Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic A new design (Read 986 times)
Von Gruff
Donor Member

A new design
Oct 1st, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
I had designed this one a while back but this was the first time I decided to make a couple.
A good friend had given me a piece of beech burl and thought to use it on this smaller handled knife as it had some barkpockets I had to fill and would not suit anything larger. Did another one in buffalo horn and one in walnut as well

2.2mm - .09 15N20 steel. 90x20mm blade (3 1/2x3/4)

The ability to do comes with doing

IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: A new design
Reply #1 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 5:14am
Print Post  
Nice VG.
I like the black handled one. Are the scales on that one buffalo horn?.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 6:46am
Print Post  
yes that is buffalo horn. I got in a few sets in my last order from the US

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Have made up a pair of these and am pleased with how they feel in hand. The hunter butcher has a 4 1/2 inch 1095 blade with buffalo horn bolster and blackwood handle  with a flaired butt end for greater directional controll, while the boner has a 4 inch 1095 blade and a simple losenge shaped blackwood handles as it will often be used from the bottom of the hand as often as it is from the top of the hande for boning out. They will both come in standard carry sheaths. Am gong to make a few sets and will see how they are recieved. I have "discovered" a new way of finishing the handles and now sit them in a tin of BLO for a few hours then wipe off rather than finger tip rubbing in multiple coats over many days. It was the way the  old Enfield factory finished LE rifles stocks but they left them 24 hours so it will certainly be good and faster finish for the knife handles as well.

Finished another little field scalpel as well with 2 1/2 in 1084 blade and buffalo handles with a slightly redesigned rounded end.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
very tidy.

IP Logged

littlemorepork

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2017 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
Nice work VG!
What does BLO mean?

Cheers
LMP

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2017 at 4:02am
Print Post  
littlemorepork wrote on Oct 27th, 2017 at 8:57pm:
Nice work VG!
What does BLO mean?

Cheers
LMP

BLO is Boiled Linseed Oil

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
nice  looking knives

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2017 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
Nice work Garry. Do you peen the pins over on the ends? Reason I ask is because Iíve been using the first knife I made, and find that the scales separate from the tang when the blade flexes a bit. Theyíre epoxied and pinned, but I didnít peen the pins.

IP Logged

Von Gruff
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2017 at 4:36am
Print Post  
I dont peen the pins Mitch but then my blades are not really able to flex either so there is no mechanical working against the pins and epoxy. When you made your knife, did you rough up the tang steel with 220 grit crosshatching to aid in the bond between steel and wood (or other handle material) and countersink both, the pin holes in the steel and underside of the handle scale, so you create a slight dam of epoxy to aid in the overall epoxy hold and the mechanical hold of the driven pin. What epoxy did you use and did you ensure there was an oil free steel surface before epoxying (clean with acetone)

IP Logged

mitch270
Donor Member

No longer owns a .270

Reply #10 - Nov 1st, 2017 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
Von Gruff wrote on Oct 30th, 2017 at 4:36am:
I dont peen the pins Mitch but then my blades are not really able to flex either so there is no mechanical working against the pins and epoxy. When you made your knife, did you rough up the tang steel with 220 grit crosshatching to aid in the bond between steel and wood (or other handle material) and countersink both, the pin holes in the steel and underside of the handle scale, so you create a slight dam of epoxy to aid in the overall epoxy hold and the mechanical hold of the driven pin. What epoxy did you use and did you ensure there was an oil free steel surface before epoxying (clean with acetone)

I cleaned the surface, and used a two part epoxy that was supposedly super strong, think it was a selleys product. Didnít rough up the tang or countersink though. Iíll try your suggestions next time, itís a huge learning curve alright. Thanks

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards