Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) Reloading consistency (Read 2132 times)
willyr1

DGA LONGBOWS ALL THE WAY!

Reloading consistency
Aug 27th, 2017 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
I'm loading for the first time in over ten years so have a few questions that have arisen. Loading for my .270 and I'm getting a large difference in velocity 71fps  is the biggest variation with ar2213sc. 48fps is the biggest difference with 2209. Is this normal? To improve my group size I want to get this right down so next time I'll pay a lot more attention with weighing the powder but anything else to watch for?

DGA longbow 59#@28
Grizzlystik Qarbon Nano 2 67#@28

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Reloading consistency
Reply #1 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 9:06pm
Print Post  
most accurate load........ many a GREAT load has been ruined by a chrony.

IP Logged

willyr1

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Hahaha yea I know. It seams that the 110gn Barnes TSX with 56.5gn 2209 doing 3231fps with no pressure signs were the most accurate. Nothing seams to group as tight as id like. Even an old load that I used ten years ago when I was shooting and reloading a lot was twice the size of what it once was. I can put a lot of thus down to me being rusty and needing more time behind the trigger to hone old skills but the variation in speed makes me think maybe it's not just me?

DGA longbow 59#@28

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:57am
Print Post  
Start with new brass, size, trim and neck turn to get them all as diamensionally similar as possible. Load with powders that fill the case completely then you'll see a better SD. Getting consistantly 20 or less is pretty good for a hunting rifle.

Just do it

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:19am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 9:06pm:

?

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:59am
Print Post  
6.5x55bjai wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:19am:

?

What he is meaning is that a lot of shooters are happy with a group/load, then they run it over a chrony and find the velocity is too low, or the ES is too high. If they hadn't shot it over the chrony they would have been happy with it.

IP Logged

willyr1

Reply #6 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:14am
Print Post  
What is the ES stug?

DGA longbow 59#@28

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #7 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 10:09am
Print Post  
stug wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:59am:
6.5x55bjai wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:19am:

?

What he is meaning is that a lot of shooters are happy with a group/load, then they run it over a chrony and find the velocity is too low, or the ES is too high. If they hadn't shot it over the chrony they would have been happy with it.

Ah, so it's the shooter that ruins the load, by making a   decision based on data from the chrony, instead of being happy with the group size for the purpose required or the velocity and also probably trying to claw those extra few fps that the animal won't notice. TIC  Smiley
None of my loads have ever been ruined by my chronograph. Felt at times like ruining my chronograph though.

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 10:20am
Print Post  
willyr1 wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 9:14am:
What is the ES stug?

ES is extreme spread. Highest to lowest velocity for cartridges loaded with same weight powder etc. ideally the ES should be below 20fps.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai

Reply #9 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 10:55am
Print Post  
willyr1 wrote on Aug 27th, 2017 at 8:35pm:
I'm loading for the first time in over ten years so have a few questions that have arisen. Loading for my .270 and I'm getting a large difference in velocity 71fps  is the biggest variation with ar2213sc. 48fps is the biggest difference with 2209. Is this normal? To improve my group size I want to get this right down so next time I'll pay a lot more attention with weighing the powder but anything else to watch for?

What sort of groups are you getting?

Without knowing your setup, experience, Walkerís advise is pretty valid. How old is your bras? Is it all one brand, and so on. What are your scales like? So many variables. Otherwise it is all about consistancy in every aspect of the process.

Out last week with a mate doing work on a 284 and was getting very high ES @ 76 with 2213sc and 26 using 2209. Work still in progress as velocity is still low but in the 284ís case the 2209 gives more flexibility. None of this helps you though as you have a different rifle and different cartridge.

Shot some factory Winchester 223 ammo recently (first time I have used factory ammo for many many moons) and was astounded at how bad the ES was. Mind you the accuracy was crap as well.
I have seen real good groups shot at 100yds with high ES and likewise piss poor groups with low ES.

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #10 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 5:40pm
Print Post  
Theres even another litltle twist, allot of hunting projectiles and some target projectiles have a variation in weight and size per box. If you weigh all of a box of 130grn 270's 30% could be slighly under weight, 30% correct and the other 30% overweight. if you start doing long range target shooting seriously then you weigh and sort into the three groups, then shoot as seperate batches.

Just do it

IP Logged

willyr1

Reply #11 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. Few good things to think about. The rifle is a Weatherby vanguard. It will be around 1500-2000 rounds old. I got in new 14 years ago and has been relatively unused in the last 10 years. So in the first 4 years i put a lot of work through it and always cleaned it but maybe not as thoroughly as I should have and sometimes not as soon  after it was used as I should have but the bore looks in good Nick despite the abuse and amount of rounds on a hot barrel it's had. The brass is harnady once fired from the same rifle. Full length resize but not batch weighed. The scales I have been using are a bit dicky and I've found sometimes they stick a bit so possible that this could have added to the issue. The best group I got was 30mm  with an old load that used to shoot half that easy off the bench at 100m. The worst group was the factory hornady I've been using hence where the once fired hornady brass is from. I've still got 40 rounds of the shit and it's grouping 3 inch at 100m so I might pull it all and re weigh the powder cause it's shit and I only want the brass to start reloading.
Cheers and I hope this is enough info to say I'm on the right path or something need to change?

DGA longbow 59#@28

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #12 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Try giving the bore a polish with autosol. Nice long strokes up and down the bore and you'll 'feel' any rough spots which you can then concentrate on.

Just do it

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:31pm
Print Post  
You need to give it a good clean and de-copper first. Copper tends to build up in the throat so pay more attention there.

Just do it

IP Logged

Homer
Forum Font

Life's Short, Shoot Fast!!!

Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
Walker wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:27pm:
Try giving the bore a polish with autosol. Nice long strokes up and down the bore and you'll 'feel' any rough spots which you can then concentrate on.

G'Day Fella's,

Please keep the Autosol for your car, and don't put it any where near a good barrel, it will eventually ruin it.

Willyr1, If you want consistent velocities and groups, you need to have everything else consistent.
So start with trimming all your Same Brand and Batch of cases to the same length (case neck turning is not required on a hunting rifle). Then lightly chamfer/debur the inside of the case necks.
If your .270 cases are the same one's you were reloading 10 years ago, you may need to anneal them. Or get some new one's, if you can't remember how many times they have been reloaded.
Re-size these cases using sufficient case lube (Trial and Error but best to start off with to much and work back until they get a bit sticky). You can always wipe off the excess case lube, after sizing, but it's difficult add more lube, if the case is stuck in the die!
Seat your primers to be just below flush the case.
Weigh your powder charges to be within, 0.1 of a grain of each other.
Gently seat your bullets to a predetermined Over All Length (OAL). I usually seat them to be 0.020" to 0.030" off the bore lands, inside the barrel.

After the ammo is loaded, you need to do the following.
Get a target that matches your scopes reticle, as an aiming point.
Get a good and steady front and rear rest/sand bags etc.

I hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Lick the Lolly Pop of Mediocrity Just Once and You Will Suck For Life!!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards