Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 7x61 Sharp & Hart (Read 459 times)
Kotare II
Just Joined

7x61 Sharp & Hart
Jul 29th, 2017 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Anyone out there currently reloading 7x61 Sharp & Hart?  Just purchased a nice 98 actioned rifle in this cal complete with dies and enough new brass to keep me going for a very long time.  Interested in hearing what projectiles/powders/loads others are using?
Also whats the real story with the 7x61 'Super'.  Best I can gather on line is that its just a Norma case design with a larger internal capacity - no external case measurement differences with the original 7x61?  I'm guessing that if I keep to loads designed for the original I'll still be able to safely punch out a 154gn projectile at close to 3000fps?

IP Logged

evergreen

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: 7x61 Sharp & Hart
Reply #1 - Jul 29th, 2017 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
Good one bro...if its the Parker hale one recently on trade me you have done my marital life a great favour..couldn't stop looking at it...hope it shoots well for you

IP Logged

Walker
Donor Member

Yum T-rex

Reply #2 - Jul 30th, 2017 at 10:00am
Print Post  
A mate has one and its a real shooter, powder wise holds about 6-8 grns less then a rem mag. If the twist is faster then 1:10 look to load 160gns for best bang for your buck. Best powders are in the burn rate slower then 2213 but faster then retumbo/2225

Just do it

IP Logged

Kotare II
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2017 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
For those who may have happened upon this post are are interested or for any with a 7x61mm collecting dust in the cupboard.  So far I've worked up one load that I'm more than happy with.  Chanced on an old Hornaday reloading manual with loads for the 7x61mm.
139gn Hornaday SST projectile in front of 60gn AR2209.  This should be pushing just over 3000fps going by the manual and is shooting sub MOA - groups around 1.5" at 200m.
A surprisingly mild recoil compared with a .270 of approximately the same weight.
This rifle has the 1/10 twist so looking forward to developing a load with a 162gn projectile - will try the slower powders i.e AR2213SC

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards