Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic It started out as a bow hunt..... (Read 874 times)
UstaBZee

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

It started out as a bow hunt.....
Sep 25th, 2017 at 6:56am
Print Post  
Saturday was opening day for archery here in Arkansas..so I headed to our camp on Friday morning early...

Hunted deer Sat. morning...it was hot and nothing was moving...checked my cameras and saw that I had a hog coming to the mudhole below camp...in fact he had been there Friday nite!
I set up my motion sensor lights and alarm and decided to hunt hogs with my rifle at nite in between deer hunts..

Hunted deer Saturday evening until almost dark..it was 90+ degrees and not much fun sitting in a tree..and the deer were still not moving...

Walked back to camp and there was an 8pt feeding in the clover below camp..he watched me walk to the camper and was not concerned...

It was very close to dark and I noticed that the deer was gone, but something black was in the food plot on the hill top across from camp..binos confirmed it was a hog and he disappeared headed down the hill to the mudhole below camp..

Got the window open and the rifle settled when he appeared..then he disappeared then he was back and headed to the mud...  By now I was really losing light, and he didn't seem interested in the feeder where the lights would help me...so as soon as I got a shot I took it...

At the shot I heard the bullet hit..and he launched himself up over the levee...and was gone.  A second later he reappeared running up the hill toward camp and then he disappeared.

By now it was full dark..I put the kill lite on my rifle and walked down the hill looking for him.  He was laying about 60yds below camp...

He wasn't as big as the last 2 I killed, but he will make for some good eating...  I got the tractor and got him strung up and skinned and gutted.

I didn't weigh him, but guessed him at about 150.  When I opened him up both lungs were gone and so was the top of his heart... 150gr .308 sierra did the job on him...

Didn't get a deer yet, but I will gladly take a chance to blast a hog anytime...  Cheesy

IP Logged

Bowunter

Shoot to thrill

Re: It started out as a bow hunt.....
Reply #1 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Nice work  Smiley

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: It started out as a bow hunt.....
Reply #2 - Sep 27th, 2017 at 8:46pm
Print Post  
yumho...good work.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards