Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Jed (Read 538 times)
meathunter72
Donor Member

Jed
Oct 22nd, 2017 at 8:45pm
Print Post  
Back in July my mate asked me if I wanted a dog. They had sold their rental property and the tenants were not able to take him to their new place. I'd been keen on getting a dog for a while but I was after a heading dog. Jed was a Black Lab Huntaway cross. I'd seen him a few times and he'd always seemed really obedient and steady. He wasn't a pup he's 2 coming up 3 and I thought it might be a bit of a risk taking him. We also have 3 cats and I was a bit apprehensive he might eat one. A stray pig dog I rescued from Whirinaki did just that a few years back.  Sad
Anyway I felt a bit sorry for Jed and he hadn't had a great life up to now in terms of attention and exercise so we decided to take him in.
He has fitted in pretty well. Not cats have been eaten and he gets walked twice a day in the morning and after work.
I have wondered if he might be OK for hunting so I've tried to teach him a stop command.
This weekend I decided to take him with me down to Clements Road to see how he goes.
He went OK for a first time in the bush. He was a bit excited at times and tended to go ahead a bit too far.
He managed to get himself a bit lost a few times but mangaged to find me. I tried not to call out (I could hear him looking for me) as I wanted to teach him a lesson.
I had to give him a few growlings but over the course of the day he was keeping much closer and looking back to see where I was.  Smiley I had to remind myself that this was his first time in the bush so theres a huge amount for him to lean.
Later in the afternoon a hind burst in front of me. Jed was off to my left and I wasnt sure if he'd seen it. I called him in and went down to where I saw the hind to see if he would pick up here scent. We were walking down when he stopped dead still. Great I thought, hes picked up he scent. Except that it wasnt her scent, it was her yearling. I saw them both but before I could take a shot the yearling bolted. Jed ran after a short distance, but I was able to call him back. Fortunately the bush was quite open and the yearling came into veiw about 50 metres away below me. I lined it up and dropped it. Yee Haa first deer for me and Jed. We got down there and I made a big fuss out of him.It was a small deer, but least he now knows what we are after.

Later in the day we got onto another one but Jed got a little too excited.
Today we went out for another hunt. We saw another deer but missed out on that one. Jed was a lot better today compared with yesterday so hopefully if I can get out with him every couple of weeks he'll figure out what I want him to do.
Cheers for reading and I'll keep you updated on his progress.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

trusty222
Donor Member

"HOT BARRELS AND SAGGING
TAIL LINES"

Re: Jed
Reply #1 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
Bloody ripper meathunter!, living up to your name right there Smiley topnstuff Jed!!

Hot barrels

DOG TRAINING "GET IT RIGHT THE 1ST TIME & TRAIN FOR SUCCESS"
WWW.BCL.KIWI
IP Logged

BC
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
Thats great!

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
fantastic.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
A dog that looks strikingly similar to Jed has popped up for adoption, his name is Jet. Did Jed have a brother with him?

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:35pm
Print Post  
No. Not where he was from. Could well have a brother though.

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
Glad Jed is working out, love having a dog in the bush. 1st deer of many with Jed hopefully.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
great stuff,keep up the firm training and enjoy having a mate in the bush with you,make sure its Jeds "job" to lead you to EVERY deer no matter how close or far away it is or if its in plain sight.....make it a game that you cant see it till dog takes you to it....one day it will pay off when you genuinely cant find one.

IP Logged

DeadRed
Just Joined

Decent shot, terrible
hunter

Reply #8 - Nov 9th, 2017 at 12:18am
Print Post  
Bloody good!

Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm - Winston Churchill
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards