Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Holy Smoke Black Powder (Read 670 times)
Tasbay

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Holy Smoke Black Powder
Oct 24th, 2017 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
Any one used this powder and how did you find it compared to say Goex or Elephant ?
Have been having a hell of a time trying to get my .58 CVA to group well with home made powder, but 120gr of FFg Goex and it shoots about 1.5 inch at 50mts. Its a bugger as the other front stuffers I have all group to about 1.5 - 2 inch with homemade powder and at $1.80 a kilo the homemade stuff is quite attractive.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Re: Holy Smoke Black Powder
Reply #1 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Would have thought someone would have pitched in by now - and sorry, I can't help you - never used it.
But - I was talking to a bloke down the range not so long ago who was, and he was doing okay - rated it as better than Goex.
That was him talking - not me, but he was shooting 1.5" at fifty yards with his .50 cal while I was struggling to keep them inside 3" with my short .58 Enfield and homemade powder.
What bullets are you shooting - minie or solid base ?

IP Logged

Tasbay

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 8:55am
Print Post  
SF90. I`m shooting round ball, the .58 CVA Mountain Rifle has a 1-66 twist rate so she`s a round ball gun. My corned homemade powder just isn`t pushing the ball hard enough to stabilise the ball properly, which is interesting as my Zouave has the same twist rate and shoots hole in hole with a Ball and home made powder. I understand the Mountain rifles like the balls pushed hard. Had the Pedersoli Kentucky out yesterday ,its a 50 cal 1-48 twist and was shooting 3-4 inch at fifty freehand with homemade....... its a flinchlock and I was!!! Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Ha - should have picked that up with your powder charge.
I don't shoot ball much as they can be a bugger to load when I'm out hunting - I prefer a paper patched minie or solid base as I can get them down the barrel pretty quick should I need a follow up shot.
My .54 has a 1:66" barrel and shoots a PP'd Lyman minie over 80grs 2F Goex pretty well out to 75yds. It does better with the ball over 110-120grs and I can get 3" groups at 100 - but for me, it's all about ease of loading out there in the bush.
I also hollow point them in the lathe.
I don't think I've tried homemade in that - I've mostly been playing with that in my .58's - and again with PP'd bullets.
Once again they do better with a ball and I suppose I really should just stick with them. From all accounts they're very effective on game - it's just that I can't remember if I've ever shot anything with one or not.
My short Enfield has a 1:72" twist and that shoots ball with almost any charge of powder - probably the most unfussy gun I have.

I do remember from somewhere that with a slow twist ball shooter you generally need hefty charges of powder for accuracy - and I do know my .54 wouldn't shoot a ball worth a damn with anything less than 90grs 2F Goex.

I also remember a non compressed powder (pulverone) is a faster powder than my compressed and I'm a little surprised that your Mountain rifle won't shoot while your Zouave will.
But then again I shouldn't be - they're all pretty individual with what they like.

IP Logged

hawken 50

Reply #4 - Nov 11th, 2017 at 5:56am
Print Post  
Hey all. We've tried them all over the years at our Club. Goex,Elephant,Curtiss&Harvey,Swiss,Sheutzen. We always found Swiss the cleanest & the best velocities. But I can assure you the Holy Smoke (NZ Made) is as good if not better than them all. After a bit of experimenting they have got the recipe bang on. It is cleaner burning than all of them except perhaps Swiss but the difference is marginal. Velocity wise it is right up there. The added bonus is being made in NZ supply is no prob and it is half/2/3rds the price of the imported powders depending on supplier/bulk buying. Also with the imported powders new and ongoing regulations will ensure the price goes up continually. So my opinion is buy Holy Smoke to ensure supply. Below is the info where our Club buys.>Sporting Black Powder...
New Pricing from 27 July 2015:
Holy Smoke Gunpowder: Grades available Cannon, Fg, FFg, FFFg & FFFFg.
Size 1 kg. Price $120.00 per kg for orders 1-4kg. Price $110.00 per kg for 5kg or more.
Schuetzen Black Powder: Made in Germany. Grades available FFg & FFFg.
Size 1 lb. Price $60.00 per lb for orders 1-9lb. Price $57.50 per lb for 10lb or more.
Swiss Black Powder: Made in Switzerland. Grades available 1 1/2Fg, FFg & FFFg. Size 1 lb. Price $80.00 per lb for orders 1-9lb. Price $75.00 per lb for 10lb or more.
pyroworks@pyroworks.co.nz

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 7:47am
Print Post  
I haven't used Holy Smoke or Schuetzen powder , but I believe the HS is good stuff .
The swiss powder is rifle powder as opposed to shotgun/musket powder ,it is faster burning than any of the others and cleaner burning with softer fouling . Any  developed load of Goex can be reduced by 20%  if Swiss powder is substituted .
So if you were loading 100gr of HS at $54 a pound (70 loads ) that works out at about 77 cents a shot . If you use Swiss at $75 /pound and 80 grains /shot (87.5 loads) that is about 85 cents a shot , considering the increases in accuracy and velocity that isn't too bad a deal .
But always remember  the Swiss powder is a high pressure powder and care should be used in substituting loads
I use FFFG powder in all my rifles , regardless of caliber 40-54 , and use Swiss when I can get it . My most accurate loads in various .58 Parker Hales always used reduced charges of Goex FFFG  and a modified Lyman bullet using a cut down base plug , giving a "frying pan" base , and the mould with another groove cut in it  .As well as lubing the bullet  I always filled the base with lube . I had one 3 Band PH with a slow twist and have an adjustable length brass mould made in Ausie for it . I am affected by casting bullets so I now only own and shoot swaged round balls .
will have a look in my mould drawer and see if I have any .58 PH moulds left .
I owned a .58 CVA as my second ML rifle , I used about 80gr of Goex FFG and it was a very accurate 100m rifle .

Have a look at http://www.blackpowder.ch/powder/shooting-powder
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2017 at 3:03pm by Flintlock »  

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

wanganuikid
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Nov 13th, 2017 at 8:26pm
Print Post  
I agree, I also only use Swiss as I figure its still the cheapest part of the equation.
Holy smoke Im told Martin has got it pretty close and Ill certainly try it if I cannot get Swiss.
I too use reduced loads of FFFG (40 grains actually) and a modified lyman mould (frying pan,good description)for a Parker hale three bander.Won the nationals year before last with it and it was only the second time id fired it!
I don't lube the base but hand lube on the firing line using "ALS" secret recipe, keeps the fouling consistent.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards