Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 10 Gauge?. (Read 2120 times)
GDMP
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

10 Gauge?.
Aug 17th, 2017 at 10:22pm
Print Post  
Anyone here use a 10 ga for their game bird hunting?.

IP Logged

Matty-o

Re: 10 Gauge?.
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
You see the occasional load of ammo pop up on tm. I havent seen a gun as yet. Ammo is pretty expensive, but they are surely the ultimate goose gun. Cowboy movies are the only places that I have seen them unfortunately. The whole steel shot thing surely wouldnt apply to them either.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2017 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
I know to local goose hunters who use 10g. they load their own ammo. and yes the lead ban applies to them if used over water

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #3 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:09am
Print Post  
Do you reckon goose shooters would use them if they were more readily available?.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Aug 21st, 2017 at 2:29pm
Print Post  
GDMP wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:09am:
Do you reckon goose shooters would use them if they were more readily available?.

We used to import 10 ga guns and ammo back in the day of lead shot and a few goose shooters used them , there are problems other than ammo cost , the recoil , even in semi autos is horrendous as is the muzzle blast , the guns are usually so heavy they are hard to carry let alone mount and swing and also they are slow to get on to another target .
The 10ga has largely been superseded by the 3˝" 12 ga load , which has a similar load and velocity ,and the 3˝" gun is more versatile ,being able to shoot 3 " and 2 3/4  loads
The 10 will pattern a little better than the 12 but the difference is not worth the effort.
Don't forget goose shooters out of season can use lead shot any where, except DOC land .
If you want to shoot slugs or buckshot loads then the 10 is most awesome way to go , I have a mate who uses one on pig control out of a R22  Shocked Shocked

Shooting is the most fun you can legally have with your clothes on .
Proverbs 12:27
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #5 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
Recoil would only be severe because of the factory ammo currently being offered,for those willing to load their own it would be a simple matter to make 10 ga shells in shorter length with less payload and considerably less recoil.Just like a 12 recoil would be severe or moderate depending on the load used.

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 8:41am
Print Post  
GDMP wrote on Aug 22nd, 2017 at 6:17pm:
Recoil would only be severe because of the factory ammo currently being offered,for those willing to load their own it would be a simple matter to make 10 ga shells in shorter length with less payload and considerably less recoil.Just like a 12 recoil would be severe or moderate depending on the load used.

That is like putting a governor on a Porsche and calling it a Volkswagen  Grin Grin

The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

IP Logged

MassiveAttack
Forum Font

Setting trends in waterfowling
fashion since 2011

Reply #7 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 11:18am
Print Post  
GDMP wrote on Aug 21st, 2017 at 7:09am:

I don't even use 3 inch shells when goose shooting so personally I can't see the point of 10 gauge.  It might be different if skybusting pass shooting was your thing.

This is my rifle, there are many like it but this one is mine.  Without my rifle I am useless, without me it is useless.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #8 - Aug 23rd, 2017 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Im with you massive !!!!
all bang and recoil. What next ? surface to air missiles
Over the last 2 years Ive taken several geese , over decoys , calling. With my 28 gauge gun. 1oz of 5s, target the head !!
DEAD GOOSE

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:24am
Print Post  
Miroku wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 4:39pm:
Im with you massive !!!!
Over the last 2 years Ive taken several geese , over decoys , calling. With my 28 gauge gun. 1oz of 5s, target the head !!
DEAD GOOSE

Well in the next few years you will be required to use steel in your 28 over decoys,not sure how you will go there.Or even if you will be able to obtain them in NZ.

IP Logged

GDMP
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:26am
Print Post  
Flintlock wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 8:41am:

That is like putting a governor on a Porsche and calling it a Volkswagen  Grin Grin

But more fun that the recoil a full-throtte  3& half inch 10 gauge would generate.....

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
GDMP wrote on Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:24am:
Miroku wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 4:39pm:
Im with you massive !!!!
DEAD GOOSE

Well in the next few years you will be required to use steel in your 28 over decoys,not sure how you will go there.Or even if you will be able to obtain them in NZ.

Remember Geese are not licenced game birds , those rules dont apply except on DOC land .

IP Logged

Flintlock
Donor Member

Reply #12 - Aug 24th, 2017 at 3:16pm
Print Post  
GDMP wrote on Aug 24th, 2017 at 9:26am:
Flintlock wrote on Aug 23rd, 2017 at 8:41am:

But more fun that the recoil a full-throtte  3& half inch 10 gauge would generate.....

I am due to have my right shoulder joint replaced any time soon , it got shot loose , so I do not enjoy recoil any more Sad

IP Logged

Salmoner
Donor Member

I love salmon fishin

Reply #13 - Aug 26th, 2017 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Without a shadow of doubt a 10g is required every now and then ...

I believe this is Massive and Boomstick  Wink  on a paddock just off the Ellesmere Road ?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_VMdQBO2jNE4/Sqkw-TciMOI/AAAAAAAAA1Q/SpTVAu2jfw8/s320/3...

Shocked Shocked   Grin

IP Logged

canadakiwi
Donor Member

Nothing is ever as simple
as we hope it will be

Reply #14 - Aug 27th, 2017 at 10:56am
Print Post  
I've just sold my Remington Sp10 semi ten gauge, had it ,8-9 seasons, for pass shooting on  geese, mostly I shoot a 16 ga semi for waterfowl, but having the ten,a  couple times a season, it  was the right tool for the job,
They are heavy, mine was close to 12 lbs, but once you up, they shoot-well, I had great results with mine, at out to 50 m or more, I hand loaded a, 1.5-2 oz of itx (iron tungsten),  or busmuith, at 1400 fps,  steel at 1600fps, 40 gr Alliant steel powder from memory.
For high birds,pass shooting or birds sliding of the end of the decoys out of range of the12ga, they are with out equal.
One memorable shoot in Northern Alberta, had the specs, ( white front geese) sliding of the edge of the spread, out of range,
I walked back to the truck, and got the ten gauge, I lined up of the next flight, picking the lead bird, and fired felling one behind, not enough lead, picked of two more,(3 shot limit) and repeated several triples in a row, before handing gun to a mate, who shot a few more.
Love the sound of the 10 ga cycling cur chunk,  Coolrecoil is stout, but no worse that a 12 ga with 3.5", I found most 12ga 3.5" to be worse , as ten ga shot guns,  are normally heavier.
Specialize tool in my view.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards