Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Bringing salted skins back into NZ (Read 987 times)
JW
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Bringing salted skins back into NZ
Aug 8th, 2017 at 9:23am
Print Post  
I'm off to Colorado to hunt elk and Mule deer In October with a friend who lives their. I was thinking if I get lucky about bringing the skin and boiled split skull back with me.
Has anyone had any experience with doing this?
I have downloaded information from MPI's website this morning, but thought it would be good to see if anyone had a practical experience with any useful advice.

Thanks for any advice

IP Logged

JW
Just Joined

Re: Bringing salted skins back into NZ
Reply #1 - Aug 8th, 2017 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
So I got this reply from MPI in case anyone else is interested

relevant clauses below:

3.2 Game trophies
(1) All imported consignments of game trophy skulls, horns, hooves, antlers, bones, tusks, claws, and teeth must be:
a) mounted; or
b) professionally cleaned and processed to a high standard of whiteness; or
c) accompanied by a manufacturer’s declaration verifying that they have been boiled at a minimum of 100°C for at least 30 minutes, and packaged immediately after treatment in a manner so as to ensure that there is no subsequent contamination with untreated goods of a similar nature.

(2) All imported consignments of unmounted game trophy skulls, horns, hooves, antlers, bones, tusks, claws, and teeth must free of extraneous organic material, pest infestation, and evidence of decay on arrival.

(1) All imported consignments of dried or salted game trophy hides and skins must be accompanied by a veterinary certificate verifying that they have been:
a) dried, dry or wet salted, for at least 14 days if originating from a country or zone free from FMD (as per the MPI List of FMD Free Countries/Zones); or
b) dry or wet salted with salt containing 2% sodium carbonate for at least 28 days if originating from a country or zone not free from FMD; and
i) sourced from an area currently free from any outbreaks/epidemics of anthrax; or
ii) treated to deactivate anthrax in accordance with the OIE Code.

(2) All imported consignments of unfinished dried or salted game trophy hides and skins must be free of extraneous organic material, pest infestation, and evidence of decay on arrival.

IP Logged

A J Productions
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Aug 15th, 2017 at 10:45am
Print Post  
Was in the US hunting Elk in 2014 and after a successful hunt I bought back my headskin and antlers with me on my flight. Due to the size of the antlers it will pay to split the skull or it will cost a fortune. Just take the over all spread measurement before doing so. No meat was allowed on either the skull or the headskin and obviously salt the skin.. No paperwork was required so should imagine that hasn't changed. On the customs entry form make sure you state what you have. When coming thru customs they will take you aside. They will take both the antlers and headskin from you and have them fumigated at there facility in Manukau I think it was. After about a week or so they will notify you that it is ready for pickup. It was an easy simple task to do.

IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #3 - Aug 22nd, 2017 at 10:32am
Print Post  
I'm just back from Argentina with a Blackbuck trophy.  I brought the salted headskin, cleaned skull cap (boiled, detached horns)..  Fumigated in Beunos Aires with the appropriate paper work.    Obviously I declared the items on arrival at Auckland.  Despite the B.A. treatment & documents, the items have been seized by MPI for further fumigation.
I feel vulnerable until I get the items safely to the taxidermist.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2018. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards