Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic New issue NZ Army Bivy Bags (Read 1385 times)
Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

New issue NZ Army Bivy Bags
Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Hey just wanting to know what sort of experiences people have had with these compared to the earlier heavier reflex mode?l, the new ones are made in China. Seems to be a few coming up for sale. Olive green colour not dpm. The top is goretex and the bottom is a heavier type of material, weighs about 850-900gms.

Every hunt is successful, pulling the trigger is a bonus;)

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Re: New issue NZ Army Bivy Bags
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 8:14am
Print Post  
The old ones were good, the DF have standards to met so would have thought the new ones would be similar spec.

800-900 is hugely heavy though, are they cheap? Macpac to a 4 season bag with event, on special for $239 sometimes.   Elite at that price.

Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:43am
Print Post  
The Defence Forces clothing standards come well behind what the Chief Financial Officer has to say;). Just saying.
The budget rules everything, except for the Special Forces equipment. And even then they have an uphill battle getting the bean counters to understand why  high quality equipment is a necessity.
On the odd occasion really good clothing has been purchased: Case in point: Goretex wet weathers for the Bosnia deployment. Then a one-off purchase of Swazi wet weathers again for the initial Afghan deployment in 2003 (when standard Army wet weathers were again crap). Then Bivvie bags and wet weathers again in 2007/8ish, made by Swazi. (after they complained bitterly about being made to use up the last of the kilometers of Reflex material the NZDF had purchased. Most of which was crap and delaminated in quick order.

The one sided bivvie bags just get you wet when you roll over during the night, and have the impermeable side uppermost. They made them like that to save money. Same old story.

You're better off to buy new or good condition Ex Brit Army bivvie bags or parkas.  Always made of good quality GoreTex.

IP Logged

Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Hmm are you talking about the NZDF bags or civi ones? How do you mean when you roll over you get wet? From what I gather the lighter material on top was to save weight not cost as the top material is branded Goretex, the bottom material looks like heavier Goretex material but not labeled as such. I have a brand new current issue British one but it doesn't have a bug net, performs well thought and no zips to worry about

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Any bivvie bag that uses a mix of impermeable on the bottom and breathable on top has the potential to make you wet  if you are a restless bugger like me and roll over in the night. Then you have the equivalent of a plastic bag on top of you, and your bag gets wet from your perspiration not being able to get out (as it rises to the top).  I had one like that, but I moved it on quick when I found out what happened when I slept in it.
If both layers are Gortex, then all good.
I still have my Brit goretex bag from when I was with them in the early 90's, and it still works primo. No zips to fail. and generous around the top. But yep, a bug screen would be useful in some locations.

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #5 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 8:26am
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Oct 25th, 2017 at 7:04am:
Any bivvie bag that uses a mix of impermeable on the bottom and breathable on top has the potential to make you wet  if you are a restless bugger like me and roll over in the night. Then you have the equivalent of a plastic bag on top of you, and your bag gets wet from your perspiration not being able to get out (as it rises to the top).  I had one like that, but I moved it on quick when I found out what happened when I slept in it.
I still have my Brit goretex bag from when I was with them in the early 90's, and it still works primo. No zips to fail. and generous around the top. But yep, a bug screen would be useful in some locations.

Could be worse I know a bloke you shit himself after some questionable food on patrol.  Still had a few days to go as well ha ha ha ha.

Cheers, Dan

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Sika 9
Donor Member

Onwards and upwards

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2017 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Oct 25th, 2017 at 7:04am:

Yea thats my point, Im not saying the bottom is impermeable, It looks like goretex but not branded as such and is heavier. Just wondering if its another type of waterproof breathable fabric, I guess if the military swapped they did it for a good reason, just keen on weather the Chinese made stuff is as good quality as when it was made in NZ

IP Logged

SakoLove
Donor Member

Sako Vixen .222, Tikka
T3 .308

Reply #7 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
if you're referring to the current issue bags, they aren't bad? Ive been lucky in that the few times I've been in the field including basic training I haven't gotten overly wet, so the bag hasn't had a heck of a thrashing in that regard, but from the times I've been rained on in it I've remained dry.

IP Logged

Jake77
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Nov 21st, 2017 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Looking to pick up a bivvy bag - aside from army surplus or TM any other sources that are worth checking out?

IP Logged

Cowboy06

Allways a good day when
shootn guns

Reply #9 - Nov 29th, 2017 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
My experience has been with a British gortex one. Never got wet inside from outside rain or from condensation. Always dry in the morning. They are a little heavier and bulkier than a light some of these lightweight type materials but I think they breath better and are a lot heavier duty.
I also have one made by r&r and is gortex made for the nz defense. Only used once so far and was dry inside.

IP Logged

Bluft

Reply #10 - Dec 2nd, 2017 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Yes I have 2 of the olive bags. Gortex . Approx 850 grams. They are friggen awesome. Sleep some fully wet nights and stayed nice and dry and keeps you gear clean. Purchased a spare one when one come up a while ago. Ones second hand. Ones brand new unused. Have an older dpm one too and it's going as strong as when I got it about 7yrs ago so thinking I may not need all of them. Txt me if your keen. 0273100185

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards