Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Is a down rigger essential for trolling? (Read 705 times)
Alex M
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Is a down rigger essential for trolling?
Oct 14th, 2017 at 8:13am
Print Post  
Hi guys, I'm looking at getting a small boat to expand my fishing areas and was just wondering if a down rigger is essential for trolling? Also, can they be fitted to any boat? Probably looking at a small aluminum boat Smiley

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Re: Is a down rigger essential for trolling?
Reply #1 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 8:18am
Print Post  
I put a cheap one on my boat a few years back for trout, turned out to be a bloody hassel.  Ended up just using the lead lines which work well, just don't get the good fight on the steel cable

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 3:22pm
Print Post  
pain in the bum...even on reasonable sized boat. we trol with 6lb nylon and tassie devils,adjust motor speed till your rod tips bounce with lure action then keep that speed,that puts lure in top 3-5mtrs of water,you can go to larger/heavier lure to go down to 8mtrs or as said above use lead line....my setup is an old short rod and a large fly/salmon reel...but to be honest havent used it for 3-4 seasons as lakes that are weedy make anything too deep just a pain as they keep fowling weed.

IP Logged

Alex M
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Wow thanks guys, I thought that they were essential but it's great to know that there are other options. Just one less piece of equipment to worry about now Smiley

IP Logged

ChrisHB
Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Oct 14th, 2017 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Oct 14th, 2017 at 3:22pm:
.. we trol with 6lb nylon and tassie devils,adjust motor speed till your rod tips bounce with lure action then keep that speed,that puts lure in top 3-5mtrs of water,....

That's more like harling than trolling.

The advantage of downriggers is tight control of depth and much faster resetting of gear than leadline. Even with 25 colours and a heavy shooting head, you can't realistically get down deeper than 30m short of no boat speed, and it takes a good 10mins to haul then reset, usually 15 by the time you've shagged round after the retrieve.

I do two private tournaments  each year and only one of those allows downriggers. I'm more used to leadline but can appreciate to advantages of downrigging especially the decent fight you get.

Either technique will catch fish and there are pros and cons of each. I actually prefer jigging, particularly the lack of motor noise..

IP Logged

out there doing it

I Love The FishnHunt Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 16th, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
Hi Alex,  I put one on my 18'6" boat and have not used it for a few years now. Just like a couple of the other guys, now I run trolling lines with varying lengths of leadline - 1,3 and 5 colours so we can cover the water column. Always run the one colour closest to the bank, three out the other side and a deep one in the middle. Avoid sharp turns otherwise you'll have a glorious hour or two needing to be spent untangleing them!!... Speaking from experience on the Kingston warf until after dark with ##$@%!! headlights on!

Also I use flyline backing instead of mono from the reel to the leadline - then about 10 meters of mono to the lure. Seems to work really well on the southern lakes.

Cheers and tight lines.

IP Logged

Alex M
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Oct 17th, 2017 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Can't thank you all enough for your advice and help everyone. much appreciated and very helpful for a newbie. Can't wait to get out there now!

IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #7 - Oct 20th, 2017 at 6:57am
Print Post  
I have them, they have good and bad points,
If you don't need to be down below 15 m or so, I will use slip weights or torpedo's. not common in NZ, but I buy them in Canada, and bring them to NZ, 3-5 Oz slip weight them M above the lure, spoon work great and get you down 7-10m. With a light line,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards