Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pup scared of cars (Read 3940 times)
gunsmalone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Pup scared of cars
Sep 11th, 2017 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
I'm training up a heading dog at the moment, she's 7 months old and she's pretty scared of cars.
Not sure if i've done something wrong when i first got her or how it started.
It's to the point when out walking/training her i need to take her by the car to training spots where there isn't any vehicles which is a pain in the backside as i live in the country and there's a lot of good areas near home.

She's pretty good with parked cars just when they drive past, she just tries to take off or freezes and starts crouching down. Even just hearing one coming down the road but out of site she stops and keeps looking for it, or she'll try and go up peoples driveways.
It makes it hard to train because she isn't relaxed if she can hear cars or see them.

I guess you'd say she's more on the timid side of things.

Anyone on here had the same issue and successfully fixed it?

She's showing so much promise so i'd like to keep her, just can't help but think that maybe i'd be better off moving onto another dog.

Cheers

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

Re: Pup scared of cars
Reply #1 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 5:48am
Print Post  
whats she like with gun shots.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

gunsmalone
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Not sure yet.
So far ive just put her on a stop and bang 2 bits of wood and she barely blinks an eye.
I'll be starting to use a supressed .22 in the next couple weeks.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
on the plus side she not likely to ever get run over Wink
very timid can be worked around and you wont find many cars out in the bush where you will be working together to find a vennison.
if she was a lab I would say feed her beside the motorway for a week Grin Grin
maybe feed her in boot of your car and see what happens???
basically de-demonize the whole car thing...slowly and with as little pressure as possible.
my deer stalking buddy is very very very timid over some things even now at 3yr old,it doesnt stop her come hunting time Wink
hope that helps somewhat.

IP Logged

gunsmalone
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 8:08pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Sep 12th, 2017 at 4:27pm:
on the plus side she not likely to ever get run over Wink
very timid can be worked around and you wont find many cars out in the bush where you will be working together to find a vennison.
if she was a lab I would say feed her beside the motorway for a week Grin Grin
maybe feed her in boot of your car and see what happens???
basically de-demonize the whole car thing...slowly and with as little pressure as possible.
my deer stalking buddy is very very very timid over some things even now at 3yr old,it doesnt stop her come hunting time Wink
hope that helps somewhat.

Yer cheers i'll give that a try, she's not much of an eater but i'll find some treats that she might like.

Yer the being a bit timid i think helps in some ways, she's really slow and careful when sneaking in if one of our chickens are hiding in the bushes  Grin
Just hope she's fine when i start introducing her to gun fire.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #5 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
What I do with my dogs to make them not scared of fireworks and the lawn mower etc... is to get right down next to them and keep them between your legs facing the same way as you looking at where the action is going to come from. This helps to stop them running away and give a sense of security with you almost covering them with your body, Then  talk in high pitched tones about what is going to happen using the key word you want to associate with the thing ( in your case " here comes the car" etc...) and use your "we're going for a walk" or "time for a yum yum" voice with a heap of praise during and after the event. Part of the problem is the dog doesn't know where the perceived danger is initially coming from, so good to point out "there's a car over there, here it comes, good girl". If you take her for a drive in the car also good to use the word "car" and heaps of praise, then start it up and get her to come over to it while it's running etc.. then give her a treat next to the running car. Quite a bit of work but the aim is to desensitize her to the sound. Cars rushing past at 100km/h is a bit harder but if you can get a friend to drive up the driveway while you hold her as I mentioned and give heaps of praise etc.. using a high toned excited voice you should be able to build up from there.
Good luck Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #6 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 6:47pm
Print Post  
nice.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Stagrinon
Donor Member

No pain No gain.

Reply #7 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Sounds as if  you have a good dog otherwise.

My Pup was  shy of cars and vehicals, and I  just about had her run under the wheels of a truck one day, when she tried to make a break for it,   not an experience id like to repeat, she was that close.  Shocked

You may have to build up and gradually introduce them very slowly.

My dog eventually, became more confident, but I would deliberately walk her on the path,  at a time when  there were no or very few cars about, early morning etc and then took her out at times when i expected there to be more about as her confidence grew. She's okay now and will happily wander along out front with traffic just a few feet away. Bigger vehicals still affect her a little but shes gradually getting used to more and bigger buses and trucks.

To quote from the Deer Dog Blue Print on avoidance, when she shows signs of shying away don't praise her, with "Good dog" pats etc. 

You are not reassuring her, you are encouraging her to react more.

If you have a  nice quiet straight  road and can see the single cars coming from a way off, sit her down when one is coming along,  see at what point she starts to shy off, what distance away is it?

If you can sit her down at a distance away from the road, maybe in a park where it is close to road   extend the distance and then you can start, moving her in and sitting her down a bit closer to the action. 

I did this until my dog was happy to sit down next to the road
and i could keep her at a sit, when traffic was going past.  trying to keep for focus on me, or so that she could see that i wasn't worried by the traffic.    

Based on what ive learnt from time with my own dog,  the key to her training has been to maintain a pattern, of regular small steps or increases,   some times the steps can be measured in just  a couple of meters or 2-3 seconds of time.  Always aim for a positive result. Pushing things a bit too far or trying to rush hasn't worked.

I only have limited experience, but Im guessing with some dogs you can get away with bigger steps for different activities. So there are no hard and fixed rules.

Let us know how you get on.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #8 - Sep 14th, 2017 at 7:38pm
Print Post  
Good post. One thing leads to another.   Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #9 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 5:17pm
Print Post  
Hows the pup getting on.?

IP Logged

gunsmalone
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Oct 1st, 2017 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Oct 1st, 2017 at 5:17pm:
Hows the pup getting on.?

Yer much better,
I spoke to Trusty222 and he was a big help, similar to some of the advice above.

I've got an older lab who's really relaxed and i would always take them out separately so i could train the pup with no distraction, but i've started taking both dogs for walks together each day and sometimes with my son and the improvement was straight away.
She was definitely taking notice of us all walking along calmly and was a lot more relaxed as she could see we were all calm. Would still look at the cars but wouldn't try and sneak off.
I even took her to for a walk around Hagley park (which for those of you in the North its a busy park with a lot of cars driving around it in town). She was really really good, i think it was combination of seeing the lab and heaps of other people out walking and running around plus other dogs and lots of new smells and everyone relaxed.

She still will pull on the long line the last 100m of our walks regardless if there's cars nearby or not for some reason, whether it's the house or the truck she's walking to she starts getting anxious and won't relax until she's back near the house or in the truck.

So i haven't really been pushing the training so much just trying to take nice relaxing walks and new areas and trying to rebuild her slowly. i took her out today by herself near home and while it was pretty quiet on the roads she was still looking around quite a bit and i could see not very relaxed.

Work in progress tho i'll just keep at it, I'm still very confident that while out hunting it wont be an issue what so ever, just makes the daily walk/training a little frustrating having to drive to spots.

On the plus side i stashed a bit of deer skin and took her for a walk and she winded really well and brought me pretty much strait in from a good 1-200m or so away, only her second time with skin so i was chuffed.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #11 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Sounds good. Taking the pressure off is always going to be helpful. Your demeanor  probably changes too which is a big thing.

I like the way you are casually introducing the deer pelt without any pressure.. Its a natural thing its wanting to investigate.. by behaving in a positive manner every time it leads you to it your teaching behavior with no effort and no stress on your part or the dogs. Well done.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #12 - Oct 2nd, 2017 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
great stuff,get on top of that last 100 yards thing...before it stretches out. today 100 next week 200 3 months down track as soon as you turn to go home.......
seen horses do it heaps when they get galloped home often,you turn facing home and hello your off and racing hanging on for dear life till you regain control....
different I know but also similar.
we had a big huntaway who just LOVED riding in back of truck/ute and got so bad he would abandon work and run after bedford and leap in back when it drove past..... the cure was drastic but worked.....2nd person waited in back of truck...dog took off and lept in back only to be booted back out midflight....
you seem to have made real progress so hopefully will suss out your wee issue while it still is a wee issue.....
maybe,just maybe you need to turn around and walk away again and keep doing so untill she gets message that YOU decide when truck/home will be approached????? thoughts anyone......

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #13 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Cheers for the update Gunsmalone, it's always good to hear how a problem is progressing.

IP Logged

gunsmalone
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Oct 3rd, 2017 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Oct 2nd, 2017 at 8:30pm:
great stuff,get on top of that last 100 yards thing...before it stretches out. today 100 next week 200 3 months down track as soon as you turn to go home.......
seen horses do it heaps when they get galloped home often,you turn facing home and hello your off and racing hanging on for dear life till you regain control....
different I know but also similar.
we had a big huntaway who just LOVED riding in back of truck/ute and got so bad he would abandon work and run after bedford and leap in back when it drove past..... the cure was drastic but worked.....2nd person waited in back of truck...dog took off and lept in back only to be booted back out midflight....
you seem to have made real progress so hopefully will suss out your wee issue while it still is a wee issue.....
maybe,just maybe you need to turn around and walk away again and keep doing so untill she gets message that YOU decide when truck/home will be approached????? thoughts anyone......

Yer i was/am doing that, the same way i'm setting up range by giving the long line a yank and turning. but while her range is starting to come along nicely while she's relaxed, the last 100m it can get to the point where i'm not closing much distance to home and the dog is probably just getting a sore neck and maybe making the whole situation even worse.
Plus i'm sure any neighbours looking out their window would probably think there's that nutter pacing up and down and dragging his poor pup around again  Cheesy

Last couple of days i've taken her (and the lab) to some new spots and she wasn't to bad, so new exciting places seem to be less stressful.

Cheers

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards