Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Scoring a Target (Read 441 times)
Deer hunter Duck Shooter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Scoring a Target
Oct 10th, 2017 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Hi guys I am running a target shooting comp in the weekend, as part of a bigger event.
I have targets with bullseye being 10 and then 9 more circles with the outer being 1.
My question is if a bullet is half in 8 half in 7 what is it scored. Or if it is almost fully in 8 but just Knicks 7 what is it scored.
Thanks

IP Logged

Gillie
Donor Member

You cannot miss fast enough!

Re: Scoring a Target
Reply #1 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 5:36am
Print Post  
There are two schools of thought with this - inward and outward scoring.

Inward scoring is what most competitions use (including NZDA). NZDA typically use 8mm gauging to "level the playing field" between competitors using a .224" bullet versus a .300" bullet - so an 8mm diameter circle is centered over the bullet hole in the paper and if this circle cuts the line then the higher score values is awarded.

Outward scoring is what smallbore shooting does. As small bore is all done with 22LRs there is not gauging used. If the bullet hole cuts the line then the lower score value is awarded.

Unless your shooting is going to be extremely precise I would recommend using inward scoring.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #2 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Thanks for that Gillie, It is all with my .22.
I presume 99% are amateurs some may have never shot a gun before. But there maybe some who are professional shooters. I would like to go inward scoring method as it sounds more positive.
If the line is broken to the higher value they get that.
Do you ever get sheets come in and you know the shooter was good, they fired three shots but you can only find two? Or is it separate target for each shot.

IP Logged

Gillie
Donor Member

You cannot miss fast enough!

Reply #3 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 6:25am
Print Post  
Again, with a real precision event like smallbore they are one shot per target. Benchrest shooting is 5 shot groups but they have multiple target backers to identify the 5 separate shots.

NZDA typically do 5 shots per target and it is extremely rare to have one shot pass exactly through the hole of a previous shot such that you can't find it. In more than 25 years of target shooting I have only seen that once and the competitor was given the benefit of the doubt. Almost always the hole looks like there is two shots through it.

IP Logged

Deer hunter Duck Shooter

Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 6:46pm
Print Post  
Thanks Gillie I thought if I went with a bit of knowledge I would be able to run a better event.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards