Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Salmon fishing in Alaska..... (Read 1275 times)
UstaBZee

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Salmon fishing in Alaska.....
Sep 1st, 2017 at 2:49am
Print Post  
Just got back from 6 weeks in Alaska.   The salmon took a beating while we were there. We stayed with friends at Palmer and didn't waste any time getting on the water.  Second day we were there we took Ken's boat and put in on the Knik river to fish for Kings....

We saw a moose on the bank not far from where we were fishing...

Ken's wife Patti was the first to hook up....it took a while to land the fish!

when we got it on the scale it weighed 25lbs.....

We hooked 5 that afternoon....I managed to land this one.

It weighed 18lbs....the three others we hooked broke off and one managed to break a rod in the process...

Later in the trip we visited Valdez and Ken said he thought the pink salmon would be in the harbor getting ready to head up the river.  He was right!  We fished off the beach and in about an hour and a half we each caught a 6 fish limit of bright fresh pinks....it was great fun casting pixie spoons in to the harbor with great scenery for a back drop...

As you can imagine we had quite a pile of salmon fillets in the cooler by the time we got done cleaning them.  I have to say that Ken had that fishing planned perfectly.....

During our visit, we fished Montana creek...it runs into the Big Susitna river.  Patti and my wife Raye went fishing there alone while Ken and I were off hunting...and when we got back we all went fishing there again.  The Chum salmon were there and were about done spawning and the pinks were there too, and far enough gone that we didn't bother keeping any of them, but they were all fun to catch.... Lots of people fishing there, so it was what Alaskans call combat fishing, but as ominous as that sounds, everyone was polite and everyone had big fun fishing....lots of fish for everyone!

When Raye and Patti made their first trip to Montana creek the pinks had just shown up and were silver and fresh so they kept these 3 to eat....

By the last trip you can see that the fish are deteriorating...note the big hump on the males back...pinks are known as humpies also....

If you ever have the chance to go to Alaska, don't hesitate.....lots of unspoiled fishing and beautiful scenery for everyone....

Z

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Re: Salmon fishing in Alaska.....
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Hi Z,

Great photos and report . Many thanks for taking the time to post it.

Why do the pinks get the "hump" on them ?

The colour of the water when you were in the boat is it glacial or clearing flood water ? How far can you see in it ?

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Salmoner, that water was that color from glacial silt.  Lots of the rivers around Anchorage are glacier fed and run silty most of the summer.  Can't see much in that water.

The salmon go thru a transformation as they complete their spawning run..eventually dying in the stream where they were originally spawned. The pink salmon males grow a hooked jaw, that hump forms on their back, they all change color.  The other species change too, but they are different than the pinks.

The meat deteriorates as the salmon reach the end of their run..so if you want good eating you try to catch them early in their run like we did at the harbor in Valdez.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #3 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 11:16am
Print Post  
UstaBZee wrote on Sep 1st, 2017 at 9:35am:
Salmoner, that water was that color from glacial silt.  Lots of the rivers around Anchorage are glacier fed and run silty most of the summer.  Can't see much in that water.

The salmon go thru a transformation as they complete their spawning run..eventually dying in the stream where they were originally spawned. The pink salmon males grow a hooked jaw, that hump forms on their back, they all change color.  The other species change too, but they are different than the pinks.

The meat deteriorates as the salmon reach the end of their run..so if you want good eating you try to catch them early in their run like we did at the harbor in Valdez

Same as here.

How long are the rivers from the sea to the spawning grounds ?
At a guess our spawning grounds are 60 miles ? from the sea

IP Logged

UstaBZee

Reply #4 - Sep 1st, 2017 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
It varies, anywhere from 5 to 80 miles or more...

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Sep 2nd, 2017 at 7:31am
Print Post  
Nice report and photos, I've just bin too French pass nz for a couple of days with friends, our friend had just got back from Alaska with some smoked pink, white and halibut ,wow. Yeah no hesitation from me too go if I ever get the chance.  Cheers

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

Reply #6 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 12:47am
Print Post  
nice  Cool

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

wazza56
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2017 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
might have to look at that next year, should be there about this time. Might have to get some pointers off you UstaBZee

Keep your barrel clean and your powder dry

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #8 - Sep 24th, 2017 at 7:41am
Print Post  
Thanks for posting yr trip Z,great photos and i bet that salmon tasted nice.Well done. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

J32
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Oct 5th, 2017 at 1:37pm
Print Post  
Nice photos of your trip. Great catches too!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards