Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic pup not making eye contact (Read 5658 times)
Bettinsoli
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: pup not making eye contact
Reply #15 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 12:52am
Print Post  
Tikka T3 wrote on Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:58pm:
Or at 11 weeks old he is thinking shite this is boring there must be something more exciting than this Wink

Not sure where this advice came from (probably Lisset) but rather than think the dog is saying f. you make sure he understands what is wanted of him. My dogs training went ahead a lot with that change of thought.

You've not seen one of Lisset's dvd's have you? He's never talked about that sort of thing.

IP Logged

Bettinsoli
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 12:53am
Print Post  
Your pup is avoiding eye contact with you because you are doing too much. Slow down, you have two years to make a gundog, not five minutes.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #17 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Actually we are trying to make an effort not to rubbish other peoples' opinions. Perhaps just offering advice based on what you have found during previous training, would stop the dog section sliding back into the slanging match it has been.

Bettinsoli wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 12:53am:
Your pup is avoiding eye contact with you because you are doing too much. If you follow what has been said you will ruin it. Slow down, you have two years to make a gundog, not five minutes.

IP Logged

Bettinsoli
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #18 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 2:42am
Print Post  
Sorry, it's just my opinion. I just don't want him to ruin it.

I edited my earlier post.

IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #19 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 10:38am
Print Post  
Quote:
You've not seen one of Lisset's dvd's have you? He's never talked about that sort of thing.

You are right I haven't seen one of Lisset's dvd's, I have actually seen the four of them in fact several times, quite easy when you own the set.

I did say "probably' and stand corrected that it wasn't Lisett. Correct spelling by the way taken from his dvd set.

Regardless of that I believe through experience what I said about making sure the dog understands what is required of it before jumping to the conclusion it is being defiant.

Why do you say two years as the time line to make a gundog?

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #20 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 7:02pm
Print Post  
At about 12 weeks a pup goes from being under sole care of its mother to being under the pack leaders rules. You don't need to do anything till after that. Good time for the kids to look after pups feed them bond. Then at twelve weeks, you take over the feeding and playing/teaching.
A week to late for you sorry but maybe help someone eles. Great if you want a family dog as well as a hunting dog.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #21 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Tama wrote on Aug 25th, 2017 at 5:39am:
Thanks for the advice hes my first pup so its a learning experience I will slow down a bit, and go a bit easier on him Smiley

Thats great, shows you can take advice, and willing to listen. Thats a big step as a newbie dog trainer.

Young dogs put under a lot of pressure too fast often have all the drive trained out of them, they become timed, uncertain, withdrawn.

Just summing up.. the general consensus is, too much too soon.

Very young dog, and its day should be spent in exploring, being walked around the area, beachs, rural places, the neibourhood, meeting people, all on a long slack line, while it gets to know the world around it, and all the while your there, its partner. You dont want to dominate a dog, what you need is to offer it a partnership in which you make the decisions..

Lots of tactile, lots of encouragement when its reacting the way you want it so you shape its behaviour over days, weeks,  months, and years.

Itll turn to you if you take the pressure of rigid training off, and introduce the right behaviors bit by bit as your bond grows..

Calmness, patience, consitentcy, encoraging, are a few of the qualities I can think off youll need as a new trainer. I think you have those qualities,, youve just read something somewhere that caught your attention and you placing too high a value on it.

Good luck and keep talking on the forum about your dog. Youll need to be able to talk to people to pick up bits and pieces along the way..  Smiley
« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2017 at 7:53am by headcase »  

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Bettinsoli
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #22 - Aug 29th, 2017 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Tikka T3 wrote on Aug 29th, 2017 at 10:38am:
Why do you say two years as the time line to make a gundog?

I believe that because all the training in the world wont give it experience and until it has some it isn't a gundog. But I feel like I've said too much already, am going back to lurking again for a while.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #23 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 5:32am
Print Post  
Keep posting Bettinsoli. Dont worry about T3. Hes like a foxy. Wants to know everything.. listens to nothing.   Grin

His comment about your dog understanding what it is you want  is rock solid  and a cornerstone for training a dog. Sometimes it can take a while to get it across, thats your job,, Wink

Its been an interesting read. Pretty much everyone has said slow down, take the pressure off,  have more fun with the dog, build some trust between you, but everyone says it in a different way. 

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #24 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:35am
Print Post  
A foxy.........really Shocked

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #25 - Aug 30th, 2017 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Tikka T3 wrote on Aug 30th, 2017 at 10:35am:
A foxy.........really Shocked

Maybe not.  Grin

« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2017 at 4:50am by headcase »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards