Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Losing fish on spinning rod (Read 1235 times)
Alex M
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Losing fish on spinning rod
Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Hi guys, I seem to be losing about 50% of the fish that I hook on spinners. I have tried treble hooks and single hooks and seems to be about the same loss rate. Am I doing something seriously wrong(like not setting the hook properly?) or is this close to a normal ratio for landing fish? Fish are lake fish, mostly salmon and rainbow trout so they do fight hard and jump about. Some of them get off the line almost instantly while others are on for a couple of minutes and then spit the hook. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged

Paul Stenning
Online Forum Guide
Staff

Does life exist north
of the Mataura?

Re: Losing fish on spinning rod
Reply #1 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Hi Alex .....  young or fast growing trout seem to have softer mouths and will throw the hook more easily (especially sea run or estuarine trout). The heavier the lure the easier it is for trout to shake it out especially when jumping. My suggestion is to go to chemically sharpened hooks on as light a lure as possible. Try soft baits with a 1/16 or 1/24 jig heads .... if fishing lakes use the t tail type soft baits to give action or jig a gulp or powerbait softbait. ..... fishing and loosing them is still better than not catching anything so you must be doing plenty right!

Never trust those who do not trust others!

IP Logged

Alex M
Just Joined

Reply #2 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
Thanks so much for your reply Paul. I have been using up to 17 gram spinners so you may be dead right about the fish being able to through the heavy spinner out. The only thing is that I fish from the shore so I have been using heavy spinners to aid in casting further and also for the better sink rate. If i was to start using softbaits would they still have the same effect if I added splitshot weights to the line above the softbait to help with casting? And do you just fish the softbaits in a wind and pause/jerky retrieve? Sorry for all of the questions, advice is much appreciated! Thanks

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 3:51pm
Print Post  
17grm Im guessing tassie devils?????? rip out the wire guts and throw in the rubbish bin...... thread nylon through body of spinner and then either thread small bead on and tie on single hook....or tie on small snap swivel and single hook (my preferred method)
what this does is allow lure to slide back up line and doesnt give fish weight of lure to chuck around and dislodge hook.
two other things...... set drag to about 2lb...you should be able to pull line with rod bent  without much effort.

drop rod tip when fish jumps so it can take line even easier and if it happens to land on line there is still a chance it wont break it.
keep line tight so slight bend in rod at all other times this will help to keep hook in....the hardest time I find is when fish swimming directly towards you...wind fast enough to keep contact but not pull hook out.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 9th, 2017 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
If using Rapala lures look at Andrew Harding's vids [Troutboy]on Youtube replacing the treble with single lure Gammie hooks.Knows his stuff.

IP Logged

outnabout
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 5:54am
Print Post  
Hi Alex.
Are you using braid? If so, you could try using mono as the stretch and springy-ness helps keep the hook in during head shakes.

IP Logged

Alex M
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for all of the advice. I have been using braid over the last couple of seasons. I'm going to spool one of my reels with mono and see how it compares with the landing rate. Yes I had heard that running the line through the tassie to the hook is the way to go and usually(sometimes!) do that Smiley I have a few different methods to try now (mono, lighter lures, looser drag, single hooks etc.) Thanks a lot everyone  Smiley

IP Logged

Hayden

Reply #7 - Oct 15th, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  
Alex M wrote on Oct 11th, 2017 at 7:15pm:
I'm going to spool one of my reels with mono and see how it compares with the landing rate.

I find braid with a long mono leader (4-5m) a good compromise, as straight mono is too stretchy to feel soft bites and set the the hook consistently.

Can get low stretch mono as well. Platapus make one, my mates got it on his reel and its feels a bit like fluorocarbon mainline with noticeably less stretch than standard mono.

IP Logged

Rudolph Red Nose

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 9:20pm
Print Post  
some interesting comments here. Will also take some of the advise on board to hopefully improve my catch rate. cheers

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2017 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Look at this. Buy some carbontex from this dude . Make your own ,lube them and your reel will operate like glass. We do this on our Shimanos 2500. The original washers are shite.

http://www.downriggershop.com.au/carbontex-drag-washers.html

IP Logged

Alex M
Just Joined

Reply #10 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 4:57pm
Print Post  
Hello again everyone. Just thought I would let you know how I got on with your advice on my latest fishing trip. I used braid with a 5 meter leader, along with lighter lures(about 10 gram mostly) and I used a size one single hook. I hooked 13 fish over the trip and managed to land 11 of them. So obviously a much better success rate!

Not sure whether it was all 3 of those factors or just one, or maybe another factor that I'm not aware of but it is certainly much better.

Anyway thanks again, and hopefully some other new people can use some of the info  Smiley

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #11 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Good on you Alex M for letting us know how you have got on.

Good result.  Cool

IP Logged

outnabout
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 4:03pm
Print Post  

Good to hear you're having success Alex.

Thanks for taking the time to update us

IP Logged

pyro

Reply #13 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 7:58pm
Print Post  
Much better story with the feedback, tight lines!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards