Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Jed (Read 8212 times)
meathunter72
Donor Member

Re: Jed
Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2019 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Bit of an update on Jed. He's starting to get the hang of it.
We got a nice stag over the Roar

Jed was a bit unsure with a big stag coming in. He was growling a bit. But luckily the stag didnt notice.

A couple of weeks ago we got onto some pigs. Again Jed hasnt encountered pigs before. The first one we found he started growling. Then he barked and the pig ran off.  Sad Sad
Luckily we carried on and got onto some more. I saw them first and called Jed in. And managed to shoot the pig. It was only small but a good eating size. My boy Olliver was there too so it was a good day.
Last weekend I went out with me and jed. He has a habit of going too far when he has a nose full of scent. I had to give him a growling a few times. After the the last growling we came over the side of a little ridge and 4 deer ran off. They were alert to us and I think they heard me telling Jed off.  f**k Sad Sad
Jed tracked them accross a small creek and stopped in fron of a patch of thick lawyer and wineberry. I didnt think anything of it but two of those deer were in there. Too late and they bolted again. Double f**k. !!
That was our opportunity for the day. I felt like he is getting better though.
Today I managed to get another leave pass for the day and headed to the same general area. It was pretty unevent ful. We found a failry fresh carcasses of a deer someone had shot in the last fortnight or so. I headed over to another area hoping that it was a bit less disturbed. We got onto a bit of sign and Jed started to stray a bit too far in front. I  gave him a growling (a lot more quietly this time Grin) and kept him in closer. Shortly after,  Jed stopped and was looking at something on the other side of a large tree. I dont know why but I knew he was looking at a deer. Sure enough it was a spiker. I slipped off the safety and whacked him in the shoulder. Result!!

think he is definately getting the hang of it now. Next stop Sika

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Jed
Reply #16 - Jun 17th, 2019 at 8:51am
Print Post  
Good result the last one..  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards