Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Why is there so much deer on the East Coast of US??? (Read 1127 times)
MateWiggy
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Why is there so much deer on the East Coast of US???
Sep 21st, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Why is there so much deer on the East Coast of US??? 
My mate went travelling through the East Coast of US and he said there were absolutely rediculously high numbers of deer you can see from rural roads and shit loads of them get run over on highways.  I was just wondering why's that?  Is no one shooting them there???

IP Logged

UstaBZee

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Why is there so much deer on the East Coast of US???
Reply #1 - Sep 21st, 2017 at 11:49am
Print Post  
MateWiggy...lots of deer in many areas of the US not just the east coast.  Heaviest people population in the east coast though, and lots of urbanization complicates hunting the deer.  It spite of that they kill lots of deer in the NE..  Habitat is good and the whitetails are very adaptable..  You will see deer smashed on the road in just about every state...

Two years ago on the way home from Montana we saw hundreds of dead deer along the highways.  On the interstate highway in downtown St. Louis a 12 pt buck jumped the fence and got smacked by an SUV 3 cars ahead of us...dead deer and some commotion for a bit...luckily no one got hurt but the deer.  That was about noon.

We were almost home that evening, pouring rain... My wife was driving...black wet night, oncoming traffic, big buck standing in the road. No way to avoid it...dead deer, wrecked truck, 5 miles from home on an 1800 mile trip...

The east coast ain't the only place here covered up with deer.. When the rut comes around and we are traveling, when the sun is setting we are looking for a motel...too easy to smack a deer that time of year.

That said bow season opens Saturday and rifle season just around the corner...we will do our part to reduce the deer population here in Arkansas.

IP Logged

264Magic
Forum Font

Reply #2 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 8:46am
Print Post  
UstaBZee wrote on Sep 21st, 2017 at 11:49am:
MateWiggy...lots of deer in many areas of the US not just the east coast.  Heaviest people population in the east coast though, and lots of urbanization complicates hunting the deer.  It spite of that they kill lots of deer in the NE..  Habitat is good and the whitetails are very adaptable..  You will see deer smashed on the road in just about every state...

Two years ago on the way home from Montana we saw hundreds of dead deer along the highways.  On the interstate highway in downtown St. Louis a 12 pt buck jumped the fence and got smacked by an SUV 3 cars ahead of us...dead deer and some commotion for a bit...luckily no one got hurt but the deer.  That was about noon.

We were almost home that evening, pouring rain... My wife was driving...black wet night, oncoming traffic, big buck standing in the road. No way to avoid it...dead deer, wrecked truck, 5 miles from home on an 1800 mile trip...

The east coast ain't the only place here covered up with deer.. When the rut comes around and we are traveling, when the sun is setting we are looking for a motel...too easy to smack a deer that time of year.

That said bow season opens Saturday and rifle season just around the corner...we will do our part to reduce the deer population here in Arkansas.

give them hell buddy

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

MateWiggy
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply UstaBZee.  Awesome reply too.  Yeah that's what my mate said too 100's of dead deer on the roads, -  I actually thought he was exaggerating lol Smiley.  Can't remember last time I saw deer on the road in NZ.   Mate, you need few Kiwi hunters to help out I reckon. Smiley    How's the Texas Hog Bounty ? Still on?  I read online a little while ago that Texas Federation of Farmers pay bounty for hogs - a modest fee but enough for few beers and some grub for the hunters doing it for the love of it.   I was seriously considering doing it as a little holiday trip. or shooting Roos in Oz
Which one would you guys rate better ? Smiley

IP Logged

MateWiggy
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
There is just something to be said about globe trotting hunting trips Smiley

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #5 - Sep 22nd, 2017 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
MateWiggy...when u find out where they are paying that pig bounty in Texas let me know....  Truth is if u want to hunt pigs or anything else in Texas you will end up paying for it.  There is almost no public hunting land in Texas..so you end up paying at the very least a trespass fee. 

I was fortunate enough to make friends with a rancher that did hog control for his neighbors and did get in some good free hunts, but those days are gone now.  Neighbors changed..hunting places dried up..   Now that the pigs have been rooting our ground at the 40 I guess I will just hunt hogs at home.. Grin

That said if you get the urge to hunt the states there are states with lots of public land and some of the licenses are not too steep.
But no doubt more expensive than going to Oz to shoot Roos.

IP Logged

MateWiggy
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:21am
Print Post  
Crikey,  I must have read some outdated crap lol.  I thought I actually saw that on you tube.  Thanks mate for putting me right.  I spoke to a mate of a mate who knows a mate who shot roos for a living for a month or so, he said that's not hunting that is just slaughter (i.e. culling) .  They shoot them from a window from a 4wd spotlighting with a light on a roof top.  Bugger that,  it really is not hunting.    I took a shot on goat which was a wee close , may be 20 meters or so, I though he was gonna run , but he didn't even run.  Don't get me wrong I did like the marinated roast leg on char coals, but kinda had qualms about the shot being somewhat unsportsman like.  I decided not to take shots like that any more.  Quarry tastes better too when you really work for it Smiley    I guess I am sticking to a good old New Zealand then, which isn't a bad option at all considering hunting restrictions I have heard of overseas.

IP Logged

MateWiggy
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - Sep 25th, 2017 at 9:25am
Print Post  
Rock over to NZ UstaBZee.  We'll go for a good hunt down the South Island. I am same age as you - just cracked 40 . Its beautiful down there.  I am going there this Xmas holiday.  Will keep you posted and will share some pics.  Hopefully get a decent camera sorted to take footage and may be make vids for laughs and memories.

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #8 - Oct 5th, 2017 at 6:14am
Print Post  
You would think in a place as large as Texas,there would be some public hunting available.I drove across it about 25 years back, it took a fair while to get from one side of the state to the other.

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2017 at 6:30am
Print Post  
GDMP...there is some public ground, a national forest on the east side, and a few federal and state areas that have some hunting, but compared to other states the percentage of public land open to hunting is very small...  On those available places the pressure is high, or the access is regulated by drawing for permits.

You are right, it's a pretty big place.  By comparison Arkansas is much smaller, but we have much more public land both federal and state that is open to public hunting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards