your decoys out as usual.  Place a small pile of cracked maize ( about 2kg ) in a circle about 1 meter wide . Place 80% of your decoys in or around the maize and the rest all within 10 meters. your spinners can be placed further out . It simulates a flock having found and now feeding . Man do they home in on this . we got 65 one day and 80 the next time out

IP Logged

HowieNZ

Reply #6 - Nov 5th, 2017 at 7:48am
Print Post  
Our favoured decoy setup is as per the video, a larger oblong spread with two spinners and one smaller spread about 5 metres away with one spinner, we have most of the decoys head down feeding with a couple head up on the outside and most of the decoys facing into the wind.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards