Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Adding more Bouyancy (Read 1715 times)
ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Adding more Bouyancy
Sep 25th, 2017 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Anyone enclosed and sealed up their outboard motor pod?

It would need a water tight hatch  to allow acess to the engine mounting bolts, but i think its a simple way to add some extra  bouyancy to the stern of an aluminium boat.

IP Logged

deserthead
Just Joined

better than 13 clubs to
hit the same ball......

Re: Adding more Bouyancy
Reply #1 - Oct 17th, 2018 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Absolutely.Easy way to test..Grab some polystyrene - I bought a sheet at bunnings for about $30.00. Cut it about the right size or a tad bigger and just wedge them in to the height you want. A bit of water will still get in but 1/2 a litre won't matter. Holds the stern of my Bluefin up nicely........The joys of heavy 4 stroke engines.......

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Oct 18th, 2018 at 11:17am
Print Post  
deserthead wrote on Oct 17th, 2018 at 5:28pm:
Absolutely.Easy way to test..Grab some polystyrene - I bought a sheet at bunnings for about $30.00. Cut it about the right size or a tad bigger and just wedge them in to the height you want. A bit of water will still get in but 1/2 a litre won't matter. Holds the stern of my Bluefin up nicely........The joys of heavy 4 stroke engines.......

check out the fishing report, "Making a good thing better"  I think that's it from memory.

These new Evinrudes are frigging amazing, 25-27 knots using around 1 Litre of fuel per Naut mile. Shocked   

I admit to being skeptical about the new 2 stroke but after a lot of fishing trips  I would never  go to a 4 stroke, with the 2 stroke having around 200 less moving parts to let you down, being lighter and we all know the power a 2 stroke engine can generate. 48-50 knots is scary.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Oct 19th, 2018 at 5:25am
Print Post  
how about for a simple fryan dingy????? are the side seats foam filled standard????? will filling with expandite foam keep it up if filled with water????
ICEMAN 48 knots Shocked!!!!! I do know 40 kmph is fun in said fryan...go the new 15hp 2 stroke Wink

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 9:40am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Oct 19th, 2018 at 5:25am:
how about for a simple fryan dingy????? are the side seats foam filled standard????? will filling with expandite foam keep it up if filled with water????
ICEMAN 48 knots Shocked!!!!! I do know 40 kmph is fun in said fryan...go the new 15hp 2 stroke Wink

Only the once mate, I will say that a 6.4 pontoon chine walking is interesting.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #5 - Oct 23rd, 2018 at 7:17pm
Print Post  
Shocked Shocked yes that would be enough to put nicotene stains in the underwear Wink

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #6 - Oct 25th, 2018 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
What is chine walking?

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 9:15am
Print Post  
davflaws wrote on Oct 25th, 2018 at 8:12pm:
What is chine walking?

Exciting and frightening at the same time . Grin

check out this clip at around the 16- 25sec mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKROibULq1U

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Reply #8 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:31pm
Print Post  
Shit -not for me! Mind you, I wouldn't take a rig like that to sea anyway. In my head, that setup is suitable for a small lake or a blast across a small harbour on a flat calm day.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Oct 26th, 2018 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
davflaws wrote on Oct 26th, 2018 at 12:31pm:
Shit -not for me! Mind you, I wouldn't take a rig like that to sea anyway. In my head, that setup is suitable for a small lake or a blast across a small harbour on a flat calm day.

I agree, 
Mikes 6.4 pontoon KiwiKraft  "running light" during  trials (to find the right prop)  after he had done a few modifications to the hull and having the new motor fitted was able to reach speeds over 50knots, this was about 20-25 knots above its designed top speed.  Grin

Once it was finished being refitted, loaded as for normal fishing trips with four adults, Fish bins ice etc it cruises most economically at around 27knots using around 1 litre per nautical mile which is excellent for such a boat and load and has heaps more power available for dodging waves etc on bar crossings, I think it can reach around 40+ knots in a decent sea

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards