Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ford Ranger Predator Edition (Read 4612 times)
Corey Parker
Donor Member

Ford Ranger Predator Edition
Oct 16th, 2017 at 10:35am
Print Post  
I am looking at one of these and doing my research on the pros and cons. I would like a manual if possible but can find very little on the manual vs auto argument. Anyone have experience good or bad with both the manual and auto version? I am looking at 2013-2014 trucks at the moment. Any issues, bugs, faults that have occurred?
Looking at something like this: https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/ford/auction-1423194174.htm

One KNHNTR. Any day on the hill beats a day in the office.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Re: Ford Ranger Predator Edition
Reply #1 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
We have had 3  BT50'S  (Ford's lesser known Mazda sibling),over the last 10 years, 2 manuals and the latest is an auto. Would never go back to a manual again, no issues with any of the vehicles, apart from the minor factory recall mods.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:37pm
Print Post  
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:31pm:
We have had 3  BT50'S  (Ford's lesser known Mazda sibling),over the last 10 years, 2 manuals and the latest is an auto. Would never go back to a manual again, no issues with any of the vehicles, apart from the minor factory recall mods.

Thanks X-Poacher, what is the appeal of the new auto vs the manual to you? I like the idea of having good engine braking for hill descents and tricky steep back roads.

IP Logged

Miroku

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 4:14pm
Print Post  
The auto gear box is a lot stronger, some manuals have had issues, plus with a auto you have no dual mass flywheel to go tits up. heaps of engine breaking still with auto plus you have desnt control which is scarey the first time but works really well. Ive had my auto ranger for 3.5 years and no issues with anything.  getting 7.5 - 8.00 per 100 ks  consistantly

IP Logged

STI
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
X-POACHER-YEAH RYT wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 12:31pm:

Had 1 BT-50 2009 SDX model. brought it 2013 at 97,000kms. Wife uses it as daily drive, Just ticked over 117,000kms. Been off the road being repaired approx 1 month per year on the last three and total repair costs in excess of $12k so far, thank god we brought a "warrenty" with it.

As far as I am concerned its a total piece of shit and I don't have any confidence it wont leave us stranded ........................... again

My 93 Pajero on the other hand is worth nothing and costs nothing.

I would / will never buy another Mazda/ford ever again .............ever Will be a Hilux or maybe a Colarado next

BUT I am sold on Automatics rather than manuals and that's something I never thought I would say
just my .02 cents,

I have English Pointers because they don't ever grow up either..

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 8:09pm
Print Post  
The Mazda has a bad reputation . its a different drive train to the ford, with different suspension . I was warned away from them when I bought My ranger new

IP Logged

Corey Parker
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 8:56am
Print Post  
Thanks for input so far guys, appreciated. It certainly sounds like the auto is the go. I wasn't keen on the BT-50 as it looked like the poor cousin to the Ranger anyway.

IP Logged

JoshC
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Definitely go auto

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 10:08am
Print Post  
Miroku wrote on Oct 16th, 2017 at 8:09pm:
The Mazda has a bad reputation . its a different drive train to the ford, with different suspension . I was warned away from them when I bought My ranger new

Was it a Ford dealer who warned you off?  Wink

I understand the suspension has some differences, but pretty sure the drive train is the same? And from new the Mazdas have a capped service cost of $200 for routine services for the warranty period. Worth having, imo.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #9 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 12:03pm
Print Post  
Nope , our company service manager / mechanic. who used to work for a huge mazda dealership .

IP Logged

Tinfish
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Oct 19th, 2017 at 10:11am
Print Post  
I am on my fourth Ranger at the moment and pull a 3.5 tonne boat all over the place so recon they get a pretty good test. So far I have had one problem and that involved the ring gear detaching from the flywheel at just over the 100K mark on my last one. Ford jumped in and fixed it pretty smart so i cant complain.
I am upgrading to a Ram 2500 early in the new year though as 3.5 tonne of boat and equipment on top of that really is putting these small utes at their max.

IP Logged

Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Reply #11 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 7:08am
Print Post  
I have to say I am loving my Triton for ten grand or more less and a ten year 160,000km warrantee. I have yet to meet a Triton owner who isnt really happy with it. It was abig factor in buying mine. Same cant be said for the likes of D Max owners. Have heard good and bad stories about them. Rangers are very expensive. The Triton drives like a dream and is very quiet and comfortable. Aside from someone wanting to tow big loads I think when it comes to vehicle choice it comes down a lot to people thinking more with their little head and wanting to be seen driving something BIG. I am seeing a lot of Tritons towing boats these days too. Back in the day Ford just used to take the Mazdas and add a digital clock and ten grand to the price tag. Grin Grin Pretty much the same vehicle back then. Not sure about now. I have a manual but will get an auto next time.

IP Logged

Mad_Fisho
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Oct 21st, 2017 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Auto is the business mate. I've got a '14 ranger in auto, I've always been a manual man, last ute was a manual hilux, but I wouldn't go back now. The gearing is always spot on and tows really well. Haven't had any issues to date!

IP Logged

Old School

Reply #13 - Oct 22nd, 2017 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Had plans of trading my 08 Landcruiser V8 on a Ranger or Shagger. Mate is a supervisor for Wairakei Pastoral at Taupo where they have a big fleet of both models. He showed me a folder of invoices for repair work on both the Ranger and Shaggers . Hell the file was about 8 inches thick in invoices ,.
Thought f**k that , will keep the Cruiser..

IP Logged

LOVETT
Forum Font

Hunting the Kaweka, Ruahine
& Tararua Forest Parks

Reply #14 - Oct 23rd, 2017 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Drove the auto and manual in every major make.  I just don't see where ypu guys are coming from with this auto over manual talk??? Maybe in something with real grunt like a Ram or Duramax but the Ranger etc. Na not for me still to gutless to plant foot and not end up in first gear.

YOU'LL LEARN NO HARM FROM THE HILLS - NEWTON MCCONOCHIE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards