Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Molesworth 1080 (Read 12034 times)
Cantyguy
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Molesworth 1080
Aug 10th, 2017 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
So where are the 2 areas that the Blenhiem branch of NZDA think it should be used. Ospri wouldn't divulge it at the Hanmer meeting nor would they confirm its use in these areas.

Digital Hunter...in search of the perfect pic

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Re: Molesworth 1080
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
OOPS MY BAD! Should read what are the 2 areas the NZDA think repellent should be used. Pretty much the whole area is being 1080'd starting in September.

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 9:03pm
Print Post  
How the hell do I edit this....having a bad night   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #3 - Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
From what I understood some of the area (2017 aerial)will have repellant used but not the whole lot due to budget and OSPRI are working with the Marlborough NZDA to identify which areas or area etc, undecided as of yesterday. Repellant will be used for part of it due to high hunter interest as expressed though submissions. I was told by OSPRI that of around 70 submissions received from the whole country roughly 30 were in regard to Molesworth and they have taken note. Apathy is the NZ hunters worst enemy.
Have a look a look at the tbfree website, submissions can be put in for the 2018 tb plan there, open till late September. As well the 2018 Molesworth aerial is mentioned there and repellant to be used in at least a part of it as well. I doubt repellant would have even been considered if there hadn't been a high percentage of submissions received to do with the area.
Was going to introduce myself to you Cantyguy but was accosted by a friendly OSPRI employee after the meeting.

IP Logged

m robbo

Young Hunter Climb High

Reply #4 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Let's hope for an early spring!

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
puddleduk wrote on Aug 10th, 2017 at 10:17pm:
From what I understood some of the area (2017 aerial)will have repellant used but not the whole lot due to budget and OSPRI are working with the Marlborough NZDA to identify which areas or area etc, undecided as of yesterday. Repellant will be used for part of it due to high hunter interest as expressed though submissions. I was told by OSPRI that of around 70 submissions received from the whole country roughly 30 were in regard to Molesworth and they have taken note. Apathy is the NZ hunters worst enemy.
Have a look a look at the tbfree website, submissions can be put in for the 2018 tb plan there, open till late September. As well the 2018 Molesworth aerial is mentioned there and repellant to be used in at least a part of it as well. I doubt repellant would have even been considered if there hadn't been a high percentage of submissions received to do with the area.
Was going to introduce myself to you Cantyguy but was accosted by a friendly OSPRI employee after the meeting.

Well that's a bit of good news. I got the impression they weren't that keen on diverging the areas the NZDA put forward. I did wonder who you were  Wink

IP Logged

Cantyguy
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 6:36pm
Print Post  
I know the deer numbers will bounce back but it would be a bloody shame to loose that big mature stags. Hopefully the NZDA have identified the blocks they are coming from.

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #7 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
Don't get too excited yet Cantyguy. I am hoping the amount of repellant used isn't just a token amount. The problem is the extra cost of the repellant. New baits have and are being developed incorporating repellant greatly reducing the cost to little more than the standard present day baits. Paperwork, red tape is holding up the use of them at the moment.
The deer won't have much time to bounce back as the 2017 aerial drop area will be repeated in2-3 years.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #8 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
puddleduk wrote on Aug 11th, 2017 at 7:35pm:
New baits have and are being developed incorporating repellant greatly reducing the cost to little more than the standard present day baits. Paperwork, red tape is holding up the use of them at the moment.

Are you sure the issue isnt more about testing and proving a new repellent? Sounds like a new one, as EDR was tested incorporated in cereal baits and lost any benefit.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #9 - Aug 11th, 2017 at 10:07pm
Print Post  
Not to sure what exactly the hold up is, most likely what you said, but was told its incorporated into bait at manufacture hence the cheaper cost.

IP Logged

Tararua Hunter
Forum Font

Reply #10 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 9:16am
Print Post  
re the new repellent

this is info we got regarding the Ruahine drop

Quote:
      The new additive for baits to repel deer is being developed for OSPRI/TbFree by Orillion (formerly ACP) but is only in the efficacy testing phase. 
      There will be a small trial associated with OSPRI Kapakapanui operation later this year, Questions being asked are: Does it deter deer & does it have no detrimental impact on possum control?
      I understand that following proof of efficacy then further work on assurance for safety to environment and non-target species will need to be undertaken before the bait can be registered for use
      Until the bait is registered for use it cannot legally be used in an operational scenario (it can be used for trial purposes but I believe only on a very limited basis)

IP Logged

ex-rabbithunter
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Aug 12th, 2017 at 5:52pm
Print Post  

"the only good Wallaby is a dead one"

IP Logged

puddleduk

Reply #12 - Sep 18th, 2017 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Submissions close Friday 29 September, the last submissions regarding Molesworth were not completely in vain, with repellant being used in some of this years drop, and hopefully more used in next years drop and those after that.

IP Logged

Mathias

A man can never have too
many guns!

Reply #13 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 2:39pm
Print Post  
345 dead deer counted plus a quantity of pigs & goats, thats the news on Molesworth 1080 drop.

IP Logged

Ruger260
Forum Senior

It makes good reading

Reply #14 - Nov 24th, 2017 at 3:32pm
Print Post  
Absolutely criminal. Total waste of our prime game animals.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards