Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ford Ranger Predator Edition (Read 1644 times)
tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Re: Ford Ranger Predator Edition
Reply #15 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
Old School wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:10pm:
Had plans of trading my 08 Landcruiser V8 on a Ranger or Shagger. Mate is a supervisor for Wairakei Pastoral at Taupo where they have a big fleet of both models. He showed me a folder of invoices for repair work on both the Ranger and Shaggers . Hell the file was about 8 inches thick in invoices ,.
Thought f**k that , will keep the Cruiser..

it depends a bit on whats gone wrong.

one of the big problems with light utes is people don't drive them lightly.
wrong vehicle for the use they get. if your doing heavy work then get the cruiser. but if your kinder on it, then lighter utes will do the same job for less.

the other thing to consider is price. mates just bought a 2nd hand cruiser, cost more than what a brand new top spec ranger does.
you can buy two light utes for the price of a landcruiser, possible 3 with the cheaper brands.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #16 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:48am
Print Post  
And the Cruiser will still be stonking along, long after  the two-three  lightweight utes have broken down and/or cost way too much to keep on the road. Its always a toss up what you need for the task at hand. Cheap is generally cheap for a reason.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #17 - Oct 24th, 2017 at 1:10pm
Print Post  
Old School wrote on Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:10pm:
Had plans of trading my 08 Landcruiser V8 on a Ranger or Shagger. Mate is a supervisor for Wairakei Pastoral at Taupo where they have a big fleet of both models. He showed me a folder of invoices for repair work on both the Ranger and Shaggers . Hell the file was about 8 inches thick in invoices ,.
Thought f**k that , will keep the Cruiser..

You what?  Cheesy

Had a funny discussion with a mate who bought a brand new ranger and kitted it out for off road work. After only 3,500 kms it was going back to the Ford stealership for find several rattles that had developed in that short amount of time and one trip up the Rangitata Valley.

At the time my landcruiser had 350,000 kms on it, many of them off road and it still had no rattles...  Grin

Earlier this year I seriously looked at buy a new Ranger for the same price I could buy a tidy lowish kms Landcruiser. Potential maintenance costs on a new vehicle and below average resale scared me off.  In the end I bought another Landcruiser. I know I'll be able to put a couple of hundred thousand more kms on it and only lose a few grand.

IP Logged

chilly

Reply #18 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 8:04pm
Print Post  
Honestly you cant compare that lite ute crap to a v8 cruiser
sure its not a town truck, but when its time to go off the road
who are its compititors.You go anywhere on the planet were
real 4x4 are used they reign supreme

IP Logged

tweake
Forum Font

tweak it till it breaks

Reply #19 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 4:29pm
Print Post  
XRhunter wrote on Oct 24th, 2017 at 11:48am:
And the Cruiser will still be stonking along, long after  the two-three  lightweight utes have broken down and/or cost way too much to keep on the road. Its always a toss up what you need for the task at hand. Cheap is generally cheap for a reason.

depends on the task.
cruiser will still wear out and your going to have to keep it for longer. but it has an advantage in the rough stuff for sure.

i've had my last work ute for 13 years, have upgraded to a much nicer ute. old ute is still going fine. ute gets used on farm 5 days a week. lots of towing and carrying max loads.
provided i don't pound the crap out of it i can do 30+ years of light utes for the cost of one cruiser.

you have to keep the cruiser for 30 years to get your money out of it. how many are  still driving 30 year cruisers? very few. everyone upgrades well before that.

so in the end the cruiser costs you a lot more for a bit more off road capability and a bit more heavy duty use.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Donor Member

Reply #20 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
I guess its horses for courses.  Company wagon doing tasks that have to be done on time every time. Hauling heavy loads each day over poor roads, lumpy terrain - the cruiser wins out. Farmer using his ute to do some of the jobs around the farm, also uses quad and tractor where appropriate, much cheap ute wins out.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards