Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Just an 80 pounder?? (Read 1418 times)
Sneaka

I love short range hunting

Just an 80 pounder??
Aug 27th, 2017 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Had a cracker hunt yesterday. After a leisurely start I picked up friends son and we headed in to a local forestry block. Hunted our way around in what is a steep and very shitty freshly thinned block for no result. Very little pig sign. Got to an area of new pines and cut over and the dogs lifted. They and we spent nearly an hour in an area of about a km by 500m trying to find the owner of some marks and scent (for the canine hunters). Towards the end my dog tracked off and way up back towards where we had come from. My young (1.5 yrs) bitch cottoned on and tracked him for over 500m before coming back after quite a look around. Happy with that for a pup's effort. He went off the gear and stayed that way. I said to my young companion that I thought a pig had twigged the dogs and snuck out. We headed way back up following up his last signal and then on a corner got a fresh one showing him treed way above us. We gapped it up there and when we got within 300m we could hear him bailing. Off the pup went and then they were bailing beautifully just off the track. He had tracked that pig more than 1.5km. I snuck in and shot it in the eye at five metres in tight gorsey crap. 80 odd pound fat boar. I was stoked with him. What an effort and find and he would have had it for 40 minutes by himself. He is six years old and still getting better. We called it quits on a win and headed for home. The pig was skinned and hung overnight to set and chill, then carefully cut up and frozen. My family is having rolled stuffed roast pork for dinner tonight. There was a pig hunting comp this weekend locally and I couldn't help but think that this pig would not have even made average weight and half the entrants would have been disappointed with it. I reckon we won first place with a find and stop like that in very hard country and a big bag of prime eating pork. You should have seen the smile on the young fella too. You can stick leaving that pig hanging out in the sun and flies just so you can piss higher up the post than the next bloke. The sooner we end comps the better. I had a ball with little dogs, a young hunter and an average sized, fat (single) pig. That is what is is really all about.  Cheers,

Sneaka  Wink

IP Logged

013fish

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Just an 80 pounder??
Reply #1 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 3:29pm
Print Post  
Sounds likes good hunt, dogs put in a good effort with the find and come out with a nice eating pig....can't get much better than that  Smiley

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #2 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 5:28pm
Print Post  
Well done,enjoy the pork. Cool

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
couldnt agree with you more,catch a good eating pig for the table is way better than a smelly old boar...easier on dogs and far easier on tired old legs and back too. dont forget the apple sauce to go with the pork.

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #4 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:10pm:
couldnt agree with you more,catch a good eating pig for the table is way better than a smelly old boar...easier on dogs and far easier on tired old legs and back too. dont forget the apple sauce to go with the pork.

You're on to it.  First meal off it was outstanding!

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Totally agree Sneaka 👍👍

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 8:05am
Print Post  
Having said that though the local club here has a comp where the focus is all about family and kids.
Got me thinking about joining.

IP Logged

Sneaka

Reply #7 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Agree. I think kids hunts where the focus is about kids and adults in it together FOR THE KIDS, then there is a very different feeling. Very different from the adults comps where the weigh in is often combined with excess drinking and fighting. I hate seeing stags hanging there too and would love to see more possums and hares with proud five year olds. The whole comp thing is a real issue. There are some good ones no doubt where it is community based around whanau, but there seem to be more and more commercially based ones based around making money, pushing a product or a pub. It seems to be the main way pig hunting clubs run a fund raiser but I don't agree with that. It shows the club promoting the wrong reason for hunting. If the top prize was a only bag of dog biscuits then we would soon see which ones were there for the right reasons. I stopped buying pig hunting magazines years ago because they were half filled with pictures and summaries of weigh ins. So boring. I know a lot of older hunters who used to enter the comps who now have nothing to do with them due to what they are promoting. Bottom line is that it is all about your dogs, mates, food and fun. Life is short. Hunt only for the fun of it and enjoy. Wink

IP Logged

kiwikid

Reply #8 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:28am
Print Post  
Fully agree meat is what it's all about  Wink

Beginner hunter and fisher but mad about the lot Rv

IP Logged

kiwikid

Reply #9 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Fully agree meat is what it's all about  Wink

Beginner hunter and fisher but mad about the lot Rv

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 8:14am
Print Post  
Re comps. I just have to question how many hunters feed a mob of pigs up out the back of a farm, then wait with a rifle on comp weekend.
To me the numbers don't stack up either.
The average weekend in say kroa there might be 1 or 2 good boars caught, but on a comp weekend there'll be maybe 20 boars all over 120lb hanging up.
Pig hunting doesn't work like that. You don't chase a pig twice a week for months then nail it on comp weekend (well sometimes but not very much).
There's a large amount of luck to it.

IP Logged

southotago hern

Meat hunter for life

Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2017 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
that's my theroy is secure an eating pig then chase boars. Best bait for boars is a cycleing sow in a crate . It took me a while to figure out why i was shooting 150lb boars around my house after about 10 boars i clicked on to it bit wet behind the ears on my part but bring the pigs up to the light and pick em off no dramas . not the excitment of dogs but no vet bills either

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards