Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic pup not making eye contact (Read 4531 times)
Tama
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

pup not making eye contact
Aug 23rd, 2017 at 6:08pm
Print Post  
Hey guys Ive got a 11 week old pup who ive had for about 10 days, I taught him come here and he comes everytime and if he doesnt he gets a pull on the long line and he will come. Ive been trying to teach him sit, the first few days were good and he started siting when I said without having to push bum down. Now the last few days he will still come but will rarely ever sit without alot of pressure on the back and "sit" said a few times, I think it is because he has stopped making eye contact with me at most times. When I say sit he will seem to focus on something he cant wait to get to, and wont bother looking at me. Any tips on teaching them to make eye contact and to sit on command? Thanks

IP Logged

zamkiwi

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: pup not making eye contact
Reply #1 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 8:42pm
Print Post  
Try a couple of things.
Make sure when training that its all that is going on.
Kids and chickens are not running around same area.
Also keep lessons real short and finish on a good note.
He is only a baby and u can overload him and he will get bored.

Taking the gun for a walk, oh yeah

IP Logged

Sauer

Reply #2 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
I'm certainly no expert, but to teach a dog to sit I believe you are meant to get him/her to lift their head and look up at you - never push down on their rump.

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #3 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Tama wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 6:08pm:
Hey guys Ive got a 11 week old pup who ive had for about 10 days, I taught him come here and he comes everytime and if he doesnt he gets a pull on the long line and he will come. Ive been trying to teach him sit, the first few days were good and he started siting when I said without having to push bum down. Now the last few days he will still come but will rarely ever sit without alot of pressure on the back and "sit" said a few times, I think it is because he has stopped making eye contact with me at most times. When I say sit he will seem to focus on something he cant wait to get to, and wont bother looking at me. Any tips on teaching them to make eye contact and to sit on command? Thanks

Dog is 11 weeks old and you have had him 10 days ... i would say you are putting WAY to much pressure on what is an exceedingly young dog ?

IP Logged

Tama
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice hes my first pup so its a learning experience I will slow down a bit, and go a bit easier on him Smiley

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 8:06am
Print Post  
your pups not making eye contact because its submiting too you, especialy standing over it staring down at it, it sees that as an agresive act, don't forget that dogs think like dogs,,, slow it all down .

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #6 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 9:02am
Print Post  
With a new pup I do the sit and lye down training at meal time. He is keen to get fed and is paying close attention to the food bowl so if you pick that up he will look at it which makes him look up. Then you can try the sit command. As mentioned he is young so a couple of mins at feeding time would be all I would do and if you are going to give him a treat then that's the time to make him earn it Smiley
Good luck

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #7 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 10:25am
Print Post  
All good comments their.

What do you do when the dogs does what you want?

Whats your interaction with the dog at that moment?

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Tama
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Awesome advice guys, im giving him a pat and saying good boy when he does sit, ill try make him look me in the eyes then give him my go command. What do you mean my interaction headcase? thanks

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Aug 25th, 2017 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I tend to do that training at night with the outside light on. I find the dog focuses on me better when they can't be distracted.

IP Logged

tiko hunter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
yea u can  still teach a pup to come and sit at 11 weeks old,but only for a couple of minutes a day,personaly when traing a pup myself on farm when pup comes to a wallago and sit command I want them to not look at me but straight ahead.Loyd smith has a great training dvd called pup pen to paddock worth a look.

IP Logged

Kawhia
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 10:51am
Print Post  
forget this fixation with wanting the pup to eye ball you, it serves no purpose. more so at this stage in his young age.
natural eye contact with the handler comes as the pup grows and it's training starts to sink in, all those fetch games and steadiness training prior to release will build the relationship to the point the young dog will be searching for your signals, hence why they start looking at your face...never stare back at a pup unless you are reprimanding it, pick a spot between the eyes and stare at that for everything else.

"Pedigree indicates what the animal should be. Conformation indicates what the animal appears to be. Performance indicates what the animal actually is."

IP Logged

Tama
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 7:48pm
Print Post  
That makes alot of sense kawhia, he seems to be learning slowly and now that im not trying to make him stare me in the eyes, he tends to be doing it a little bit more. He still needs plenty of work but ill take it real slow cause I do have plenty of time.

Ill make another thread introducing him.

IP Logged

Barat

Life is too short to hunt
with an ugly dog!

Reply #13 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 7:22am
Print Post  
bufferzone wrote on Aug 25th, 2017 at 8:06am:
your pups not making eye contact because its submiting too you, especialy standing over it staring down at it, it sees that as an agresive act, don't forget that dogs think like dogs,,, slow it all down .

I agree slow it down but just as an aside ... a pup does not always refrain from looking at you because it is submissive to you. You need to read the whole dog picture - sometimes it won't look becuase it is actually saying "F You - I'll do what I want to do".

Jenny and her B(a)rat pack!
IP Logged

Tikka T3
Forum Font

Reply #14 - Aug 28th, 2017 at 8:58am
Print Post  
Or at 11 weeks old he is thinking shite this is boring there must be something more exciting than this Wink

Not sure where this advice came from (probably Lisset) but rather than think the dog is saying f. you make sure he understands what is wanted of him. My dogs training went ahead a lot with that change of thought.

When did I realise I was God? While I was praying I realised I was talking to myself.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards