Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Optics for rem 700 awr .300win mag (Read 1170 times)
Dirty old mossberg
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Optics for rem 700 awr .300win mag
Jul 27th, 2017 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
Hey fellas! I've recently decided to upgrade the old Mossberg and went out and bought one of those flash new rem 700awr in 300winmag. Now I don't know a great deal about fancy long range scopes but I was looking at putting a swarovski z5 3-18 on it but was informed that it might run out of elevation? This being the case, what are my options? Within about 3grand. Cheers lads!!

IP Logged

Philipo
Forum Font

Still waiting for my Section-Eight

Re: Optics for rem 700 awr .300win mag
Reply #1 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 7:37am
Print Post  
Theres plenty of great options for that sort of budget & I like MOA so heres a couple that I'm currently running -

Swarvo Z5 nice & light with great glass & the 4W reticle is probably the best all round hunting reticle on the market , But yeah only 13.5moa with it's zero stop so this will get ya out to 750yards give or take, plenty for hunting but not if you want'a shoot targets & gongs.

Leupold VX6 3-18 TMOA is a great reticle but not sure if they're in NZ yet, great glass & the new twin turn zero lock is a great feature. Leupold have listened to what people wanted & delivered.

NF SHV 5-20, If weight isn't a problem, Nice solid scope that you know will dial perfect, I've recently brought one & am quite Impressed, good features & glass.

Chur

Shoot it, root it & BBQ it !!!

IP Logged

280Rem

Reply #2 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Anyone tried a Remington 700 American wilderness rifle?

Do they shoot ok Out of the box?

IP Logged

Dirty old mossberg
Just Joined

Reply #3 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Cheers mate, yea I've heard good things about the vx6hd, will defiantly give it a look, now someone else said to put a 20moa rain on and the z5 will be good to go? Can someone enlighten me? Cheers

IP Logged

stug
Forum Font

Reply #4 - Jul 28th, 2017 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
No 20moa rail won't work because the the Z5 is limited to one turn.
You use a 20 Moa rail to give you more come up on a scope that is not limited. Say a scope has 60MOA of vertical adjustment. Normal zeroing will see you in be middle of the range with about 30MOA of vertical adjustment left. With a 20MOA rail you will have 50MOA vertical adjustment left.

IP Logged

Ol Curly

Reply #5 - Jul 31st, 2017 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Take the zero stop out of the z5 easy fix  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2017. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards