Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic snares for pigs (Read 1664 times)
Miroku

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

snares for pigs
Jul 31st, 2017 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Ive just gained access to a property that is scrubby and seems to have a few pigs on it. Ive found a couple of wallows . I dont have dogs. Ive been reading about the use of snares for pigs and I was wondering if any of the readers here have any experience with them . value any advise
Cheers

IP Logged

ileso
Just Joined

Re: snares for pigs
Reply #1 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 3:40am
Print Post  
Not being legal where I live because here boar are a native animal and snaring is considered unfair and cruel I do however know some people of the poacher class that prefer this method for the obvious reasons. Snaring pigs is real easy as is just waiting for them with a shotgun. for the latter all you need is a trailcam to figure out their timetable to the wallow and a rifle or shotgun, night vision equiptment or a flashlight of the correct colour. Get to the place an hour before, careful with wind direction..

to snare them is fairly simple. being animals that use the same trails in the snare needs to be on the trails at head height. where the trail passes between two trees, a hole in a fence or under a low branch will be the best spot. check the trails to see which trails are being frequented at the moment as they may not use the same ones all the time. dont use the snares too close to the wallow so they dont associate the snare with the wallow and continue to frequent the wallow. else they will generally pack up and leave. a couple of hundred meters is close enough

8mm steel rope (rope, note wire) and you are good to go. either swage the loop or use wire rope grips/clamps. tie the other end around a sturdy tree also with appropriate rope grips. by sturdy i mean sturdy. they can and will uproot or snap anything that is too fragile.

some poachers around my way also tie the other end of the snare to a long strong pole/log/tree etc It needs to be heavy so the noose will tighten, then that the pig will run dragging the pole behind it until it gets stuck somewhere. easy to track because the pole will smash everything in the way creating a easy trail to follow.
another way poachers work here is with a tripwire shotgun. this is a very stupid and dangerous thing to do for all the obvious reasons. I don't recommend it.

I dont generally recommend snares either as i reckon they are a cruel way to kill an animal, like hanging a man only the animal chokes itself trying to get away. or the steel rope will dig into its skin if the rope is too thin. Pigs are very strong and they will pull as hard as they can. I hunt boar here where I live and have more than a few times encountered large pigs missing a trotter or even a whole snout because they were caught around a trotter or the snout for whatever reason and pulled hard enough to get away minus a body part. sometimes if caught behind the tusks they will work at the rope until they literally saw through the teeth for example... Its not pretty.

I do however understand the significance of these animals in places like NZ, Australia or the US... so I also believe they should be controlled by whatever means necessary as their menace to the local environment put other species at risk etc.

anyway, if you do use snares, please check them daily and disable them if you go away for a few days. No need to have the animals suffer needlessly or to have them die and begin to go off because you only go out there once a week or went away for the weekend... not only that dogs will get caught in them. these could be yours, your neighbors or a hunters dog...you will need to take a shotgun, revolver or rifle to dispatch live animals. use extreme caution when approaching any snared animal as they will be in a very agitated state of mind and extremely dangerous.

IP Logged

SouthernConversion
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
The law change in 2015 makes this type of activity illegal in NZ under willful ill-treatment of a wild animal. You'd have to be dying of starvation to justify snaring

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
Ahh , ok southern thxs , didnt realise that was the case,as Ive just seen our local regional council using imported snares to catch pigs that had come into back yards on the city edges, eating veges etc . in areas where they cannot be shot.
I knew I couldnt buy snares here so thats why was asking about home made ones

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
A pig cage trap would be the kinder choice there are some good designs if you google it but the same rules check it every day.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #5 - Oct 10th, 2017 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
I thought about a cage trap. not easy to get into this area though. When I saw the regional council using snares I thought ah ah , now that could work. But didnt know it was frowned on .
Maybe they are exempt from the regs ? or they just write themselves a dispensation

IP Logged

ileso
Just Joined

Reply #6 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 1:04am
Print Post  
ok, you can still ambush them though. just need to figure out their timetables using a trail cam.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #7 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 2:09pm
Print Post  
I think one trick that some people use is to shoot a goat and peg it down so the pig can't drag it away, then stalk up on where you left the goat the next day or so.

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #8 - Oct 11th, 2017 at 9:42pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

ileso
Just Joined

Reply #9 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:40am
Print Post  
sako, that thin steel wire will tear through the pigs skin and amputate a leg or snout. if it gets around the neck it will tear into the flesh killing it so you will have maggots crawling by the time you find the animal.

that is definitely not a good idea.

rugerman, you dont need to go to so much trouble, if the wallows are used frequently you just need to stake out the most used path to the wallow and wait for them to arrive.

IP Logged

Miroku

Reply #10 - Oct 12th, 2017 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
thxs Ileso, I thought the same thing . the snares I saw the council guys setting were about 8mm braided wire and they had some sort of locking device that stopped them coming undone . But I think Ill give the snare idea away. Ive been sent a diagram from the states for a live trap made from a 44gall drum. it looks good , cause only smaller pigs could get into it. and Id be able to carry two up on my quad

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Oct 13th, 2017 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
ileso wrote on Oct 12th, 2017 at 6:40am:
sako, that thin steel wire will tear through the pigs skin and amputate a leg or snout. if it gets around the neck it will tear into the flesh killing it so you will have maggots crawling by the time you find the animal.

that is definitely not a good idea.

rugerman, you dont need to go to so much trouble, if the wallows are used frequently you just need to stake out the most used path to the wallow and wait for them to arrive.

They work. Trust me both on deer and pigs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards