Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Which outboards ??? (Read 1904 times)
groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Which outboards ???
Sep 4th, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, haven't been on here for awhile as Iv been converted to facebook and dont have time for both ...lol
Im selling my mighty (Warrior) which is my 8m alloy boat.
I have decided to have a new RH780 Senator built from scratch so I can semi customize a few things.
After quite a bit of research the Senator sounds to be a good handling boat in sloppy/shitty conditions and price good compared to some of the other big alloy well know brands, and the RH780 has a 2.7m beam.
Im not going for another inboard diesel and stern drive this time due to being very expensive and the only gain it achieves is saving my mates on fuel money.
We travel a long way out to our fishing areas, 35 miles off shore and a breakdown is always a worry in the back of my mind when we are out there with only one engine.
So therefore twin four strokes are on the menu.
I want a balance of enough power but trying to keep fuel economy as best as possible, so I have decided on twin 150hp motors.
My problem is I dont know a huge amount about which is better, pros and cons ?
I am being told different things about different brands by different guys, most of them are pretty clued up.
Choices are Merc, Suzuki, Honda, Yamaha.
Have been told that Jap stuff is the way to go which deletes Merc, also told that Merc uses more fuel. The Merc has the largest cc rating at 3000 and single cam, other three smaller cc rating and twin cam.
Doesnt seem to be alot in price difference from what Iv seen so far, maybe a few grand either way.
Best economy, power, reliability, longevity, maintenance costs, technology against wear and tear and corrosion, and purchase price are all things I need to look at.
Help me guys !!!  But dont just tell me one is good just because you have one ...lol
I need some good solid advice backed up with a bit of knowledge and science !  thanks guys.

IP Logged

AMac

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Which outboards ???
Reply #1 - Sep 4th, 2017 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
Hi Groperman

I have had the 150 Merc EFI coming up to 5 years now and have been delighted with its performance, reliability, fuel economy, torque and quietness. I just love it. Its on a 6m Sea Ranger which is quite a big slab sided alloy hull. I use in Pelorus sound to get to our bach 27km from Havelock - has a 250 + litre fuel tank so with a full tank of gas and a load of people and gear its pretty hefty. I can get there using 12- 14 litres of gas with a load on depending on wind tide chop. Without a load the sweat spot for fuel consumption is 3600/3700 RPM which according to the smart gauges I do 1.9-2.1 KMs per Litre. 
Into the last year of the 5 year warranty the only issue has been the gauges stopped showing how much trim I was using but fixed under warranty. I drift fish around foul and refs a lot (don't have a winch) and often just leave the motor running but often end up forgetting that is going cause its so quiet and try starting it up again. Compared to the old 2 stroke its a different world and has changed our boating - I have 12 foot tinny with an 8 hp down there which we used to use all the time for running about the bay and I have now not used it for what 4 years now use the 6 m for everything. That being said all of the modern 4 strokes are great motors now days I dont reckon you will go wrong with any of them. Been using a mates 545 Haines with a 150 Yamaha ticked over 45 hours on saturday so pretty new - would be happy with that too but it is louder and no better on the gas.

I think Senators made in Napier and are a pontoon style?  Have you seen the Profile boats also made up that way similar style, I seen a few of those and thought they were really well built and finished. Fishing out of Napier you would have to think their boats are design for getting out well off shore and getting you back safely.

Cheers

AMac

IP Logged

raydafish

Reply #2 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 5:28am
Print Post  
hopefully auntie sees your post and comments.
one thing I would do regardless of which brand of engine you choose is to contact propeller services at mt maunganui and seek their advice re choice of propellers, this decision will have a huge impact on performance /economy. I cant speak highly enough of them for the advice I got re choice of prop for my boat.
cheers

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #3 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Thanks so far guys .

Where are you Auntie, need your advice.
I have a mate that is a very experienced auto sparky and is also a boaty and hes the one that told me not to go with a merc as he reckons the electrical side of things are just not up to the standard of the jap stuff, true or false ?
Yes the Senator will be built in Napier.
In regards to prop set up , Haven Pleasure Boats in Nelson will be doing the fit out as they seem to have alot of experience in setting up these boats, Andrew the owner seems confident on selecting the correct props, hopefully he knows his stuff.
Keep the advice coming guys, I need to know all the good and bad stuff.

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #4 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Think I have decided on twin BF150 Hondas.

IP Logged

ruffasgutz
Just Joined

yeah right

Reply #5 - Sep 5th, 2017 at 9:27pm
Print Post  
On my current boat we did 1350 hours on our first motor a 115 4s yammy before we started to have a few issues, the current motor a 4s 150 yammie has done over 2000 hours without any issue till xmas when the harmonic balancer starter to do the yamaha harmonic balancer thing.  Fortunately we picked it up before it came apart and replaced it with a new one (not cheap), this harmonic balancer issue appears to be a bit of a design flaw with the Yammie 150 4 strokes.  Quiet a bit of info about it on the internet.  Our new boat build will have a couple of Hondas on the back, they come with a 7 year warranty provided you get them serviced by a honda service person.

YouTube  
IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:26am
Print Post  
Yes I have been told about the balance issue with the 150 Yamaha.
And yes I like the 7 year warranty with the Honda, and doesn't seem to be any excessive service fees or parts prices more expensive than other brands.
Of coarse genuine parts will be more expensive but better quality and not a bad thing to have if needed.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
I would go for a honda also. Ive had many outboards and honestly the best by far was a Suzuki 150, great motor that I never had an issue with over 1200 hours.
BUT I think the hondas have the edge. Speaking to two different commercial operators last summer that do many hundreds of hours a year and they won't try anything other than honda now.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

boowacker
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2017 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
I like the Senator too, a mate has the same coming shortly with two 115 yams.

If you want someting done, ask someone who's busy.

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:43am
Print Post  
Cheers Boowacker

Spoke to a local bloke today who has offered me a look and a run in his 8m Senator he has had large Stabicrafts and says the Senator is far superior at sea in shitty conditions.
I reckon the RH 780 with twin 150 hondas should be a good set up. Going to be a long but exciting build !!!

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #10 - Sep 8th, 2017 at 5:01pm
Print Post  
They used to call the old mercs social welfare motors... Cause you just keep throwing money at it. The new merc are prob fine

IP Logged

Sea Breeze
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Sep 10th, 2017 at 9:17am
Print Post  
G Man, why not just buy this

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/boats-marine/motorboats/auction-1410072192.htm

No waiting, got some good gear on it. You really need two outboards? Save coin and time on new build. Super reliable yamaha on back.

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #12 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 7:19am
Print Post  
I want twin motors for security, cant see land where we fish so twins would give me piece of mind.
I also want the 780 with the wider beam.
Should be able to build my new set up with all the gear for about 180k

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #13 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 10:47am
Print Post  
With twin Hondas?. The seven year warranty would be a decider for me, as long as the fine print was not too onerous. Good on you G. man for getting the boat you  have your heart set on. I know the feeling, when, after many years in smaller boats, bought my  first Haines SF700.

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

groperman
Forum Font

Farken BANG!!

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 1:23pm
Print Post  
Yea will go for twin 150 Honda's.
And yea 7 year warranty is impressive and the Hondas seem to be up there with the best.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2017 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
7 year warranty sounds pretty good. I've got a Merc but the catch is my closest Mercury dealer is in Paraparamumu which is a bit of a drive from Palmy  Undecided And of course it has to be service by a merc dealer for the warranty

IP Logged

ruffasgutz
Just Joined

yeah right

Reply #16 - Sep 13th, 2017 at 7:28am
Print Post  
I see that Honda are doing some very good discounts at the moment associated with their presence at the Auckland on the water boat show.  My boat builder is ordering my motors at the moment and to go up from 2 x 115 hp with rigging kits, stainless props etc, based on his earlier price (from the begining of the boat build) to 2 x 135 hp hondas with all the gear the additional cost is only 1 k.  I was expecting the cost to upsize the motors to be 6-7 k.  Could be some $ savings for you to order your motors in the next week or two if your are sticking with Hondas.  I see this deal is on their website.

To celebrate Honda Marine’s first official presence at this years Auckland On the Water Boat Show, there will be a limited time offer on all mid to high horsepower Outboard packages sold in the build up and during the show. For a limited time, Honda will be providing free standard rigging kits on all Honda BF80 – BF250 Horsepower engines sold.

This offer runs on all new Honda Outboard purchases made from 20 September until 16 October 2017, while stocks last and at a participating Honda Marine dealer ONLY.  Choose from the following single GMI20 or standard analogue gauges dependent on your boat and standard 17” 3 blade alloy prop for non-tiller BF80 – BF115 and standard 17” stainless prop for BF135 – BF250 Honda outboard engines with standard Honda Marine side-mount remote control and harness included.

YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards